Sponsored by:

GT3 RS Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
why do all the fears of American lawyers have to take away the sports bucket seats for us Canadians!?
That is just what we call in warfare unintended 'collateral damage'. If we let you have it, all of us enthusiasts here in America would feel doubly bad! So PCNA makes all the children in our part of the world take the same medicine and worship at the same 'safety' altar!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-10-2013, 01:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
In Europe, they actually go to great pains, and much of the marketing is oriented, to explain how the Mono is perfectly suitable as a street car. It is a softly sprung ride. Here in the US my perception is most current deposit holders have a strong interest in licensing it for street use as well. Personally I've no interest and plan to use as 100% track as that is where its abilities are best showcased.

My point was intended to be that it is honestly and transparently presented, marketed, and supported (the track use document) for what it is.
Porsche could use that marketing in the upcomming RS if they wanted to shake up the auto community. But with VW behind the wheel i cannot see it.

Cup car is the only route now for motorsport marketing.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A deposit holder wants to do One Lap here in the US Again, I am agreed it is not something I personally want to drive as a street car, but Bill why would you say you would need a support car? It should get great fuel mileage at cruising speed? Just asking - no ulterior motive to the question, curious to hear your thought.
as to why the support car...well here's my thoughts..

take the Stelvio...its ~14hrs from my door..that's a long journey in an open sports car...and whilst your mettle might best mine...I'm hoping for clear skies and NO rain....

also, where do you put the overnight bag?....

Could it be done...yes there's a litany of Caterham..KTM...Ariel...Morgan enthusiasts who have...but not my idea of fun....

Now if I can find a garage near the Nordschliefe or SPA....and deposit the BAC there....that's appealing
Old 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
as to why the support car...well here's my thoughts..

take the Stelvio...its ~14hrs from my door..that's a long journey in an open sports car...and whilst your mettle might best mine...I'm hoping for clear skies and NO rain....

also, where do you put the overnight bag?....

Could it be done...yes there's a litany of Caterham..KTM...Ariel...Morgan enthusiasts who have...but not my idea of fun....

Now if I can find a garage near the Nordschliefe or SPA....and deposit the BAC there....that's appealing
Ok, got it There are two storage areas (carbon fiber of course) in the front where a rather large and then a smaller backpack and/or case would fit. If I were so inclined (and again personally I'm not) I could easily fit a laptop, several days undies, shirt, pants and toiletries up there with room to spare.

The aero work they did makes the cockpit a calm area, there is little to no wind buffeting. The seating position while at first glance appears awkward, is actually very comfortable. One of the Briggs brothers designed the seats for a car we like to bash on here and also for the forthcoming 918.

Overall it would be a much more civilized experience than the Caterham/KTM/Ariel/Morgan. But my intent is not to sell it, I'm like you, I would either trailer or arrive and drive a pre-positioned car
Attached Images   
Old 03-10-2013, 04:13 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

In Europe, they actually go to great pains, and much of the marketing is oriented, to explain how the Mono is perfectly suitable as a street car. It is a softly sprung ride. Here in the US my perception is most current deposit holders have a strong interest in licensing it for street use as well. Personally I've no interest and plan to use as 100% track as that is where its abilities are best showcased.

My point was intended to be that it is honestly and transparently presented, marketed, and supported (the track use document) for what it is.
I will be interested to see your reviews on it. It looks amazing!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
. If they put in a proper 6 speed manual instead of the heavy PDK-derived 7 speed it could easily break below the magic 3,0000lb number.
Please don't be satisfied with 6 gears. The 7 close ratios added with the PDK is a big damn deal, performance-wise. GT3 has needed closer ratios for years. I'm with you on Manual option, but don't let Porsche think we're ok with the 6 wide ratios, please.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

I'm like you, I would either trailer or arrive and drive a pre-positioned car
I'm not sure I entirely get most cars as track only propositions. If it's track only, you've got shifter-carts, formula cars, etc as the competition, and suddenly 150k+ sounds very steep.

As a street/ track car, however, I must admit I'm almost daily having to fight off the urge to put a deposit down for one of these before it's on Top Gear later this season and the wait list goes from one year to three overnight. I'd assumed my only option to make it street legal in the US was manufacture's plates, which is a pain. However if they succeed in getting a kit to make it street legal my bank account might be in serious trouble...

I'd do One Lap in this. Hell, there was a guy that did it an open top Lister Storm a few years ago. He almost got crushed by a semi at night in a heavy rainstorm, but he's been my hero ever since. Unfortunately Brock would never let it win overall, but it'd be awesome anyway.

Last edited by Petevb; 03-10-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Please don't be satisfied with 6 gears. The 7 close ratios added with the PDK is a big damn deal, performance-wise. GT3 has needed closer ratios for years. I'm with you on Manual option, but don't let Porsche think we're ok with the 6 wide ratios, please.
I disagree. Everything I've seen says the 7 speed is a compromise to make it more parts compatible with the PDK, and I also understand that shift feel is sub-par due to some of the design issues.
From a driving and weight perspective I believe an optimized 6 speed would be a better transmission for the GT3. There is such a thing as too much shifting, and in a car this fast adding more gears can actually slow you down with wasted shifting time.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Petevb. Owners I know with the 7 speed manual concur. They wish they had have bought the 7 speed PDK after trying it. The old 6 speed would have been the only option to mate to this engine. Its capable of handling the power and has better shift quality. Im hearing the GT3 PDK is a really impressive gearbox and different than what we have seen to date so far (shift speed, keeness etc)
Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petevb
As a street/ track car, however, I must admit I'm almost daily having to fight off the urge to put a deposit down for one of these before it's on Top Gear later this season and the wait list goes from one year to three overnight. I'd assumed my only option to make it street legal in the US was manufacture's plates, which is a pain. However if they succeed in getting a kit to make it street legal my bank account might be in serious trouble...
Talk to Shinoo at Sector111 about getting one street legal, it is pretty darn easy in many states (state specific). Certainly easy in CA and NV. No need for mfg plates or added parts, it is fully street legal in the US as is. At lower speeds you just use the clutch when shifting and it is perfectly streetable.

Since I didn't sign an NDA I can say that Top Gear UK did a photo shoot with the Mono a week ago in Death Valley which will be published later this year. My understanding is it will be "epic". Maybe you know about this and it is what you referenced above?
Old 03-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Talk to Shinoo at Sector111 about getting one street legal, it is pretty darn easy in many states (state specific). Certainly easy in CA and NV.
Oh crap. OK. I thought their web site made it sound otherwise. Big enough for someone 6'3"?

Since I didn't sign an NDA I can say that Top Gear UK did a photo shoot with the Mono a week ago in Death Valley which will be published later this year. My understanding is it will be "epic". Maybe you know about this and it is what you referenced above?
If you look at the montage at the intro of the Top Gear (UK) season this year you'll see them doing donuts in the Mono. I can't imagine them saying anything bad about the car, and given that Top Gear is the most watched TV show in the world, I'm pretty sure wait lists are about to get very, very long.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Oh crap. OK. I thought their web site made it sound otherwise. Big enough for someone 6'3"?

If you look at the montage at the intro of the Top Gear (UK) season this year you'll see them doing donuts in the Mono. I can't imagine them saying anything bad about the car, and given that Top Gear is the most watched TV show in the world, I'm pretty sure wait lists are about to get very, very long.
Sorry again, but I understand 6'5" is the limit

Ah-ha, that montage is from 2012. There is a new video from two weeks ago on Monoforum you might enjoy.

A few more people taking the plunge and we'll have our own US one-make series this year
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
I still think the *** seats are not that bad even though a CHOICE between (racing and non-racing) seats would be nice like in the past...
Horst, do you (or anyone) have any idea how much more the ***'s weigh relative to the standard sport seats or sport buckets? Do the adjustable side bolsters really do anything to help hold you in place or are they designed mainly to help the seats fit a wider variety of bodies? Of course the harness pass through issue is still unresolved without going aftermarket which makes me hesitate to spend big on the *** and then end up buying seats aftermarket anyway.....
Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I disagree. Everything I've seen says the 7 speed is a compromise to make it more parts compatible with the PDK, and I also understand that shift feel is sub-par due to some of the design issues.
From a driving and weight perspective I believe an optimized 6 speed would be a better transmission for the GT3. There is such a thing as too much shifting, and in a car this fast adding more gears can actually slow you down with wasted shifting time.
The issue is that the PDK-derived seven speed is pig heavy.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Talk to Shinoo at Sector111 about getting one street legal, it is pretty darn easy in many states (state specific). Certainly easy in CA and NV. No need for mfg plates or added parts, it is fully street legal in the US as is. At lower speeds you just use the clutch when shifting and it is perfectly streetable.
Shinoo indicated most licensing in US are going the kit car route so it depends on whether your state has something similar and/or how much flexibility it provides.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Rumors