Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO Video 991 GT3 v M12C - Unbelievable!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
Pete. As a Brit I translate Jethros statement there to mean on the track the PDK is at least a match for the manual experience.
egads....and I thought you were dangerous as a Kiwi...only to discover you're a Pom?.....

And whilst you were on the subject of Targa's....Eric Bana's little ode:

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
PS: Im not a Brit as you know..but studied at one of your best universities..
Hull?

Old 08-22-2013, 04:05 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
I'm getting very confused:

One group on this forum wants race car, another would like a DD, yet another says dual purpose car.

Many people would kill for 25 more HP, but will happily give up lap time for a chance to "row there own".

The GT3 is inadequate because it's a little slower than the 458 Speciale at less than half the price.

The GT3 is inadequate because it is only a little faster than the Corvette at more than twice the price.

The GT3 fails because, despite clearly outperforming its predecessors, it is too comfortable.

The GT3 fails because it isn't as good as the forthcoming RS, about which we know next to nothing.

The GT3's durability is questionable despite Porsche's long time reputation for reliability on the track and on the street. The 991 seems to have avoided first year problems, but that doesn't matter. It's cooling hoses and CL's that are the worry. Porsche surely overlooked fixing those issues! Of course, there is no question about the Corvette or Ferrari. We'll just rush right out and buy one.

I could go on with my confusion, but I think I will just shut up and drive.
Well put.. This whole thread, and in fact seemingly every thread on the 991 GT3 on this forum reminds me of this:

Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
egads....and I thought you were dangerous as a Kiwi...only to discover you're a Pom?.....

And whilst you were on the subject of Targa's....Eric Bana's little ode: Love the Beast Trailer - YouTube

Hull?

Stephen Fry on Oxford - YouTube
Bill. I lied. Im a Kiwi but I hold a UK passport (immigrant POM parents). I have spent a number of stretches living there in my lifetime however - enough to understand the vernacular LOL!

I was going to mention this video. I ordered it about 3 months ago after being told I would love it by the same guy who knows me well and told me Id love the 991 GT3. Hes a automotive test engineer and done many NZ and Tassi Targas. I did love it and its a great car flick for anyone downunder.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:23 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Well put.. This whole thread, and in fact seemingly every thread on the 991 GT3 on this forum reminds me of this:

Argument Clinic - YouTube
+1
Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They lost me when they called the under equipped12C THE benchmark for going fast around a circuit. Where and when? Rcompound level grip like what the dunlops have proven to provide tend to have the huge effect on braking turn in and overall grip he was raving about. Especially when compared to reg old street tires.

Cant wait until the car gets tested in the US so we can see whats really up.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S

And whilst you were on the subject of Targa's....Eric Bana's little ode: Love the Beast Trailer - YouTube

Hull?

Stephen Fry on Oxford - YouTube
no..certainly not Hull....didnt even know they had a university..but it wasnt far from you..
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
My wife cant drive an MT and therefore is unable to drive my 7.2 "even" if I wanted her to
just off topic too: my gf can drive my GT3 or GT2..no problem..she said: "this clutch is strange ..but otherwise OK.."

But I dont want her to drive my cars either..
Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kosmo
Fyi the 12c had a 7:28 ring time. The gt3 did it at 7:25.
yeah but youre comparing apples and oranges..the 12c time is verified and tested by Sport Auto..the other is just a manufacturer claim. I highly doubt that the 991 GT3 will beat the 12C..at the long straight at Döttinger Höhe the 475HP will never be enough to keep up with the 12C (620HP)...

September issue of Sport Auto will reveal the last puzzle piece...
Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Arth
Racer

Originally Posted by wanna911
They lost me when they called the under equipped12C THE benchmark for going fast around a circuit. Where and when? Rcompound level grip like what the dunlops have proven to provide tend to have the huge effect on braking turn in and overall grip he was raving about. Especially when compared to reg old street tires.

Cant wait until the car gets tested in the US so we can see whats really up.
Lol... Your right about the tires and all ... But thinking that it needs to be reviewed in the US to see whats what is funny
Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

What tires does the 12C come with? I kinda doubt they're crappy street tires.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes. and i think the 12c was the verision w/ jut 600hp.

anyway the Gtr less power w/ 545 posted a 7:18
Old 08-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Arth
Racer

In Dubai the 12C comes with Pirelli P Zeros, still not as good as semi slicks but not crappy by any means
Old 08-22-2013, 12:04 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
on the engines of the 991: 991.2 is likely to get a turbocharged version of the 9a1 engine...but with smaller displacement...so this will for sure have more torque..but the point is..the 991 GT3 could be one of the last 911s with normally aspirated engine..
So the next GT3. . . . will be a GT2?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:17 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

an array of turbo engines are in the pipeline, yes.
only the flagship though, will be called turbo
there would be further virtual carnage if they got rid of n/a all-together....imagine that?
climate is changing fast.
hybrids
turbos
pdks
electronics
lifestyle...
i don't know if i can adapt, will stick to moving coil cartridges, valves and electrostatics i think! haha
Old 08-22-2013, 01:36 PM
frayed
Race Car

Somewhere along the line, with all this progress, I guess we all have to choose when (if) to get off the merry-go-round. Some did with the waterpumpers. Some will with the PDK only GT3 approach. But I suspect we all have our limits. Once we go hybrid with a virtual engine soundtrack piped through the vehicle's soundsystem, I'll put my NA non-turbo non-hybrid in shrink wrap.

Quick Reply: EVO Video 991 GT3 v M12C - Unbelievable!