Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 11:29 PM
vtxdrew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
Sorry. I am a complete idiot.

I got to the track and when I went to swap out my pads and wheels, I realized I brought the wrong box

I reversed the existing pads and let my wife run her run groups and I ran just a couple. Unfortunately, no updates on Hoosiers. Had fun couple of laps that I got to run, but had to keep it modest having no brakes and worn tires.

I have Mid Ohio w/ BMW club at the end of this month. I've got new Carbotech pads that just arrived today, so I'll have those to report on as well.

Watkins Glen NNJR August 2014 - YouTube
Awesome video! WGI is my home track and I cannot wait to get back out on it with the new wheels...arriving this week!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:21 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBrake911
Also any advice or thread on first car track day would help a lot.. thx a lot. -- Looks like Sam is getting FAST. congrats.. OMG.. Car might even be cheaper as I go thru $400 set of tires/ day on bike..
No way will the GT3 be cheaper than the bike. I never had tires last much more than three full track days 12- 18 sessions so depending on tires you choose, plus oil changes, brakes, fuel, insurance etc,- figure at least $1000 per day and you are getting close. Of course this is with my old 997.2 GT3, maybe the new 991 is some sort of economy track car!

As far as other advice, if you track a lot get a trailer. It's nice to get home if something bad happens. Make a check list of things to bring to the track- like sun screen, club ID, extra parts and tools etc. Bring or buy a set of track wheels and tires- car duster for when that off happens, the right tools for your centerlocks to remove the wheels, especially a torque wrench so you can check them at the track, and CL grease. Make sure to check them before your first track session and before your second session just to be safe. Again more track days and eventually you will want to upgrade your safety gear, cage, harness and HANS. I could go on, but just search around here and lots of similar advice given. Good luck, take some good video!j
Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Got my Shark Werks bypass installed today. With high revs it is madness. In addition to being a lot louder you get some completely new sounds – popping, rumbling and very sharp/crisp bursts on downshifts that aren’t there with the stock exhaust. A LOT more character is exposed with the bypass. If you don’t mind more volume (like me) then you will LOVE this upgrade. And you can still tone it down if you keep the sport exhaust button functional (and/or keep the revs low). Money very well spent, glad I did it immediately.

Also did my geo today. My car’s factory settings were all over the place. My shop wanted to keep it conservative to start so we just did -2.6 front, -2.2 rear, zero toe and middle setting on the sways. I’m doing 2-3 track days between now & Monday so we’ll look at tire wear and how the car feels and make necessary adjustments next week.

The car is just killer though. I need to get to a track or I’m going to lose my license. Will report back in a day or 2…

Some pics of my first mods and a gratuitous shot of another great car in for some work (that actually gets used as intended):
Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2014, 02:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Love the second photo!

Good work with the Geo and Sharkwerks.

How did they get the negative camber beyond the factory specs. Spacers?

Can you post your Geo sheet please?
Old 08-08-2014, 02:48 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

Looking forward to what best laptimes are with NorCal tracks once car is broken in. Mike
Old 08-08-2014, 10:18 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Love the second photo!

Good work with the Geo and Sharkwerks.

How did they get the negative camber beyond the factory specs. Spacers?

Can you post your Geo sheet please?
Sorry, I meant to get a photo of their computer screen but I was in a rush and forgot. I’ll get more detail when we fine tune on my next visit.

I think they used shims to achieve those numbers. I will also get more info on that next time.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

No dramas ask the to print a copy and scan and email it to you. It would be good for your records. I do this and make notes on each one before changing geo so I can always reverse some settings later knowing how I felt about the car at that time.
I'd be ver keen to see others settings. I've posted mine here but no one else seems to have there's only what they were told. The shims may change caster so interested how the final settings look with the negative camber you have...
Old 08-09-2014, 02:50 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

No dramas ask the to print a copy and scan and email it to you. It would be good for your records. I do this and make notes on each one before changing geo so I can always reverse some settings later knowing how I felt about the car at that time.
I'd be ver keen to see others settings. I've posted mine here but no one else seems to have there's only what they were told. The shims may change caster so interested how the final settings look with the negative camber you have...
Good call, I’ll get it next week. By the looks of my front wheels, there has been some castor adjustment (and lowering).

I did my first track event tonight. Car was incredible. On a track most of you have never heard of (for good reason) but the best local place to shake down a car & test its limits. Flat, technical, and only 1 wall to (not) hit. The outcome: I beat my best ever lap time at this track (previously in a Stage 2 FVD 997 Turbo on Hoosiers, with much more aggressive geo, bucket/harness, suspension, race gas, etc.). And I was short-shifting tonight since I don’t have many miles on the car and I was really just testing the limits more than trying to set records. Far more impressive than ultimate pace was how fun the car was. So nimble and maneuverable. Next up is a faster (though still flat) track on Monday (Shannonville). Should be ready for repetitive 9k shifts by then.
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2014, 04:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thats great news mate. My experience with orientation wass much the same - beat my record on teh track by quite a margin without really trying (my other car is a 292bhp 993) but also pretty much slashed the times of everything in our group with only a lightweight race car and a prior generation 997.2 GT3 quicker - but as I say first time out one session only dead cold tyres on street pressures and 80lb or so of gear in the the trunk - so without doubt next time out she will be the quickest car in teh gorup by at least 3 tenths I should think. The amount of control and the overall fun I was having blew me away - I expected it to be fast but not as well controlled or as much fun...and there smore to be had turning ESC off and going manual and once familiar with the tyres and chassis getting it to the limits/optimising the slip angles and tyre contact patches to try and eek out a few tenths here and there on familiar corners etc. Im sure you had a similar experience..

Yes would be great if folk could start posting their Geo sheets with feedback on what they are feeling. I think to date Im the only one who has done this - but its abit difficult to learn a cars set up if we are sharing precise information and Ive been told by the techs that care has to be taken when setting up the GT3 rear suspension (RWS) etc Getting a printed alignment sheet post Geo is absolutely mandatory for the racers over here to file against their notes with mark ups on what they are feeling different since the last time they had the car out so a good habit to get into.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:41 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes would be great if folk could start posting their Geo sheets with feedback on what they are feeling. I think to date Im the only one who has done this - but its abit difficult to learn a cars set up if we are sharing precise information and Ive been told by the techs that care has to be taken when setting up the GT3 rear suspension (RWS) etc Getting a printed alignment sheet post Geo is absolutely mandatory for the racers over here to file against their notes with mark ups on what they are feeling different since the last time they had the car out so a good habit to get into.
Here's my latest, Macca. I recently experimented with putting the rear sway bar to mid position (leaving front least firm) but had more issues with understeer and less rotational ability. While with the rear sway bar on the firmest setting the car is a little twitchy entering corners, it rotates much better and decreases understeer, so I am back to front least firm and rear firmest. We also added minute amount of toe out, decreased front negative camber a hair and added a small amount of negative camber to the rears. Once gotten used to this, I feel the car is at its best balance. Lap times were 1/10th of a second longer than my prior settings BUT they were consistent while the previous settings, if I eliminate the single best time, I am actually a tenth faster. Yeah, meaningless perhaps but I like it
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2014, 07:53 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Some pics of my first mods and a gratuitous shot of another great car in for some work (that actually gets used as intended):
Gorgeous pic of both cars!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:59 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

BTW, I mainly ran with ESC off (TC still on). It lets you rotate the car and get pretty sideways without noticeable interventions. Will try everything off on Monday.

Also, my set-up definitely needs more fine tuning. While the car was very well balanced, it was understeering in a couple of tight/fast spots on track. Tire wear looked pretty good though. I find it’s just that 2nd narrow row of tread that takes a beating with the front Cup 2’s.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

BTW, I mainly ran with ESC off (TC still on). It lets you rotate the car and get pretty sideways without noticeable interventions. Will try everything off on Monday.

Also, my set-up definitely needs more fine tuning. While the car was very well balanced, it was understeering in a couple of tight/fast spots on track. Tire wear looked pretty good though. I find it’s just that 2nd narrow row of tread that takes a beating with the front Cup 2’s.
Yup, same pattern of tire wear here, even with close to -3 camber in the front and yes, my car understeers at the limit too, which I think is part of the design.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

PM'd you
Old 08-09-2014, 11:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

Good call, I’ll get it next week. By the looks of my front wheels, there has been some castor adjustment (and lowering).

I did my first track event tonight. Car was incredible. On a track most of you have never heard of (for good reason) but the best local place to shake down a car & test its limits. Flat, technical, and only 1 wall to (not) hit. The outcome: I beat my best ever lap time at this track (previously in a Stage 2 FVD 997 Turbo on Hoosiers, with much more aggressive geo, bucket/harness, suspension, race gas, etc.). And I was short-shifting tonight since I don’t have many miles on the car and I was really just testing the limits more than trying to set records. Far more impressive than ultimate pace was how fun the car was. So nimble and maneuverable. Next up is a faster (though still flat) track on Monday (Shannonville). Should be ready for repetitive 9k shifts by then.
What track and what laptimes u were doing for present and previous car? Mike

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.