Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Ive been told today all GT3 engines will be replaced. Apparently my car is also affected. I dont have any other details other than that the source was reliable.
Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I was hoping that my car would not be affected at all, but if it is I honestly would rather have a complete new motor from the factory than have someone rebuild the existing one locally. Sort of like getting Gen II without having to wait 2-3 years for it. Downside will be that this will almost certainly not be a quick fix time-wise, although I think this guarantees that there will be significant financial compensation. C'est la vie.....
Old 03-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not surprised - I suspect that a good portion of the wait thus far has been Porsche assembling the required amount of replacement engines, but again, that is just my speculation.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:17 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anyone venture a guess as to timing? Are we talking 2-3 months?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If that true, then I'm done. I'll move to the Turbo for now and reorder a GT3. I don't want a car with a replacement motor. It'll never be the same after major surgery. And, it will wear a scarlet letter forever. The dealer can deal with it.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike I agree with you. This is one time I hope those that have questioned my line of information/accuracy are correct!

As soon as I was told the bad news and that it affects me I went straight into compensation mode asking what would be done for me! If the car is to have a new engine drop shipped downunder it will almost certainly be a matter of 2-3 months and quite frankly from Monday onwards that car costs me money in opportunity cost (missing taking it on our annual 2 week track tour starting Monday), hassle, insurance, return on equity, potential depreciation, embarrassment, inconvenience (it was to be DD transport to some degree) etc etc.

If my information is correct then the next question on everyones mind will be what are Porsche going to do for those already paid up/delivered on this car to make things right. On this subject I suspect we should start a separate thread and keep tight...
Old 03-10-2014, 05:24 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch! look on the bright side Macca - 2000 free miles!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:27 PM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I was hoping that my car would not be affected at all, but if it is I honestly would rather have a complete new motor from the factory than have someone rebuild the existing one locally. Sort of like getting Gen II without having to wait 2-3 years for it. Downside will be that this will almost certainly not be a quick fix time-wise, although I think this guarantees that there will be significant financial compensation. C'est la vie.....
Gen II motors? Is that like an RS motor? If we are speculating, let's speculate up....

This stinks. Might have to get a M12 to hold me over...
Old 03-10-2014, 05:32 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Looks like I'll take the over for 1850 posts on this thread by Friday now...

F.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Replacing every motor doesn't make any sense. It they are certain they have identified the problem enough to build new engines, then why wouldn't they just replace the offending part on every motor already built, rather than replacing every motor. If they can't be certain which motors have a bad part, replace that part on every motor out there.

No disrespect to Macca, but I've learned to take info here with a grain of salt. All the secrecy thus far, and one individual gets told this? I'm not sure I buy it.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I hope they'll sell the " old " engines at a discount. I'm gonna buy one and disassemble it in my backyard,let you guys know what I find...
Maybe I'll use it in my lawnmower...can you imagine revving the lawnmower to 9K!!!
I'll take one to put in the Cayman.

Then I won't need a GT3 for anything!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:38 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Ive been told today all GT3 engines will be replaced. Apparently my car is also affected. I dont have any other details other than that the source was reliable.
On the bright side ... it's good news in that they understand the issue and that they have engineered a solution for that issue.

That's very positive news, I think.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by az audi
Gen II motors? Is that like an RS motor? If we are speculating, let's speculate up....

This stinks. Might have to get a M12 to hold me over...
I'm just saying that it will hopefully be an opportunity to correct any other minor issues that they might have found after the fact, rather than having to wait for the next iteration of this engine. I don't expect a HP bump like you would get in an RS. Too much to hope for....
Old 03-10-2014, 05:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Replacing every motor doesn't make any sense. It they are certain they have identified the problem enough to build new engines, then why wouldn't they just replace the offending part on every motor already built, rather than replacing every motor. If they can't be certain which motors have a bad part, replace that part on every motor out there. No disrespect to Macca, but I've learned to take info here with a grain of salt. All the secrecy thus far, and one individual gets told this? I'm not sure I buy it.
Put it this way : Whether Macca's info is correct or not,at this point there's a pretty strong sense that there's an internal engine problem. If true,what would you rather have : a dealership technician opening up your engine and swapping parts internally or a complete brand new engine from the factory,that can be installed without dealing with clearances and torque specs?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 PM
0Q991
Drifting

+1 for new engine.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys

Those of you that have your cars need to post the serial numbers off your engine so that we can track were these defective motors are going...I don't trust, nor would I want one of the currently delivered motors in a new GT3 yet to be delivered........

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?