Sponsored by:

911R configuration thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:42 AM
shashi.reddy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
How low in weight we can go is a matter of time and, to an extent, money; although, in the case of the R, good enginnering is the defining factor and endless money cannot compensate for poor engineering.

I would suggest that we first set out to eliminate 50 to 60kg from the R, look we are and then the group can decide if we should go further. Two more things:

1. I think the goal should be the best driver's car we can create - and by that I mean something in which each of you would be happy to be for hours, either alone or with another, and smile without stop about the pure fun of it. In that regard, I would urge that we not create a Cup Car with a few comforts but, instead, a comfortable street car which handles at a level close to a Cup Car and without attracting the attention of a race car or a so-called hyper car. In other words, brilliant but understated.

2. I would be happy to turn the net profits from the kits over to two or three good causes among which could be: (i) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, which a Porsche enthusiast, Paul Newman, founded and (ii) TAPS (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors).
Im in!!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:58 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

People:

No matter how fortunate anyone is, we all end up the same, that is to say dead.

Several months ago, a friend retired from 41 years as a, relative to 918 owners, low payed government employee. And there came the President and other of our Nation's (that is, the U.S.) leaders, and there came leaders from other walks of life, and planes flew overhead in salute, and bands played and canon roared. But after three hours, 41 years was over but the best was this:

And at that the very end of this, as you see his grandchildren, you will see why GEN Dempsey is, though not in money, as rich as anyonre can be. He spent his life in service, he served well in many ways, but, perhaps most important of all, as teacher - the most valuable profession there is for the future. In short, with money or not, if we do that which we enjoy, do the best we can, for our families, for our co-workers and for those around us, we could not be richer.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:58 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

And yes, I will start a separate thread for 911 R weight reduction!

P.S. It should remain comfortable; it should look reasonably stock and it should be reversible.

Last edited by Robert Linton; 03-17-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:32 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
And yes, I wil start a separate thread for 911 R weight reduction!

P.S. It should remain comfortable; it should look reasonably stock and it should be reversible.
Exactly the above
Old 03-22-2016, 12:25 AM
carlom001
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding Single Mass Flywheel later...

I have an allocation but as we all know, the single mass flywheel will not be available until Sept production. He has a May manufacturing slot for me and is looking into replacing the double with single mass as a spare part later in the year at the same price as the Porsche option on the configurator. He thinks it may even be cheaper. Anyone see any problem with that?
Old 03-22-2016, 01:07 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by carlom001
I have an allocation but as we all know, the single mass flywheel will not be available until Sept production. He has a May manufacturing slot for me and is looking into replacing the double with single mass as a spare part later in the year at the same price as the Porsche option on the configurator. He thinks it may even be cheaper. Anyone see any problem with that?
Yes, ecu calibration is different between the single mass and the double mass. It is unclear at this moment whether Porsche will be willing to release that software to dealers after the fact for the single mass retrofit.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:01 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Yes, ecu calibration is different between the single mass and the double mass. It is unclear at this moment whether Porsche will be willing to release that software to dealers after the fact for the single mass retrofit.
i think they will.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:49 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
i think they will.
And clutch is different too
Old 03-22-2016, 04:37 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
And clutch is different too
Good catch. I totally forgot about the reinforced clutch on the single mass flywheel.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:16 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

It seems to me like waiting a few extra months for the single mass f lywheel is worth it. It seems to fit the spirit of the car, and In the long run it will probably be the best move.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:35 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
It seems to me like waiting a few extra months for the single mass f lywheel is worth it. It seems to fit the spirit of the car, and In the long run it will probably be the best move.
Yes.

Quick Reply: 911R configuration thread