Sponsored by:

GT3 RS allocations

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:24 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I heard 600 from dealer this morning. Dealer said, 918 owners cannot flip the RS for a profit; who knows, there can be a creative way to do so. Also the dealer said the RS engine will be a 4.0. Which thought made little sense, especially since the cup cars are 3.8.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:28 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

My dealer said they are most likely getting 5 of them. I am number 3 on the list. I believe the two above me are 918 owners, but can't confirm.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luvair
I heard 600 from dealer this morning. Dealer said, 918 owners cannot flip the RS for a profit; who knows, there can be a creative way to do so. Also the dealer said the RS engine will be a 4.0. Which thought made little sense, especially since the cup cars are 3.8.
For what's it's worth, during the factory tour, at the engine room, the dealership owner asked our tour guide where the RS engine will be produced here, the tour guide said "there is no GT3 RS, but if there is one, it will be made on the same production line as ever other engine here."
Old 11-20-2014, 06:44 PM
WazRS
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

They should produce a 918RS.. So the 918 owners can leave us have our own poor-men's RS's..
Then again, in Lebanon no 918 was ever sold, so i'm lucky no.2 on the list!

Wael

*crossing fingers...*
Old 11-20-2014, 06:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by luvair
It will be 4.0L. The Cup Cars use a totally different engine design (Mezger from previous generation).
Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

From what I've heard, Porsche is production constrained all across the line up. They simply don't have enough capacity to fill demand. So there's no need to push out more GT3 RSs to meet demand. It would just mean being even further from meeting demand somewhere else. My dealer used to be able to carry 150 cars in stock. Now days they can only get about 50 for dealer stock, and they are generally the cars that are not in high demand. The rest are all on order and sold before they even arrive.

I think the strategy makes sense from a business perspective, given the production constraint. Keep production of the halo cars relatively low for brand image and exclusivity. And crank out as many of the "regular" cars as you can.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
My dealer said they are most likely getting 5 of them. I am number 3 on the list. I believe the two above me are 918 owners, but can't confirm.
Unfortunately I don't think it will matter which number you are at your dealer. If it is true there are only 200 cars coming to the U.S. (which, btw, I wouldn't necessarily believe until Porsche says so in print), then the 918 owners will most likely buy all of them.

The 918 owners have a voracious car appetite. They snapped up all 100 of the "Exclusive" Panameras before the car was even announced to the public. I wouldn't be tremendously surprised if the same thing happened with the RS. That is, it wouldn't surprise me if Porsche said, "we are making a GT3RS, and it's already sold out."
Old 11-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
My dealer told me exactly the same thing before yesterday...
Old 11-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
From what I've heard, Porsche is production constrained all across the line up. They simply don't have enough capacity to fill demand. So there's no need to push out more GT3 RSs to meet demand. It would just mean being even further from meeting demand somewhere else. My dealer used to be able to carry 150 cars in stock. Now days they can only get about 50 for dealer stock, and they are generally the cars that are not in high demand. The rest are all on order and sold before they even arrive.

I think the strategy makes sense from a business perspective, given the production constraint. Keep production of the halo cars relatively low for brand image and exclusivity. And crank out as many of the "regular" cars as you can.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I was told 600 worldwide as well, but 600 for the US seems more likely given that the 918 owners have first call.
Here we go again but it was suggested to me that if the 918 buyers took cars they would be additional allocations? Maybe Maaca could chime in on this perhaps he has more accurate info.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Marketing 101, scarcity drives demand. It doesn't need to be actual scarcity- the perception will do. The first 890 918s sold at the rate of a couple a day. The last 30 sold in less than 24 hours, once there was scarcity. But there were cars to be had, just as there were 991 GT3s to be had... Even the GT3 RS 4.0s had trouble selling through near the end. A couple fewer cars than demand serves a purpose to drive scarcity and hence demand. A lot fewer leaves money on the table. If these end up as scarce as suggested it will mark a big change in strategy for Porsche.
Agreed 100%. Pure marketing. Same thing with the GT3. There is plenty of supply out there - 2 next to me and 4 next to my place in DC, ALL 15s and all available. All the hype is BS.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyrek
Here we go again but it was suggested to me that if the 918 buyers took cars they would be additional allocations? Maybe Maaca could chime in on this perhaps he has more accurate info.
I don't think that is the necessarily the case. I think it depends on whether the car in question is a limited production car, or a car with no production limit.

For cars that are not limited production models, it appears that Porsche does give the dealer an additional allocation. For example, I was able to order my GT3 over the top, even though my dealer didn't have any more GT3 allocations. But it didn't cost any of the existing GT3 customers their spot.

On the other hand, with the Panamera Exclusive, the 918 owners bought all of the cars Porsche plans to build. As a 918 owner I got an email that told me, very vaguely, what they were up to and asked if I wanted to talk to someone by phone about it. Before they even called me back, all 100 were spoken for. (Good thing I didn't actually want one. I was just trying to learn more about Porsche's process re the VIP program and limited production cars.)

In any event, in this particular case they clearly didn't open up the allocation to anyone besides 918 owners. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't do it differently with other cars... But I do think past behavior is often a good predictor of future behavior.

P.S. I haven't gotten any emails about the GT3RS yet.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyrek
GM told me that was true for the GT3 but not so for the RS. Hype or truth, don't know.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I could've sworn Porsche made more of the 997.2rs than the gt3 variant.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Gravity
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Before I say I am not interested I want to see the data. The GT3 is more street friendly so I bet the RS will also be a dual threat type of car. It will be hardcore; no doubt, but I bet you it will be more street compliant than previous generations. To me - it will all come down to the wing. If the wing looks like a bolt on(kit car) - no interest. But if the wing looks like an extension of the car with nice styling - than I have a very strong interest. I am not concerned on avail. because I know if I want one I can get one but I need to see the data(numbers) and the comments/opinions from the experts before release.
Was lucky enough to see pics of the new production Rs. And the wing is enormous. It's a very definite boy racer wing on stilts.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS allocations