Sport Chrono package

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:01 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Sport Chrono package

Here's what I get from the Porsche website:

"Including an analog stopwatch on the dashboard, a digital stopwatch in the instrument cluster, and performance display in Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Including support for the lap trigger available separately from Porsche Tequipment for automated and precise lap timing control. The results and video can then be analyzed and compared on your smartphone thanks to the Porsche Track Precision app offered as standard."

I kinda have an idea on what it is, but not really sure as it specifically pertains to the GT3.2, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

1. Does it still change the engine and suspension dynamics in the GT3?
2. What exactly is the Porsche Track Precision app?
3. It mentions video. What video? Seems too much of a good deal at $550 if in car video is included.

Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Here's what I get from the Porsche website:

"Including an analog stopwatch on the dashboard, a digital stopwatch in the instrument cluster, and performance display in Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Including support for the lap trigger available separately from Porsche Tequipment for automated and precise lap timing control. The results and video can then be analyzed and compared on your smartphone thanks to the Porsche Track Precision app offered as standard."

I kinda have an idea on what it is, but not really sure as it specifically pertains to the GT3.2, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

1. Does it still change the engine and suspension dynamics in the GT3?
2. What exactly is the Porsche Track Precision app?
3. It mentions video. What video? Seems too much of a good deal at $550 if in car video is included.

Thanks!!

1- No, nothing added from sport chrono like the other models. GT3 has the PASM button to change the suspension and PDK sport button to change the PDK shift maps. Nothing for the engine, it's already in sport mode. Launch control is also standard if the car has PDK.

2+3 are included with out the sport chrono clock/package. There's an app for the iPhone, the phone does the video. (On the 99.1 you had to add the sport chrono to get the track app, it's now standard).
Old 08-05-2017, 11:41 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

...performance display in Porsche Communication Management (PCM)...
This is the bit that seems to be a little mystery. I haven't been able to find out what that means, what such a display might tell you or look like for instance. I did ask via the dealer and the answer I got was just "no details available yet". Aside from that, on a practical I think the only decision to make around sport chrono is if you want the clock or not.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
This is the bit that seems to be a little mystery. I haven't been able to find out what that means, what such a display might tell you or look like for instance. I did ask via the dealer and the answer I got was just "no details available yet". Aside from that, on a practical I think the only decision to make around sport chrono is if you want the clock or not.
From what I am told, it is the data screens (some or all?) that are now currently only available on the Porsche Track Precision App on the iPhone.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:51 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Sport Chrono

how to charge ppl 500$ for a 30$ watch ?
Old 08-06-2017, 01:19 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I think it looks cool personally... and don't like the dash without it. Breaks the dash up nicely IMO.

But does seem as though unlike some of the other models, there is no performance benefit with or without.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 08-06-2017, 01:26 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I think it looks cool personally... and don't like the dash without it. Breaks the dash up nicely IMO.

But does seem as though unlike some of the other models, there is no performance benefit with or without.

Best Regards,
Dave
I like the proprietary unique data it provides.

Clunky interface aside, some of the data from the Track App is simply not available from aftermarket setups like Harry's, Aim, Racelogic, etc.

A better GPS setup would be nice, however.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:34 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Thank you for the answers, everyone.

So it seems the Sport Chrono on the GT3.2 specifically is indeed nothing more than an expensive dash clock. More bling than function. Oh, well. I guess some of us are running around with more expensive watches on our wrists. I may uncheck it when the build spec freeze comes.

Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:28 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

It all depends on what functionality you get when doing trackdays, and how fast the sampling rate is.
I've seen youtubes of previous versions and those are utterly useless with huge lag on the telemetry overlay.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:38 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

It's a Watch face, but one of the cheapest options and surprisingly good value that you can select. The option used to cost $1700 as it was bundled with the crappy onboard telemetry package. If you like the clock face it's actually a good deal in Porsche world.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It's a Watch face, but one of the cheapest options and surprisingly good value that you can select. The option used to cost $1700 as it was bundled with the crappy onboard telemetry package. If you like the clock face it's actually a good deal in Porsche world.
+1

Your crazy not to option it. It really enhances the look of the dash. Without it, the dash looks barren and similar to a bus dash.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:32 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

It's hard to think of a discussion on a $500 car clock when it is so easy to spend north of $10k for a watch and that is for SS most likely. The optional watch for the GT2 is $14-18k.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:07 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Did not click the box when I ordered my '15 GT3....RS I bought has it....

If it's only $500 now it's a no brainer. Would order it in a heartbeat as it makes the dash look so much better....
Old 08-06-2017, 08:27 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
+1

Your crazy not to option it. It really enhances the look of the dash. Without it, the dash looks barren and similar to a bus dash.
Also commonly know as a WART or ZIT, I guess nowadays that might be considered the equivalent of a BEAUTY MOLE (ref Cyndi ).
Old 08-06-2017, 08:42 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why can a corvette have a track app w a camera that actually is very easy to use just need a sim card and porsche has a very archaic app that needs your phone for it work and oh you can't easliy export any of the data from an iPhone

So yes track app option is a facade for dash clock

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono package