Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Agree^^^
Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Curb feelers. Don't you want curb feelers? That way we could dump the stupid back up cameras and get radio delete back again.
Or you could just use the proximity sensors. NO SCREEN, just a single speaker to emit a beep.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:29 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
What are guy guys on about?
I feel nothing but more front grip.
Most planted *** end I've ever driven. I think something isn't right on the cars you drove.
Agree. Even with less than 1mm toe in per side in rear, the car was hard to get the *** end moving.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:36 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

What are guy guys on about?
I feel nothing but more front grip.
Most planted *** end I've ever driven. I think something isn't right on the cars you drove.
Planted maybe. Feeling and prediction is what I'm on about. Cj may characterized it. "Acquired taste"
Here's feeling: tight lower speed corners near grip limit front end bites in and *** starts to rotate way more than you think it should given the steering inputs.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I've been driving a pdk car since September 2008... many track days too...never ever thought the paddles were to small
Old 08-02-2017, 01:22 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Planted maybe. Feeling and prediction is what I'm on about. Cj may characterized it. "Acquired taste"
Here's feeling: tight lower speed corners near grip limit front end bites in and *** starts to rotate way more than you think it should given the steering inputs.
Chris

Curious how much time you had driving one (assuming Martin's)? When Panda was with her former owner, SSTHO, Golfnutintib and I all did a road trip and rotated thru the cars (RS, GT4, 997.2 GT3). At the time I remember the car doing stuff in the rear that really felt weird and unnerving. The more I drove the RS, the less I noticed it. I honestly don't notice that feeling at all anymore, especially after track time and a lot of miles. I think it's reactions are consistent and your brain just takes it as another input after a while. Just my $.02.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:40 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Chris

Curious how much time you had driving one (assuming Martin's)? When Panda was with her former owner, SSTHO, Golfnutintib and I all did a road trip and rotated thru the cars (RS, GT4, 997.2 GT3). At the time I remember the car doing stuff in the rear that really felt weird and unnerving. The more I drove the RS, the less I noticed it. I honestly don't notice that feeling at all anymore, especially after track time and a lot of miles. I think it's reactions are consistent and your brain just takes it as another input after a while. Just my $.02.
Possibly. Will see when the 991.2 arrives...
would be interesting if you feel the inverse in a non rws car now.
Unnatural is the only real term I can use to describe it.
Not that I couldn't get used to it. But does it feel right. It didn't.

Oh, and yeah... forget the carbon bling bling.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Not mine.

Out of 2nd gear corners it cant get the power down but the rear doesn't want to rotate much at all compared to 997 with LSD.

I never felt RWS. I feel less overall OEM tire grip and relative overall, tons of grip front.
The diff does strange things, I think that is what you mean but it can also be that I'm wrong and that if I feel THAT it's really RWS.

That "open diff" feeling is when the car won't trailbrake in.

Not sure what the minimum speed is for RWS to go from opposite to rear to, neutral and to go with the rears?

BTW, I went to 2mm in rear each side for the next track day.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

And there's this:

And after restart:

After refueling all was back to normal and I finished the weekend and the next, no problem
Old 08-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

That "open diff" feeling is when the car won't trailbrake in.

Not sure what the minimum speed is for RWS to go from opposite to rear to, neutral and to go with the rears?
Yes that explains the sensation. I should be clear, the car doesn't lose grip, it FEELS like it is going to. Like extra rotation feeling. Like by *** isn't calibrated for it.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

OK, that can make sense, maybe because I used to drive the 997RS with a LOT of trailbrake im used to it.
Sebring has a lot of difficult corners on entry.

I've had pros in the car and it was a typical comment about our Toyo RA1 tires allowed to let the car move a lot, specially on trail brake and that in a racecar on slicks that much wouldn't be the fastest way around but on our tires, with our diff it was the only way to keep the front going where I point it.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:51 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Already had a moan about this on a separate thread, but deserves a mention under what's not right with this otherwise great car. I mainly track at Zandvoort in Holland and Spa and had some issues with rubbing but nothing too serious. However, taking the car to the Ring last week was a bit of a shock. I do have just over 2D camber, which may have affected it, but the front wheel liners and the upper part of the spoiler were completely worn through after about 8 laps. There isn't visibly much wear on the tyre, but it's very unpleasant to approach SX at over 160mph with what sounds like your wheels drilling through the chassis. I was advised by a local instructor to have the Manthey adjustments which includes bump stops, but speaking to a mechanic from another high level race team, he reckons that would impair the handling. Imv the car should simply not have this issue and that really bothers me.

Otherwise, the car was phenomenal. Especially the PDK let's you really get on with the driving, which takes that extra bit of concentration at the Ring. I raced there in the VLN until 2011 in a Z4M and wish that car had been as good in full race trim as the 991. Perhaps one other small observation is the relatively low top speed you achieve on the DH, where you really feel the effect of the down force.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:50 AM
GT3RS Scotland
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Biggest problem is they don't make enough of them. If they made more they wouldn't have stupid values and people wouldn't be "collecting" them. They'd just be used as they are designed and we'd not be so worried about ruining their value.

I worry that the 3RS has become a collectors car and the GT4 is the new GT3.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:24 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by roger sf
Love everything about the PDK system - except the stock paddles. They don't have the same high end tactile feel as other makes (especially Ferrari) and they're too small for my liking - sometimes find myself reaching for them on corner exit. Just bought a set of CF extenders from Vivid Racing and so far so good. They affix via two sided tape and the fitment around the stock paddles is very tight and consistent. The feeling of the CF is very good though the weave pattern is not an ideal match with Porsche's OEM. Cost was $300 for CF - I think 1/2 for metal extenders.
thank you.

any other paddle extensions available?

the metal one look a bit too big. and the CF as written do not match with OEM...

links:
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...151815271.html
https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...151846151.html

why ferrari (have to) make them bigger/better is that they are standing on their models - not turning with the steering wheel - i would prefer them standing. but anyhow - for hooning the gear lever in the middle is still handy...
Old 08-07-2017, 08:33 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mika911
Already had a moan about this on a separate thread, but deserves a mention under what's not right with this otherwise great car. I mainly track at Zandvoort in Holland and Spa and had some issues with rubbing but nothing too serious. However, taking the car to the Ring last week was a bit of a shock. I do have just over 2D camber, which may have affected it, but the front wheel liners and the upper part of the spoiler were completely worn through after about 8 laps. There isn't visibly much wear on the tyre, but it's very unpleasant to approach SX at over 160mph with what sounds like your wheels drilling through the chassis. I was advised by a local instructor to have the Manthey adjustments which includes bump stops, but speaking to a mechanic from another high level race team, he reckons that would impair the handling. Imv the car should simply not have this issue and that really bothers me.

Otherwise, the car was phenomenal. Especially the PDK let's you really get on with the driving, which takes that extra bit of concentration at the Ring. I raced there in the VLN until 2011 in a Z4M and wish that car had been as good in full race trim as the 991. Perhaps one other small observation is the relatively low top speed you achieve on the DH, where you really feel the effect of the down force.
Have you done the secret track setup modifications?
I don't remember who posted it a year ago but it solves the rubbing issues.

BTW it was before Porsche created that track setup document but Porsche gave me new fender liners at the end of my ED after I experienced the same as you in the Ring.

Quick Reply: what is not right with the GT3RS