Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need the chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:39 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Doesn't the car show digital time on the screen already? (My 6gt3 does.). The wart is useless both as a clock and as a stopwatch. I wouldn't get it even if it was free.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:41 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The app is interesting..
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...o-package/app/

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...hrono-package/
Old 10-08-2014, 06:49 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

That is totally worth getting.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Save the money, its an expensive bump. And if you track use the $28 Harry's Lap Timer or the best is TraQMate.

Cannot wait for mine 11/21 build.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

My concern was that it might have somehow enhanced performance - as it seems it might do in the regular Carrera. If it's just a lap timer, then I'll pass. I do like the look of the dash wart, but not at that price.

Vivian.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Looks better to me w/out it...cleaner, no frills...but then again I am fine with no leather too
Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That is totally worth getting.

Personally Im not a fan of the "wart". It looks odd IMO sitting in the middle of the dash. Without it is a much cleaner look IMO and gives a perfect space and access to use a suction mounted radar, iPhone holder or AIM/Vbox logger without the wart blocking the view or getting in the way....

Ive had a good look at the functionality. It has less functionality than SmartycamHD + AIM Solo DL with CAN BUS connection (23 channels of data). If you are a serious track rat the beauty of the AIM/SmartycaHD or similar set up is that you can do far more analyse using their proprietary software and you and your track mates can overlay files to compare drying technique.

A full installed AIM Solo DL wih CanBus, smarty Cam and mounts is the same price as the Porsche Track APp which only seems to work with iPhone.

The ultimate limitation of the Porsche track app unless you live in Europe or near one of the large US tracks is that it only has a database of 50 tracks world wide to enjoy the most benefits of the application. So or many of us it wouldnt allow full benefit. AIM and VBox have many hundreds of tracks loaded from every corner of the world....

The AIM solution is video in HD with an optomised field of view whereas I dont believe the iPhone 6 lens is anywhere near as good as that.

Each to their won but if it were my $1850 (plus something called option 683 "lap trigger preparation" I would buy the AIM Solo DL and SmartyCam solution and use it in the future with my other track cars getting many years of service for my outlay. AIM/Smartycam gear has a healthy resale market I doubt anyone will pay extra for the wart come sale time. I prefer the cleaner look on the dash too but that's purely a personal preference.

Just another 2c worth...
Old 10-08-2014, 08:01 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Macca, making sense, as usual.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Personally Im not a fan of the "wart". It looks odd IMO sitting in the middle of the dash. Without it is a much cleaner look IMO and gives a perfect space and access to use a suction mounted radar, iPhone holder or AIM/Vbox logger without the wart blocking the view or getting in the way....

Ive had a good look at the functionality. It has less functionality than SmartycamHD + AIM Solo DL with CAN BUS connection (23 channels of data). If you are a serious track rat the beauty of the AIM/SmartycaHD or similar set up is that you can do far more analyse using their proprietary software and you and your track mates can overlay files to compare drying technique.

A full installed AIM Solo DL wih CanBus, smarty Cam and mounts is the same price as the Porsche Track APp which only seems to work with iPhone.

The ultimate limitation of the Porsche track app unless you live in Europe or near one of the large US tracks is that it only has a database of 50 tracks world wide to enjoy the most benefits of the application. So or many of us it wouldnt allow full benefit. AIM and VBox have many hundreds of tracks loaded from every corner of the world....

The AIM solution is video in HD with an optomised field of view whereas I dont believe the iPhone 6 lens is anywhere near as good as that.

Each to their won but if it were my $1850 (plus something called option 683 "lap trigger preparation" I would buy the AIM Solo DL and SmartyCam solution and use it in the future with my other track cars getting many years of service for my outlay. AIM/Smartycam gear has a healthy resale market I doubt anyone will pay extra for the wart come sale time. I prefer the cleaner look on the dash too but that's purely a personal preference.

Just another 2c worth...
Very true. But if you're a data/video ***** like me.... you can't resist even though I already have an AiM setup. It could very well be a total waste, but the novelty of it draws me in.... I must find out what is inside that box...
Old 10-08-2014, 08:19 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Since Limerock my closest track 2.5 hrs away and my other Watkins Glen 3.5 hrs away are supported tracks on the app, it's worth it for me. Aim is always an option down the road if I feel it necessary. My order is locked anyway...no going back. The clock wart does not affect how I mount my Valentine 1 radar detector.

Ps: even has Monticello Motor Club if I get the urge to join @ $60k large. That club is only 2.5 hours away too.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:32 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe you will see the number of supported tracks grow quickly....
Old 10-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Fellas, just think of the opportunities the wart free space provides.
Perhaps you'll finally be able to mount the gorgeous bobbing hula girl?...or perhaps a stealthy place for those dice you've been keeping in the closet all these years.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I believe you will see the number of supported tracks grow quickly....
I hope you are right but I never have much faith in car manufacturer designed/supported apps/systems (Ill ad Navi in there too) being supported to the same degree in the future as companies whos sole existence hinges on their product being at the front of the market like AIM, VBox etc.

That being said my experience is from living in a country so small its generally not supported for much at all. I doubt any NZ tracks will ever be part of the app....
Old 10-08-2014, 08:57 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I hope you are right but I never have much faith in car manufacturer designed/supported apps/systems (Ill ad Navi in there too) being supported to the same degree in the future as companies whos sole existence hinges on their product being at the front of the market like AIM, VBox etc.

That being said my experience is from living in a country so small its generally not supported for much at all. I doubt any NZ tracks will ever be part of the app....
The app and associated software are being developed and updated by a outside company working with Porsche. You will see it continually improved until the platform has a major overhaul (new gen sport chromo pkg) and even then the 991 GT3 system should be supported for quite some time. There could be some nice improvements to come with app updates....wink wink.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:10 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii

The app and associated software are being developed and updated by a outside company working with Porsche. You will see it continually improved until the platform has a major overhaul (new gen sport chromo pkg) and even then the 991 GT3 system should be supported for quite some time. There could be some nice improvements to come with app updates....wink wink.
Sounds like insider knowledge... ;-)
What company is developing the app?

Quick Reply: Do I need the chrono?