Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bloody brilliant photo. That's exactly what a 991 GT3 should look like IMO. Never clean it! I'm going to make it my my screen saver!

P.S. Are you having any chipping issues with the black wheels (should think they are better than the grey in this regard as they are gloss not matt)?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Bloody brilliant photo. That's exactly what a 991 GT3 should look like IMO. Never clean it! I'm going to make it my my screen saver! P.S. Are you having any chipping issues with the black wheels (should think they are better than the grey in this regard as they are gloss not matt)?
I agree - looks good dirty! No wheel chips yet (and I've been watching since I read your post about that). I've been on pretty clean roads (and tracks) so far though. I did take a rock to the windshield on-track yesterday. Hope it can be repaired rather than replaced...
Old 08-13-2014, 02:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Helps when people use a proper camera with a decent lens to take pictures. The general quality of photos is deteriorating these days with the iPhone generation....

The gloss black looked to me to be much more durable than the flat grey from a stone chip perspective. I still like the stock grey best but they end up looking Matt black after a day at the track anyway ha ha!

You will find the front mesh grills get chips and show alloy underneath. Looks like they are powder coated grey. They should have anodised them (business idea for someone). When you was her you will see what I mean. I try not to look to close anymore, its good getting older as your close vision deteriorates so everything looks better at 10 feet! Or dont wash the car yourself and you dont notice these things :-)
Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Yesterday’s trackday was awesome. Car was rock-solid in high heat (34C and very humid). The car is a total riot on the track. It changes direction so quickly with such confidence. The agility and fun factor is off the charts. Keeping it screaming in that upper rev range around the track is glorious. The GT3 bested my previous record lap time at this track (in a highly modded 997 Turbo on Hoosiers) by 1.8 seconds/lap. The GT3 was 5.3 seconds faster than my Turbo’s best lap on MPSC. No question it’ll be even faster next time I’m there.

Sam – I’m with you on tire pressures. I started high yesterday to test a full range – 34/36 F/R (hot), which was not good. Took out 2 psi per session and stopped at 28-29 F / 30-31 R and then I could really lean on the car in long sweepers and the car was more predictable. And faster. This track has one extremely tight hairpin which I thought RWS might conquer but I was little disappointed it didn’t do much to help. This is really just nitpicking – hard to find faults with this car. Tire wear looks pretty good. I did 250km on-track yesterday (high speed, very abrasive surface – extremely hard on tires) and long sessions, in high heat. The Front Left took a beating but the other 3 tires look really good. I’m having the fronts swapped right now and I’ll likely get another 2 days + street miles out of them. Just a guess at this point but at the 3 main tracks I run (2 of which are very hard on tires) I think I’ll get 4 hard/fast days out of the fronts (if they are swapped after 2) and 5+ out of the rears.

The seating situation is much better than a 997 with Sport seats. The seatbacks themselves are a bit deeper, the upper bolsters more supportive, and the center console and left door are higher & tighter to the driver (and more padded). It held me in place pretty well and my legs aren’t bruised like they used to be when I tracked with an *** seat. Race bucket/ROW Sport Bucket still better but the stock seats are better than expected.

My shop had a good look at my car today and they want to leave the setup as-is for another track day or 2. They are softening the front sway, I’ll do another couple of track days in the next 10 days and we’ll likely go for more camber at that point. Macca – I’ll ask for the geo specs this week.

Anyway, I’m absolutely loving this car. A blast ripping around town and obviously even better on the track. I did about 3 hours on fast country roads on Saturday which was outstanding. I’ll be on similar roads this weekend and will be doing 3 trackdays in the next 2 weeks so will report back!
Awesome!! The thing is faaaaast. Consider tightening the rear sway bar as well, it'll help in the hairpins too.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Awesome!! The thing is faaaaast. Consider tightening the rear sway bar as well, it'll help in the hairpins too.
Will-do - thanks.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:46 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Great Photos! I haven't had the time to take any yet but soon. I just can't get over how great the White looks in real life just fantastic. So no clear bra for you?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:10 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by race7117
Great Photos! I haven't had the time to take any yet but soon. I just can't get over how great the White looks in real life just fantastic. So no clear bra for you?
I have an appointment to have some XPEL installed next week. Just hood, lights, wheel wells, I think.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

This is an exploratory lap last Friday night @ TMP – a small local track. Really just messing around, pushing the car in the corners to find its limits. Car is quite catchable when you cross that line.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:08 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

That machine is so fast down the straights it looks as if it's warping space!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:12 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by armbar
Ha – I know – unintended special effects. Just a very old GoPro on its last legs.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by armbar
GT3 hallucinogenic effect!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:23 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Mark, no helmet requirement there?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:30 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
Mark, no helmet requirement there?
Helmets optional @ TMP. The track is completely flat with smooth grass runoff for days on both sides of the track so I usually go lid-free there.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great driving. Good catch on at least one of those "moments" but chassis seems to be communicating easily and steps into line quickly backing off the throttle with a touch of opposite lock. You clearly know the track well. If there is anyone on here who can build a comparative picture of this cars handling on track I believe it is you with our years of ownership and vast experience hurling your modded 997TT around the track as it appears to me you are already very comfortable with the 991 GT3 on the track. Look forward to more commentary and further feedback....great driving and GREAT car!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:00 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
This is an exploratory lap last Friday night @ TMP – a small local track. Really just messing around, pushing the car in the corners to find its limits. Car is quite catchable when you cross that line.
So flippin awesome. Great driving indeed. Got the no helmet but where the windows up as well?

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.