Old 10-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Mc11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great

Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
^ This (certainly not 'most' but I'd say quite a few have made the change from a C2S to a GT3 with the new chassis), and hence why the new GTS will be a great seller for the crowd who were stuck in the 'Is the GT3 too harsh for DD?', 'Should I do it? I'm not quite sure' dilemma who were considering a GT3 for the first time with the offering of the PDK-S.

With the introduction of the PDK gearbox on the GT3, the line has become a lot more transparent between the 'hardcore GT3' crowd and the people who only want the badge on the rear.

Also the limited production of the GT3 will make this new crowd buy the GTS without hesitation.
For a car to be driven on the road at reasonable speeds, I wouldn't be surprised if the GTS is more fun and engaging than the GT3, and may be the better the choice, even though I still think the GT3 is a better value. For the track, no doubt in my mind that the GT3 is the better choice, if manual isn't a requirement.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:22 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
So what are the 'traditional' 997.2 buyers going to buy now?

Btw, I don't think this is true. The ratio of track rat to cars and coffee is the same with 997 and 991. The 997 guys just want you to think they are more 'hardcore'
Joe, you were very knowledgeable guy, especially when it comes to these cars on the track. I would never question your judgment in that setting. It also sounds like you'd be someone good to call if I break something :-)

However, on this point, do you really not see the increased crossover from more mainstream buyers? The automatic transmission on the GT3 has opened up the car to lots of buyers wouldn't have purchased previously. They have reported as such on this and other sites. Go read the 20 different threads on options and you will see that many of them are not coming from GT3s they're coming from other cars.
By the way, I'm not suggesting that this is a good or bad thing. But I'm willing to bet that if I looked at the data I would see a lot more buyers for this new model who never have driven an air cooled car or owned other enthusiast manual transmission vehicles. Not better or worse. Just different. And I think very likely the entire Porsche strategy for this model, appealing to a broader audience.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:22 AM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Guys,

As a member of sooooo many car enthusiast forums, these incessant cat fights are omnipresent. Why all this unnecessary vitriol lashed out at any and everyone who has a different opinion of sorts.

It does make for entertaining reading.

At the end of the day, I welcome the GTS. It is the next best thing (normally aspirated, of course) to the GT3. Had I not secured an allocation for a '15 GT3, I would have ordered a GTS with a ducktail. What's not to like?

Additional GTS Porsche sales equates to additional funding for Porsche to invest in other fabulous Porsche products.

We all win here...

Cheers/BB
Old 10-08-2014, 09:31 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Joe, you were very knowledgeable guy, especially when it comes to these cars on the track. I would never question your judgment in that setting. It also sounds like you'd be someone good to call if I break something :-) However, on this point, do you really not see the increased crossover from more mainstream buyers? The automatic transmission on the GT3 has opened up the car to lots of buyers wouldn't have purchased previously. They have reported as such on this and other sites. Go read the 20 different threads on options and you will see that many of them are not coming from GT3s they're coming from other cars. By the way, I'm not suggesting that this is a good or bad thing. But I'm willing to bet that if I looked at the data I would see a lot more buyers for this new model who never have driven an air cooled car or owned other enthusiast manual transmission vehicles. Not better or worse. Just different. And I think very likely the entire Porsche strategy for this model, appealing to a broader audience.

Best post of this entire thread!

And I don't want to get in any sort of debate about value. Personally,I wouldn't even consider a GTS if the GT3 came with a manual. Yes,I own the previous generation GTS and it's fun car but it's no GT3. And the previous gen GT3 prices are insane at the moment,I'm not going to spend almost the same money they were brand new 5 years later no matter how badly I want one.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
And the previous gen GT3 prices are insane at the moment,I'm not going to spend almost the same money they were brand new 5 years later no matter how badly I want one.
Another reason why I went with 991 GT3 instead of 997.2 RS. If the RS was say $30K or $40K less than current prices, I probably would have gone for it instead of the 991 GT3.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:13 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

as long as its a 911, you win. i find the GTS no more/less stunning than the rest...actually i will concede that my jaw dropped after seeing a gt3 in the flesh at speed.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:31 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
Another reason why I went with 991 GT3 instead of 997.2 RS. If the RS was say $30K or $40K less than current prices, I probably would have gone for it instead of the 991 GT3.
Yes. I struggled with this too. Figure 150 to 160 for a really good example. The same or more than a loaded new 991 GT3
Old 10-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Br58son
6th Gear

The GT3 looks like a bargain next to the MSRP of this car!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Yes. I struggled with this too. Figure 150 to 160 for a really good example. The same or more than a loaded new 991 GT3
And the 991 will eat its lunch too.

I had a chance to get a 7.2 RS in mint condition, less than 3K miles on it, a couple years ago for something like $110K. I decided to pass on it because I didn't quite feel ready for it at the time. A couple months later, I felt ready, but of course the car was gone by then.

Actually, deserves one more

With the 991 GT3, I did my homework best I could, and decided to grab it while still available at a good price, rather than having to regret another missed opportunity.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:56 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

Same here!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

The prices of the 997.2 RS don't make sense to me. If much rather have a brand new 991 GT3 specced to order for less money.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:13 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jon70
The prices of the 997.2 RS don't make sense to me. If much rather have a brand new 991 GT3 specced to order for less money.
Last stick shift Mezger GT cars. Will be the Longnose hot rods of the next generation.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
that's why i sold my entire 997.2 RS holding
well kept the unicorn, that's it.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:24 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The 991 GT3 isn't even a GT3 in any way other than the chassis, a couple suspension components, and name. The 991 GT3 would be more honestly referred to as the 991 GTS-R.

Funny!!!!!!!! Have you driven one? Have you tracked with one yet? There are many here that have and would likely disagree with you. I am assuming you make this comment based on the fact there is NO manual gearbox?? I guess the Formula one boys are driving grand touring automatics too, and Nascar has it right............ The prior gen GT3 was not a race car either boys. It had a dual mass flywheel and different suspension components so the average Joe wouldn't stall it out in traffic and complain too much of it's harsh ride. The GT3RS on the other hand, was definitely a more track purposed 911 (notice I didn't say RaceCar), and much closer in relationship to the Cup Car, which is the race car version of the 911 that uses the same chassis. Of course the 991 GT3 is not a Race Car.....it was built for the road, built to last 100,000 miles, built to be respected on the track (and by most accounts it definitely is), and was built in limited numbers.

Quick Reply: GTS