Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:45 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
I was thinking that after I posted. Just dreaming.
I'm dreaming for the Flat-8. I think it'll be a great way to go. Much rather have an NA F-8 than a Turbo F-6.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
I'd like to see that on the 991 GT2/RS.
I'd rather not have an artificial electronic limit to the torque (boost). That's what your right foot is for
Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Agree with you SAM!!! I still don't understand why the motoring world doesn't see the benefit of the low CofG rear engine 911. They just keep propagating the old 911 stories, and say Porsche has engineered the danger out of it. It just amazes me. You will hear that the 911 is "efficient" with it's use of power, but never that it "could" be an advantage to have the rear engine. Remember that article in one of the magazines, comparing the Cayman and the Gt3?
“The Cayman is, as it is mid-engined, conceptually better than the 911, so if you have the same engine in both cars then the Cayman would be the faster car, and that is not our intention.”- Matthias Müller, President and CEO, Porsche AG.

The 911 does have advantages, and I generally prefer the way it drives. Many of those advantages, however, are the result of engineering decisions such as a multi-link rear suspension on the 911 vs strut on the Cayman, higher ride height on the Cayman, etc. In the limit, at least as far as absolute performance the majority of situations is concerned, mid-engine is the way to go. Porsche knows this, and the CGT, 918, and every real race car demonstrates this. Driving enjoyment is a different question...

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
I thought I read somewhere that the 4.0 L was pushing the material limits for displacement. There just isn't much room there, and one still needs it to be reliable. Stroking it to 4.1L like SW can do is possible.
SW takes the same stroke as the 4.0 and increases bore. At that point the bore is essentially at the limit without boring the block; with boring the block a slight bore increase is possible, and a further stroke increase is also possible. Something in the range of 4.4 liters seems possible reliably on the Mezger with some drawbacks such as reduced revs. The 9A1 will be different again...
Old 08-07-2014, 02:01 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Id really like to be wrong, but I would bet a lunch on the fact that the GT4 will not have a headline HP above 400 and will likely infact be below (Im guessing 385-395 bhp).
Heck, I'll take one at 350hp provided it's NA, revs above 8k, and weighs less than 2600lbs but we've all given up on the weight front at this point, it seems. These games PAG is playing by stuffing the 300-475hp range with infinite variations of basically the same engine, separated by 10hp differences, are becoming ridiculous. A mere distraction for the fact that their cars are heavier with each new generation despite using ever lighter materials with which to build them. Preparation for the wonderful world of porky hybrids, I guess.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Bear in mind that the 991 body in white and the new motor are each about 70lbs lighter than the prior gen. It's really PDK and RWS that undercut most of the potential weight savings in new paltform.

Porsche has the basic bones to make the 991 RS significantly lighter than the 997.2 RS and it's going to be very interesting to see how aggressive they get in terms of decontenting/weight savings.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Bear in mind that the 991 body in white and the new motor are each about 70lbs lighter than the prior gen. It's really PDK and RWS that undercut most of the potential weight savings in new paltform.

Porsche has the basic bones to make the 991 RS significantly lighter than the 997.2 RS and it's going to be very interesting to see how aggressive they get in terms of decontenting/weight savings.
There's precedent for Titanium muffler (most owners will swap for something else anyway), lithium ion battery, cf front fenders, etc.

The car could have 475 bhp and weigh exactly the same as the "base" GT3 (some lighter parts for sure; but bigger wing and aero package, bigger wheels and tires, wider bodywork, etc.) and be slower at the top end due to drag and also potentially shorter gearing.

They'd still sell them all. They don't have to do much.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:12 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Bear in mind that the 991 body in white and the new motor are each about 70lbs lighter than the prior gen. It's really PDK and RWS that undercut most of the potential weight savings in new paltform. Porsche has the basic bones to make the 991 RS significantly lighter than the 997.2 RS and it's going to be very interesting to see how aggressive they get in terms of decontenting/weight savings.

Thanks Nizer. All you guys with red need to take note. The lighter chassis only applies to white.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:40 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm dreaming for the Flat-8. I think it'll be a great way to go. Much rather have an NA F-8 than a Turbo F-6.
+1
Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the modern era of cars, safety and government regs really control what we will see. The 73 RS would do terrible in a modern day crash test. The governments of the world are protecting the public. In fact, nearly all mfrs will be forced to start making electric vehicles simply to meet fleet average mpg by 2025.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,783 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Would an inline-8 fit in a 911 body chassis?

If I have my history right (and I may not), the last inline-8 that Porsche made was for the 908, which had a tail as long as some car hoods these days.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:15 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
we can't just pretend that the 911 platform is doing amazing in motorsports. They're in 2nd behind Chevy in IMSA (and would be lower if not for some failures on the other cars), and had a pretty poor showing at Le Mans, only coming in 3rd in the GTE Pro. I don't know if there are other reasons, but it does seem like Porsche is not dominant like it once was.
Rules and lack of engineers/money... I don't think we'll see much in terms of 911 racing development until the 919 is winning races and PMS is happy enough with its status to move the development engineers back?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:34 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

If I have my history right (and I may not), the last inline-8 that Porsche made was for the 908, which had a tail as long as some car hoods these days.
We don't need a back seat.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the motor was moved forward in the 991 specifically to make room for an eventual Flat-8 (much shorter than inline-8 by the way), as well as hybrid gear in some models. It should only be several inches longer and not terribly more heavy. It would allow higher revs, displacement, power, and torque than the GT3's F-6, without resorting to turbos.

BTW, the 9A1 platform of the new DFI Flat-6 was specifically designed to be modular, allowing F-4, F-6, and F-8 configurations...
Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Thanks Nizer. All you guys with red need to take note. The lighter chassis only applies to white.
Everyone knows that already no?

Ruff already put a V8 in the back, so why not? Actually they should just stuff that V8 in and call it a day, skip the CS package and make integrated roll bar and seats standard.

Originally Posted by hf1
Heck, I'll take one at 350hp provided it's NA, revs above 8k, and weighs less than 2600lbs but we've all given up on the weight front at this point, it seems. These games PAG is playing by stuffing the 300-475hp range with infinite variations of basically the same engine, separated by 10hp differences, are becoming ridiculous. A mere distraction for the fact that their cars are heavier with each new generation despite using ever lighter materials with which to build them. Preparation for the wonderful world of porky hybrids, I guess.
And manual, 5 lug, a true stripper budget Cayman that is faster along the lines of the '93RSA less for less and faster.

I think the motor was moved forward in the 991 specifically to make room for an eventual Flat-8 (much shorter than inline-8 by the way), as well as hybrid gear in some models. It should only be several inches longer and not terribly more heavy. It would allow higher revs, displacement, power, and torque than the GT3's F-6, without resorting to turbos.

BTW, the 9A1 platform of the new DFI Flat-6 was specifically designed to be modular, allowing F-4, F-6, and F-8 configurations...
And they are already doing Flat 4, so that means the RS is a flat 8.
Its official folks you read it here first.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
And they are already doing Flat 4, so that means the RS is a flat 8.
Its official folks you read it here first.
I think we need to wait for 992 version

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread