Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 09:32 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts
Default OT: AMG GT R

I had my name down for a 991.2 GTS. While prices will not be announced until January 9th, it's not too hard to calculate that a well spec'd one in Europe will be around 150,000 euro. A Turbo S is around 205,000 euro.

They have just announced the pricing of the AMG GT R and I must admit I am blown away. I fully expected it to be on par with the Turbo S. Instead a reasonably well spec'd GT R with track package is only 25,000 euro more than a GTS and an impressive 30,000 less than a Turbo S.

So I will likely cancel the GTS and go with the GT R. It looks to be unbelievable value. I expect many will do the same.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:43 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you been to MBWorld forum and read the disastrous launch and quality issues of the AMG GT-S? The "First Edition" AMG GT-S had all sorts of quality and reliability issues.

AMG is no longer the same AMG quality and build they used to have. AMG sold whatever dignity and soul they have by practically slapping the AMG badge on every imaginable model they produce at the production line.

Yes in paper the GT-R looks good, and yes in paper for now. Not everything that glitters is gold. Not because it is cheaper you buy it. My family have been a Mercedes Benz owner since the 1950s and personally have owned three AMGs and my current and last AMG on hand is the C63 Edition-507. "First Adopters" get into all sorts of issues for most brand but the current flagship of Mercedes Benz AMG which is the AMG GT lineup has been nothing but pure headache. A few may have slipped to the cracks as trouble free but a great number of them for the average cost of $150K is no fun when you have these kind of issues. In fact one owners there who owns the "Fastest" Mercedes Benz is a testimony how problematic his "First Edition" AMG GT-S has been for him. The owner owns most of the "Black Series" collection of AMG.What did he do? He dumped his AMG GTS like a rotten hot potato.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 11-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Have you been to MBWorld forum and read the disastrous launch and quality issues of the AMG GT-S? The "First Edition" AMG GT-S had all sorts of quality and reliability issues.

AMG is no longer the same AMG quality and build they used to have. AMG sold whatever dignity and soul they have by practically slapping the AMG badge on every imaginable model they produce at the production line.

Yes in paper the GT-R looks good, and yes in paper for now. Not everything that glitters is gold. Not because it is cheaper you buy it. My family have been a Mercedes Benz owner since the 1950s and personally have owned three AMGs and my current and last AMG on hand is the C63 Edition-507. "First Adopters" get into all sorts of issues for most brand but the current flagship of Mercedes Benz AMG which is the AMG GT lineup has been nothing but pure headache. A few may have slipped to the cracks as trouble free but a great number of them for the average cost of $150K is no fun when you have these kind of issues. In fact one owners there who owns the "Fastest" Mercedes Benz is a testimony how problematic his "First Edition" AMG GT-S has been for him. The owner owns most of the "Black Series" collection of AMG.What did he do? He dumped his AMG GTS like a rotten hot potato.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
If I look at my GT3, not sure Porsche is much better. Just had my engine rebuilt and last week it was back in the garage because of a leaking valve in the water cooling system dumping coolant on my garage floor. Plus a bunch of other things. In contrast, my GTS and Macan Turbo have largely been ok, except for a few small niggles.

The AMG GT R is a serious upgrade to the GT S. 4WS, active aero, bigger wheels and brakes, roll cage, etc. And while I have not driven one yet, I am prepared to take the punt.

I have another 991.2 GT3 coming so I have not lost faith, but it is seriously dented.

A friend of mine who is an instructor for Porsche Germany, got to drive all the 991.2 competitors back to back during a Porsche test day. F-Type, AMG GTS, Corvette, etc. Collectively, the instructors bagged all of them...except the AMG GTS which they said was very close. As an ex-racing and rally driver, I trust his judgement.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:25 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I wish you well Chris3963. In my humble opinion and you want to cross over to AMG, that is well and fine. AMG cars are fine cars. However I am getting the impression that you want a serious car. If so, I suggest you wait for the release of the AMG "Black Series." That my friend is a sure kick butt car if that is what you are looking for.

On the contrary, I really do not know what the AMG GT-R can do other than in paper it looks great. Please keep us posted how you like that AMG GT-R when you get it. I think I can get a copy from a very good friend of mine who is also a member here and AMG owner of his AMG GT-R DOG (Dealer's Ordering Guide).

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Chris3963
If I look at my GT3, not sure Porsche is much better. Just had my engine rebuilt and last week it was back in the garage because of a leaking valve in the water cooling system dumping coolant on my garage floor. Plus a bunch of other things. In contrast, my GTS and Macan Turbo have largely been ok, except for a few small niggles.

The AMG GT R is a serious upgrade to the GT S. 4WS, active aero, bigger wheels and brakes, roll cage, etc. And while I have not driven one yet, I am prepared to take the punt.

I have another 991.2 GT3 coming so I have not lost faith, but it is seriously dented.

A friend of mine who is an instructor for Porsche Germany, got to drive all the 991.2 competitors back to back during a Porsche test day. F-Type, AMG GTS, Corvette, etc. Collectively, the instructors bagged all of them...except the AMG GTS which they said was very close. As an ex-racing and rally driver, I trust his judgement.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:56 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

I have my order in and it was put in prior to the lock date. It should be one of the first US deliveries. I am not concerned about any issues. Mercedes has been good to me, and has always taken care of any issues. I have ordered the green hell magno.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastmd
I have my order in and it was put in prior to the lock date. It should be one of the first US deliveries. I am not concerned about any issues. Mercedes has been good to me, and has always taken care of any issues. I have ordered the green hell magno.
I am leaning towards black. I love the green but it is Matt paint which is a nightmare to look after.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:35 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I had my name down for a 991.2 GTS. While prices will not be announced until January 9th, it's not too hard to calculate that a well spec'd one in Europe will be around 150,000 euro. A Turbo S is around 205,000 euro.

They have just announced the pricing of the AMG GT R and I must admit I am blown away. I fully expected it to be on par with the Turbo S. Instead a reasonably well spec'd GT R with track package is only 25,000 euro more than a GTS and an impressive 30,000 less than a Turbo S.

So I will likely cancel the GTS and go with the GT R. It looks to be unbelievable value. I expect many will do the same.
Me too. Ignore the naysayers on here, sure the GT S had issues to start with but we're 3 years on and they will be ironed out just like McLaren did in moving the 12C to the 675 LT.

For what its worth, the Porsche GT cars I've owned from new have been fabulous to drive but a disaster in terms of reliability. My 991 GT3 was off the road 4 months waiting for a new engine and then my 991 RS had to receive a new PDK gearbox within 2 weeks of delivery. Its then had CEL problems. I've had various AMG's before and zero problems.

My real lived experience on reliability (not driving) is that Porsche GT cars suck versus AMG Just checkout the sorry tales on Macca's engine failure threads.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:09 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I ended up with a TT and so probably landed right in that equivalent price range. The tiny back seats were what made it the right choice for me this time.

I really like the styling of the AMG GT cars, and I bet the engine sounds glorious. Let us know what you think of it when you've had it for a little while!
Old 11-25-2016, 05:56 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 921 Likes on 532 Posts

i currently have 2 AMG cars
2015 GLA 45 6 k miles zero issues
2016 E63 7 k miles zero issues
and had c 63 2010 with zero issues
also my friend have AMG GTS 7 k miles with zero issues
also on the other hand I have/had 4 porsches including 991.1 GT3 with zero issues
just my experience
Old 11-25-2016, 09:21 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just traded my daily driver AMG GTS for a 991.2 Targa 4 S (today). I had close to 9,000 miles on it and the only reliability issue was a collapsing fuel line that Germany had to manufacture, so I drove a loaner for a month! No big deal. For a daily driver, the GTS' suspension (in comfort setting) was way too firm, much firmer than my GT3RS in Sport setting, made the drive on roads that had any bumps (lots in Dallas) awful. I never tracked it but spirited driving hints to a track monster though. I considered the AMG GTR but since there is no way I would replace the GT3RS on track with it, the thought of an even firmer daily driven AMG got quickly dismissed.
Don't know what your plan is with the car. If track and/or weekend, definitely better than the 991.2 GTS but if for a daily driver, it will be a very harsh ride. Congrats, the AMG GTS is as close as any competitor got to any ferocious 911 so the GTR will likely be a beast.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:28 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been excited for this car since it was announced, but getting sick of waiting. Will probably trade my Targa GTS for a 570S while waiting for some other new arrivals. Been waiting too long between cars and need to scratch that itch.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:55 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Just saw the mate green one at the LA car show, and, with the right mindset (no worries about not being stealth on the road) it looks amazing. It has a little of an exotic touch. AMG owner here, 31K miles and nothing besides regular maintenance ( more expensive than Porsche in general). But I agree with GT3RS Fan 1 - almost every MB car can be AMG'd, but maybe Black Series and GT R are exceptions.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:55 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I've had my 2016 amg GT s for 8 months, 8,500kms and its been perfecto ;-)
Old 11-25-2016, 10:35 PM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I know my opinion won't count for much, but I don't like the way the car looks. The front end looks good and aggressive, but the roundish rear just softens the overall look too much. By comparison I think the 911 lines look better.

Did they announce a black series of the GT in the works?
Old 11-25-2016, 11:27 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
What color is that targa gts? Manual?
Slate Gray and Manual - has a 370 miles on it, so pretty much still new. Just feel like trying something else.

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R