Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by krisa9977
Just got my new engine installed! Came with everything including oil. It took about 40 days from the day I came to the dealer with broken engine. New engine has 2 years warranty.

Looks sweet! Enjoy breaking her in again.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:00 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Macca and others:

Had the "Reduced engine performance possible to drive on" warning while on the track Sunday. This followed approximately 200 track mile day on Saturday followed by one or two sessions in the morning. The warning went away with restart. Scan revealed a problem with cylinder 6, it said fuel injector. It was generic Snap On scanner, so may be something else.
I did three more sessions, short shifting at 8k and no issues until I got close to 9k when the warning would return. I drive 140 miles to home with no issues. This sounds very suspicious for the cam issue, agree?
My 3 is a 2014 with a E replacement engine. Replaced coil pack of cylinder 1 and all the plugs. I have 19,000 total/2550 track miles on this engine. I run in PDK S auto and usually let it shift at 9k.
Will take car in tomorrow and see.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Macca and others: Had the "Reduced engine performance possible to drive on" warning while on the track Sunday. This followed approximately 200 track mile day on Saturday followed by one or two sessions in the morning. The warning went away with restart. Scan revealed a problem with cylinder 6, it said fuel injector. It was generic Snap On scanner, so may be something else. I did three more sessions, short shifting at 8k and no issues until I got close to 9k when the warning would return. I drive 140 miles to home with no issues. This sounds very suspicious for the cam issue, agree? My 3 is a 2014 with a E replacement engine. Replaced coil pack of cylinder 1 and all the plugs. I have 19,000 total/2550 track miles on this engine. I run in PDK S auto and usually let it shift at 9k. Will take car in tomorrow and see.
That's it David. You have it but have caught it early like I did. I could have short shifted around the problem for a few track days (mine cut in 8300 rpm), but I use SportAuto on alot of tracks so why delay the inevitable.

19000/2500 miles makes yours a record for a well tracked car. The only one I've seen go further had more road miles but no track miles!

I believe you will have misfire cylinder 6 with lightly scored cam lobe/DLC rocker material missing. I know this is a PITA for you just prior to your RS arriving but best to get it sorted now with a new engine.

I have just completed 3000 road miles and 600 track miles (4 hard track days) on my new G engine. Runs like a champ, pulls hard to 9000 and uses very little oil (175ml per track day and 150ml total for 3000 road miles including some spirited driving). It was the quickest car on all but one of the tracks we ran. Really really enjoying the car even after 2.5 years! I have another 1000 road miles and 400 track miles to put on it in the next 14 days then I can report back my final conclusions....
Old 03-21-2016, 05:13 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Macca, really appreciate your efforts on this, as it matters to all of us. Question. I have a 2015 (F engine). Should I have any serious concerns about this engine? I have not tracked it, and I am not really hard on it. Do you think the data you have supports the notion that the F is solid, or should I just be tracking the car to get to the inevitable boom?

What would you do if you had an F engine right now?

Thanks for the help!

Rob
Old 03-21-2016, 07:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
My 3 is a 2014 with a E replacement engine. Replaced coil pack of cylinder 1 and all the plugs. I have 19,000 total/2550 track miles on this engine. I run in PDK S auto and usually let it shift at 9k.
Will take car in tomorrow and see.
Please keep us posted. I'm behind by 3000 total and 400-500 track miles, so based on this I should be expecting some "added excitement" soon.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
Macca, really appreciate your efforts on this, as it matters to all of us. Question. I have a 2015 (F engine). Should I have any serious concerns about this engine? I have not tracked it, and I am not really hard on it. Do you think the data you have supports the notion that the F is solid, or should I just be tracking the car to get to the inevitable boom? What would you do if you had an F engine right now? Thanks for the help! Rob
Rob. We are in this together.

I have 20 on the database all E Barr now three F engines. It's too early to tell. The F engines I've seen are failing on the rocker arms. I think they increased the DLC coating but the duress has perhaps transferred to the integrity of the cast alloy used for the finger rocket arms? Pure speculation on my part as I've got two failed rocker arms on the E engine too.

My opinion, and it's only an opinion, is that an F engine broken in reasonably and used on the road should last a long time. I wouldn't stress. I'm also of the belief that PAG will honour a solution to these engines long after warranty on a goodwill basis. I'd just continue to use and enjoy.

My car is largely used on track and if I were an E Engine owner I would be inclined to double up my track time till failure in order to acquire the new G engine sooner than later (should PAG policy change). My gut feel is we are talking a lubrication issue so any remedial head work fix will be somewhat temporary, without doing bottom end work to remove and upgrade the oil pump and galleries, PAG may elect dealer replacement of drive train components in the future but if addressing root cause they are almost forced to replace the engine with a crate engine as the labour on the required bottom end work and heatwave replacement via a dealers techs is not viable.

I'm without doubt that the future will bring further improvements to the engine design by way of billet finger rockers, software changes ect can learnt from campaigning 9A1 engines and this will filter into the next production GT engine which will share Lamar identical architecture to the now upgraded G MA175 unit, but even if this is a retro fit kit on needs to fit downstream after 50 plus track days on a G engine I don't think that's a big issue myself, I didn't expect the engine to run for ever in track with no top end work, I've owned s number of 911s in he last 18!years and they all wear on the track, that work is not too hard or expensive (cans and rocker fingers) and does not scare me. After all my track 993 no doubt has scored cam loves and worn rocker faces after many track miles, only difference is the computer can't tell it's happening....
Old 03-21-2016, 07:49 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

I have 20 on the database all E Barr now three F engines. It's too early to tell. The F engines I've seen are failing on the rocker arms. I think they increased the DLC coating but the duress has perhaps transferred to the integrity of the cast alloy used for the finger rocket arms? Pure speculation on my part as I've got two failed rocker arms on the E engine too.

My opinion, and it's only an opinion, is that an F engine broken in reasonably and used on the road should last a long time. I wouldn't stress. I'm also of the belief that PAG will honour a solution to these engines long after warranty on a goodwill basis. I'd just continue to use and enjoy.

My car is largely used on track and if I were an E Engine owner I would be inclined to double up my track time till failure in order to acquire the new G engine sooner than later (should PAG policy change). My gut feel is we are talking a lubrication issue so any remedial head work fix will be somewhat temporary, without doing bottom end work to remove and upgrade the oil pump and galleries, PAG may elect dealer replacement of drive train components in the future but if addressing root cause they are almost forced to replace the engine with a crate engine as the labour on the required bottom end work and heatwave replacement via a dealers techs is not viable.

I'm without doubt that the future will bring further improvements to the engine design by way of billet finger rockers, software changes ect can learnt from campaigning 9A1 engines and this will filter into the next production GT engine which will share Lamar identical architecture to the now upgraded G MA175 unit, but even if this is a retro fit kit on needs to fit downstream after 50 plus track days on a G engine I don't think that's a big issue myself, I didn't expect the engine to run for ever in track with no top end work, I've owned s number of 911s in he last 18!years and they all wear on the track, that work is not too hard or expensive (cans and rocker fingers) and does not scare me. After all my track 993 no doubt has scored cam loves and worn rocker faces after many track miles, only difference is the computer can't tell it's happening....
Very well said Macca! and thanks for the complete picture, this should put finally some cold water on hangry trolls
Old 03-21-2016, 08:28 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Macca, what if PAG reduced the engine rpm to 8500, would that help to a certain degree?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:35 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Thanks Macca! That really helped clarify things for me.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:44 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Thanks Macca! I'll report back once i hear, taking the car in tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:01 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Yes, I want to get this worked out, hopefully with the new engine. I have a 3 day event at COTA the end of April, so I don't have much time!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Macca your data appears to be missing the G MA176 failure I mentioned pages ago. Bent valves within 1,500 miles eh, all within its *first* track outing.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:11 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Amen. I wrote something along the same lines back in January. Maybe not knowing much about the issue but thinking in terms of "flawed" engine vs. engine wear, albeit premature in the E case. I would hope that at the end of the day this issue gets to be seen as engine wear and nothing else. Granted it wears faster than any of us would like but that is what the warranty is for.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12967509

Please see post #180

Last edited by Just in time; 03-21-2016 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Added link to original thread
Old 03-21-2016, 11:18 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I sincerely hope none of you need a new motor. Mine still hasn't left Germany and my car has been in the shop since the first week of February. I had a 15 911 turbo s before this and this really makes me not want to get another new porsche. I totally understand cars have issues/problems but get them resolved in a timely manner. There was a bulletin on the issue and there seems to be no urgency at all from PCNA or the dealership who keeps complaining that a lift has been tied up just as long....

Last edited by carz80am; 03-21-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronson7
Macca, what if PAG reduced the engine rpm to 8500, would that help to a certain degree?
Probably. But the 8500-9000 rev range is this cars signature and is what will differentiate it in years to come. They can't remove it now they have given it to us snd if they did they would have to buy slot of cars back including mine!

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?