Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 LA Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:39 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Rhodium with red wheels.. Is that too "RS"?
Old 11-30-2013, 03:03 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I have to figure out a way to look at some 991 GT3s in rhodium silver and guards red before my order is locked in January. This decision is driving me crazy, as it is for many of the rennlisters.

My first Porsche was a Guards Red Boxster. I loved that color on the Boxter, but not so much on a 911, mainly because of the lack of contrast points on the 911, (minimal ducts, no cab top, no spoiler or rear intake, etc).
The couple of GT3 reviews that have photos the GT3 in Guards Red, look great, but nothing is like seeing the car in person. I'm worried I'll be like you and change my mind once I see my GT3 in person.

These Rhodium photos look really nice. I can't finalized my color decision, arrgh! I've looked at local 911s in both colors, but it's just not the same as looking over a 991 GT3.

Anybody know when the first GT3 shipments will be arriving in the USA? I may have to go look at a few GT3s to finalize my decision.
Drift, Nielo Porsche in Rocklin has a 991-TTS in Rhodium. Swing by if you are not too far. It's as close to GT3 as it can get. I thought it looked really good but my wife has something against silver. It's a loosing battle and I gotta keep her happy otherwise no GT3
http://porsche.niello.com/details.ph...Turbo_S_Coupe#
Old 11-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

I sympathize with everyone still going though the color dilemma. Fortunately, I've achieved inner peace with my choice and I'm having no regrets which is great because it's too late to change now. The only good thing Porsche-wise about the SF car show was that they had a Guards Red Cayman there which looked terrific (and in general I'm not wild about the Cayman's looks). It was funny because I came back to the Porsche exhibit right before we left the show and the only car that had a small crowd around it was that Cayman. The (color redacted) 50th anniversary edition Carrera next to it had no one looking at it. Which, of course, will help no one here who is undecided. But it made me feel kind of good.....
Old 11-30-2013, 03:37 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I was at the show today. That rhodium silver is a really great looking color. Almost liquid in appearance. I prefer the more subtle look, however, and if I were ordering a GT3 it would be a tough call for rhodium or white. One thing, the lighting in the porsche hall was really harsh, very cool LED maybe? It made everything look a little off to me. Would like to see this color in natural light. Circle Porsche has a Geyser Grey 50th in their showroom, and that color looked stunning to me in person. Looks nothing like the online pictures.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:07 AM
llstuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in an order for agate grey today. Have until early Jan to change it. I'm surprised it seems very few people have ordered agate thus far. There are some good euro delivery pics over on piston heads of the different colors. Agree with others that it is very challenging to have conviction without seeing it in the flesh. If I was in a rural area would get a flashy color - sapphire, yellow or guards, but I want to keep it a bit more discrete and agate, black or rhodium seem the best alts. Can't wait to get it in April!
Old 09-08-2014, 01:19 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I agree with 'Drifting' and sharply disagree with 'silverrules' service advisor. His thinking is dated. There are no worries with the synthetic, color-fast threads that Porsche uses for stitching on its interiors. It will not discolor, whether you apply leather conditioner to it or not. It will not tarnish, sully, spoil, mar or blemish any of your white bell bottom pants! One more thing. Even light color stitching, like white or silver, are stain resistant and will provide years of 'as new' look in relation to your leather interior. Here is a quote from an email I received from 'Porsche Exclusive/Germany' several years ago when I was considering ordering a car with deviating stitching in 'white':

"We did many cars with white thread, not only customer cars but also demonstration cars and we never hat big problems with the white thread. We now got a Boxster with blue interior and white stitching which we used for the Frankfurt Auto Show. Even at this car, where many visitors of the show had a seat, you do not see, how many people were test seating if you have a look at the stitching. The thread is kind of a synthetic material."

The threads being used by Porsche & their subcontractors are state of the art synthetic - whether its nylon, polyester or the newer PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene). I have photos of the actual color threads which are given by the actual suppliers to Porsche for consideration by 'Porsche Exclusive' in their custom interiors. I have attached two of those photos below. Do not be afraid of deviating stitching. It is one of the most distinguishing characteristics in a bespoke Porsche interior, albeit at a cost!

Regarding the ongoing debate here between the two stitching colors offered on the 991 gt3, all I can say is that BOTH are winners. Please note that I believe that the standard no-cost stitching is a distinctive light color (silver in my eyes - see below) which is substantially better looking than the standard default 'Funeral Grey' (last photo) stitching on standard 991 black interiors. So whether you choose 'Silver' or the extra cost 'Red', you will end up with a better looking combo than most other 991 'schwarz' interiors!

For more helpful information on 'Custom Ordering' a 991 via 'Porsche Exclusive', I suggest you visit this thread here at Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I love your posts. That is all.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:08 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
I love your posts. That is all.
Thank You, hfm. Very kind of you to say that!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 LA Auto Show