Sponsored by:

what is not right with the GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 03:57 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Non functional carbon belongs on a blinged out Lambo or Ferrari, not a Porsche GT car meant for the track, IMO.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:59 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
+1

Did a week in my old 997.1 GT3 with the Carrera GT seats.

When getting back to the RS i realized how good the seats in the old car are.
I really must strap me in hard with the 6-pt for it to be OK.
I think that the Carrera GT seats are one of the best factory seats ever.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:40 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EST
I think that the Carrera GT seats are one of the best factory seats ever.
I couldn't agree more, the seat, the angle, the support, the look. Perfect.

Im pretty sure the Porsche GT business model is performance over looks and with a few exceptions, Lambos are the exact opposite. As others have stated, it's not too hard to spend a few bucks if you want to bling it out. Looking at the GT2RS pricing posts, I think Porsche is focusing in the right direction on the 3RS.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

I don't care about carbon fiber bits and pieces on the exterior but a car like the GT2 RS should really have a carbon monocoque. If not a full one, then at least a partial one like the R8/Huracan.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:56 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I don't care about carbon fiber bits and pieces on the exterior but a car like the GT2 RS should really have a carbon monocoque. If not a full one, then at least a partial one like the R8/Huracan.
I'm shocked Porsche hasn't built something on that chassis yet. Especially once Audi handed (was forced?) the LMP1 baton over to Porsche, I hoped they would take over that car as well.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:19 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by boccarp
I'm wrapping a the front lip in carbon to see how it looks. I ordered up all the other pieces in carbon from TechArt. If they get chipped up I can always get another from them. Sorry but the cheap plastic does not belong on this car. Photos coming!
Agree - I am a dry carbon fan it weighs less and costs less they could have easily gone dry vs plastic.

Looking forward to a Performante vs RS review. Was at the dealer today they have a few Performante slots left but I am hoping something with more hp comes along.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The RS shouldn't be blingy as standard. If you want to add those cosmetic options, that's your choice. The RS is a streetable track car. Remember that the reason it has a wing is to keep it planted, not to look good (although it absolutely does).

If anything, Porsche should bring back the 911T. Give it the Cayman gauge cluster, NO TOUCH SCREENS, no adaptive anything, vinyl interior (unless optioned to leather). Oh, and move the E-ebrake to somewhere more sensible. Only available in hardtop RWD and cab RWD. It would be a simplified new beginning for the 911. $80k

Not expensive because of extravagance, but because of quality. Like a 1970 911.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
They had to make seats to fit TrakCar!
LMAO

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
maybe should be a factory option?
I would not want CF vents, nor splitter/diffuser (had those on my ZR1) as it just gets chewed on on track
GT2RS will be CF vents standard or is that just Weissach package?
other than fender and hood, most CF int trim used in porsches are fake. real CF is something to behold faux cF meh. and even in real carbon there are many grades. the ones used in production cars are some of the lowest cf layups. and are NOT light.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:07 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by jmg3
a carbon front lip would be very expensive to replace after a few scrapes or cracks. The part is under $300, if it were carbon it would cost at least $350
Look up the cost of some of Porsche's carbon fiber trim parts which are all smaller than the size of a front lip. $350 might be closer to the sales tax on such a part.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:19 PM
cweed
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Great color choice and a very interesting garage......
Old 07-29-2017, 09:23 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 65 Posts

OP
Tons of hot bikes...

Cosmetic carbon bits and track dont go well together unless you dont mind paying all the time...

I did not mind the cheap plastic
Old 07-29-2017, 09:54 PM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aren't the fender gills $14k to replace?
and yes, more info on the bikes in the garage!
Old 07-30-2017, 06:19 AM
GT3RS Scotland
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Sketchy as hell rear end at limit and rws doing unnatural things to handling feel in certain low speed corners.
Spot on. Putting the engine in the right place might help. And making it a bit smaller and lower. Oh, that would be a Cayman.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:25 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Sketchy as hell rear end at limit and rws doing unnatural things to handling feel in certain low speed corners.
Agree on the 3RS, but the RWS has been much improved and recalibrated on the R and the .2GT3, so will assume next RS will be a lot better.

The times I drove the RS hard on track, It felt like RWS wasn't working quickly enough (at the limits) to keep up with what you wanted the car to do. Don't think it was as loose as it felt though, it just took a bit of getting used to, and will be a lot better next time I'm sure. I still like RWS, for what it does to turn in and agility.
(Don't really see it as a driver aid, it just makes the car work better).
Old 07-30-2017, 06:27 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree on the carbon - wouldn't want it on anything near the ground. Better to save some weight and cash, by not having a lift kit and replacing the plastic bits when you have to. If bits were carbon, weight saving would be negligible if any, and the cult of the front lift would be inescapable!

Quick Reply: what is not right with the GT3RS