Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
OK guys , I was told P will make the announcement this coming Wednesday
my order as of couple hours ago today ; v200 today 3/9, V260 4/18, V300 4/25
planned dates and expected date show to be the same
I hope this calms the sea of chatter
R. Deacon, excellent try, but nothing will calm this sea of chatter until all the cars are back in the hands of owners and even then....

BTW, who was the source of your announcement info? Do you think they are basing their prediction on something other than the e-mail we all received? Hope so....

Good luck with your dates.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:21 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Mike,
thanks, those build dates are what the system reported this afternoon
I believe his info is from corporate, he is a multi decade P man, he has a no BS rep
Old 03-09-2014, 07:25 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Coincidentally, isn't Wednesday about 30 days / a month since the stop sale?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:29 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Coincidentally, isn't Wednesday about 30 days / a month since the stop sale?
yea MJones started this thread the day the stop sale announced 2/11
Old 03-09-2014, 07:52 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Certainly is plausible but the two GT's 3 that burned had very low miles on them. One had less than 60 miles. Doubt he did an oil change.
That's correct - but I assume those engines had recently been filled with oil following engine build. If the technician was in a hurry, he could have poured too fast, and excess oil could have overflowed at the funnel neck and puddled onto the engine and exhaust system. Sometimes the most complex problems have very simple solutions and the most obvious is often missed. We know the engine fires are oil fires, not gas, or the car would have burned up much faster - and it wouldn't take much oil to set the surrounding fiberglass and plastic parts burning.
Of course, if we hear the Engine has self destructed internally while running,
that theory goes out the window. I'm hoping that was not the case. Guess we'll know more this week.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:57 PM
0Q991
Drifting

^^Great point. Agreed--oftentimes, the simplest answer is correct.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lets come up with some scenario as to what they will say next week: You can change the date and time if you like and then we will see who came close to Porsche after the announcement

Silverrules scenario:

Wed March 12, 3:38 PM

Dear Mr. Silverrulles
Since our last communication to you, our German engineers worked tirelessly around the clock and have concluded their findings and we are excited to inform you that except very limited number of cars that had defective engines and were returned to factory for repair all other GT'3 including yours are being released to their respective owners with positive outcome. Your vehicle was not impacted by this recall. The effected vehicles are being fixed as we write and it is Porsche highest priority to get these vehicles fixed and returned to their respective customer. Your dealer will call you to share the delivery schedule of your vehicle. Please expect a phone call from them within the next two days.

Thank you for your continued patience as we ensure that you can enjoy the high standards of performance and safety to which your GT3 was designed and engineered. We take your loyalty to Porsche very seriously and we appreciate it.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
That's correct - but I assume those engines had recently been filled with oil following engine build. If the technician was in a hurry, he could have poured too fast, and excess oil could have overflowed at the funnel neck and puddled onto the engine and exhaust system. Sometimes the most complex problems have very simple solutions and the most obvious is often missed. We know the engine fires are oil fires, not gas, or the car would have burned up much faster - and it wouldn't take much oil to set the surrounding fiberglass and plastic parts burning.
that theory goes out the window. I'm hoping that was not the case. Guess we'll know more this week.
If I recall correctly, there were a couple of folks who got erratic oil level readings that first showed needing oil and then showed being overfilled. Wonder if a faulty reading by the oil level sensor might lead to an inadvertent overfill/overflow at a PDI?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 PM
0Q991
Drifting

^^Yep. Several folks on RL alone mentioned issues with the oil level reading. Can only imagine that the world outside of RL also included such issues.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

I brought this oil fill issue up with my visit today and it wasn't denied nor confirmed to be the cause ;
"we haven't been told much" was what was shared
We will all be informed come Wednesday
Old 03-09-2014, 08:28 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Hypothetically, if this occurs, how would they clear the excess oil?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Mike,
thanks, those build dates are what the system reported this afternoon
I believe his info is from corporate, he is a multi decade P man, he has a no BS rep
Great, thanks!

On the oil mis-fill theory; it doesn't explain the holed crankcases, unless that part of the story was a fabrication....
Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, if I get my car Wednesday, I can go to the track Thursday. I'm going to make sure the GoPro and AIM are fully charged tonight. I am prepping myself for a 25% possibility.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:14 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Fluids aren't filled by from bottles by technicians, human error unlikely... Workers attached filling hoses for fluids and it's pumped via machine at predetermined flow rates and volumes... Highly unlikely this could be a plausible explanation

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?