McLaren Success - Page 202 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Old 01-10-2019, 11:22 PM
  #3016  
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
C.J. Ichiban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: earth, just like you guys
Posts: 8,755
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro
Right CJ.*It was*Ferrari that had 30% loss.
Poor guys
__________________
Dealer- McLaren Scottsdale, Porsche Fresno, Audi Fresno, BMW Fresno, McLaren Chicago
Owner-CJ Wilson Racing

UK: P1
USA: Raptor.2 (sold one, missed it, bought back)
GER: 993GT2, '19 GT3RS, Cayenne SE Hybrid, M5 stick, 991 GTS stick
JPN: NSX, R32, RX7
ITA: 458sp (sold), incoming Pasta Alfresco
Brazil: wife (keeper)

incoming: Ford GT, Senna, BP23, lots of tire bills, financial ruin

www.porschefresno.com
www.cjwilsonracing.com
www.bmwfresno.com
www.audifresno.com
C.J. Ichiban is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 AM
  #3017  
treynor
User
 
treynor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 74
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
I would find it hard to drive the car on the street without lowering the car. Not that i can afford one. But those wheel gaps are just too much imo.
That's with the lift active. At normal (non race) ride height it looks like this:


When you're late for that 8am meeting...
treynor is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 AM
  #3018  
928cs
Super User
 
928cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Mans, France
Posts: 2,163
Default

Nice reference. I'm not sure that many people get it


928cs is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:34 AM
  #3019  
RealityGT
Super User
 
RealityGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Four1Six
Posts: 2,811
Default

Originally Posted by treynor View Post
That's with the lift active. At normal (non race) ride height it looks like this:


When you're late for that 8am meeting...
You park


RealityGT is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:42 PM
  #3020  
Conekilr
User
 
Conekilr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 981
Default Sport Auto 720S hot lap at the Ring...

Conekilr is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:55 PM
  #3021  
ipse dixit
Super User
 
ipse dixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,169
Default

I can hear it now, “but that time was set on Corsas, wait until we see it on proper Trofro R rubber”
ipse dixit is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 PM
  #3022  
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
C.J. Ichiban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: earth, just like you guys
Posts: 8,755
Default

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I can hear it now, “but that time was set on Corsas, wait until we see it on proper Trofro R rubber”
Anything in that range is great for an independent test
__________________
Dealer- McLaren Scottsdale, Porsche Fresno, Audi Fresno, BMW Fresno, McLaren Chicago
Owner-CJ Wilson Racing

UK: P1
USA: Raptor.2 (sold one, missed it, bought back)
GER: 993GT2, '19 GT3RS, Cayenne SE Hybrid, M5 stick, 991 GTS stick
JPN: NSX, R32, RX7
ITA: 458sp (sold), incoming Pasta Alfresco
Brazil: wife (keeper)

incoming: Ford GT, Senna, BP23, lots of tire bills, financial ruin

www.porschefresno.com
www.cjwilsonracing.com
www.bmwfresno.com
www.audifresno.com
C.J. Ichiban is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 03:06 AM
  #3023  
Waxer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Waxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 3,602
Default

Usually agree with CJ but not his comment about McClaren being a step up from a GT3//GT3RS for numerous reasons less your stepping into a P1 or Senna. A lateral step yes but not up.
Waxer is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 AM
  #3024  
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
C.J. Ichiban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: earth, just like you guys
Posts: 8,755
Default

Originally Posted by Waxer
Usually agree with CJ but not his comment about McClaren being a step up from a GT3//GT3RS for numerous reasons less your stepping into a P1 or Senna. A lateral step yes but not up.
the 600LT is better than the GT3, better be for the price!
the 720 is faster than everything in most real life scenarios vs GT3RS...

now the issue is that the cost of mclarens is higher. Gt3 at 170 is 70-100k under mclaren stuff. McLarens are safer to crash at these speeds due to CF tubs. Porsche's have bigger tires and generally that's why they are faster on track driven by factory drivers. ride quality is not even close- 650/675/720 are well beyond any porsche road cars.

porsches are fantastic especially given the cost side of it- but then again a 16 Boxster Spyder is a better car than a 16 Gt3 using that metric.

it is a complicated formula and at the end of the day- there is a formula we all use differently to determine how we make the dumb decisions of spending 100k+ on a car.
__________________
Dealer- McLaren Scottsdale, Porsche Fresno, Audi Fresno, BMW Fresno, McLaren Chicago
Owner-CJ Wilson Racing

UK: P1
USA: Raptor.2 (sold one, missed it, bought back)
GER: 993GT2, '19 GT3RS, Cayenne SE Hybrid, M5 stick, 991 GTS stick
JPN: NSX, R32, RX7
ITA: 458sp (sold), incoming Pasta Alfresco
Brazil: wife (keeper)

incoming: Ford GT, Senna, BP23, lots of tire bills, financial ruin

www.porschefresno.com
www.cjwilsonracing.com
www.bmwfresno.com
www.audifresno.com
C.J. Ichiban is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 AM
  #3025  
odwa
User
 
odwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 302
Default

CJ, I have read many replies on multiple topics that you provide here on Rennlist and truly respect your candor, objectivity and honesty. Thank you!
odwa is online now  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:19 AM
  #3026  
Waxer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Waxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 3,602
Default

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban View Post
the 600LT is better than the GT3, better be for the price!
the 720 is faster than everything in most real life scenarios vs GT3RS...

now the issue is that the cost of mclarens is higher. Gt3 at 170 is 70-100k under mclaren stuff. McLarens are safer to crash at these speeds due to CF tubs. Porsche's have bigger tires and generally that's why they are faster on track driven by factory drivers. ride quality is not even close- 650/675/720 are well beyond any porsche road cars.

porsches are fantastic especially given the cost side of it- but then again a 16 Boxster Spyder is a better car than a 16 Gt3 using that metric.

it is a complicated formula and at the end of the day- there is a formula we all use differently to determine how we make the dumb decisions of spending 100k+ on a car.
CJ, thanks for the reply. Both cars have their + amd -'s. As you know I am smitten by the 600LT based on our PMs. Will likely buy one at some point, and would like it to be from you. Yes, we all have our matrix's to evaluate these cars and they differ from person to person. You are spot on. .
Based on my matrix I still see the cars as a lateral move, not a step up unless going from a GT3 or RS to a P1 or Senna.
See you bought your Raptor back. Good move! Love mine!!! Best truck and the only truck I am aware of that garners thumbs up from others.
Waxer is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:18 PM
  #3027  
Yippiekiaye
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Yippiekiaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 863
Default

So word is 600lt production is done. Rumors I’m hearing are that only 250 600 lt coupes coming to the us. 600spider production is started and coupes are done. No more. Maybe C.J. can clarify further.
Yippiekiaye is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:28 PM
  #3028  
treynor
User
 
treynor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 74
Default

Originally Posted by Waxer View Post
CJ, thanks for the reply. Both cars have their + amd -'s. As you know I am smitten by the 600LT based on our PMs. Will likely buy one at some point, and would like it to be from you. Yes, we all have our matrix's to evaluate these cars and they differ from person to person. You are spot on. .
Based on my matrix I still see the cars as a lateral move, not a step up unless going from a GT3 or RS to a P1 or Senna.
See you bought your Raptor back. Good move! Love mine!!! Best truck and the only truck I am aware of that garners thumbs up from others.
Two additional thoughts from another multi-brand owner:
1. CJ's analysis matches mine. The McLarens have markedly quicker acceleration than the equivalent Porsche; the Porsche have substantially more lateral grip than their McLaren counterpart. The McLaren ride quality is far more cushy on the street than the Porsche, and thanks to the carbon tub you can get both McLarens in convertible form without sacrificing, well, anything except your wallet. The Porsche is the car I'd take to a track day; the McLaren is the car I'd pick for a dragstrip visit or a road trip. Both are fun for a Saturday jaunt in the hills.
2. The Raptor seems to be a common element amongst enthusiasts of all brands. I have a blue '17.
treynor is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:40 PM
  #3029  
richk
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
richk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: los angeles and nyc
Posts: 2,185
Default

Originally Posted by odwa View Post
CJ, I have read many replies on multiple topics that you provide here on Rennlist and truly respect your candor, objectivity and honesty. Thank you!
Have to second that. While CJ is a dealer he's quite the competent driver. I had a couple of great laps @ Buttonwillow in his 675LT.

richk is online now  
Old 01-12-2019, 01:35 PM
  #3030  
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
GrantG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 9,234
Default

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye View Post
So word is 600lt production is done. Rumors I’m hearing are that only 250 600 lt coupes coming to the us. 600spider production is started and coupes are done. No more. Maybe C.J. can clarify further.
I heard they were going to build as many as possible (as ordered) for a year. Hasn’t been a year yet, has it?
GrantG is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLaren Success


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: