GT3 RS Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 03:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
Just wait a few years, Mooty... You'll change your mind :-)
trust me, i take 800mg ibuprofen before i drive. then 1600 mg after i drive.
i do the same when i ride bikes.
i used to ride non suspended bikes, now i need 6" shocks. soon i 'll be racing wheel chairs.

my racing saddle: you dont want to know what i need to do to my *** after the rides.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
delete
You're funny, Mooty! But I agree, Ibuprofen is my best friend :-)
Old 03-10-2013, 03:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

You're funny, Mooty! But I agree, Ibuprofen is my best friend :-)
i WAS immortal. fell of mt bike, dislocated shoulder, instaed of turing back, i decided to finish my 40 mile dirt ride.

handle bar fell off, stem face plate done. hell, hookooekoo can't be that hard. i made it home with detachable handle bar.

lost my glasses (i am -9 both eyes) i made it home after hitting a few trees ;-)

but i love my ibuprofen.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

delete, politically incorrect post.
get ppl's knickers all tied up.
damn! I missed it!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I still think the *** seats are not that bad even though a CHOICE between (racing and non-racing) seats would be nice like in the past...
Agree with you. Also agree with your previous post about seats. Pass thru for harnesses for these seats would be great. Oh well.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:03 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

trust me, i take 800mg ibuprofen before i drive. then 1600 mg after i drive.
i do the same when i ride bikes.
i used to ride non suspended bikes, now i need 6" shocks. soon i 'll be racing wheel chairs.

my racing saddle: you dont want to know what i need to do to my *** after the rides.
Yeah when I miss the several months of no riding due to weather it takes a while for my *** to get in shape. Legs come back faster.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356
Shizzle, if you make a similar study of what seats were ordered by customers vs dealer (for spec inventory) on the .2 gt3's and even some .2 gt3 RS, you will find the same degree of dealer bias in favor of ordering the more comfortable 'sport seats' rather than the gt2 sport buckets! That is PART of the bigger story here! The US dealer network has played (in my opinion) a major role in convincing PCNA not to allow the gt2 seats to be offered on the 991 gt3!

BUT PCNA was easily convinced not to offer gt2 sport buckets seats on the 991 gt3 because they (and their lawyers) want to see LESS 991 gt3's at the track than more. That is the SECOND part of this story. Not having the proper seat is an obstacle and gives them some legal cover ('not intended to be taken to the track'), a sort of unsigned waiver! Most 991 gt3's that are going to be used hard at the track will need to change seats and the lawyers think this 'extra step' will help them down the road should a legal case surface. The reason for this 'shift' is due to the real issues that recent .1 & .2 gt3's have suffered under intense track usage (CL, faulty hoses, etc). The fact is that our US laws offer more protection of the customer (and injured parties) than in other world market. So any adverse gt3 incidents here (e.g. deaths caused by fault of the car) will have real legal & financial consequences for PAG and PCNA in our US jurisdiction!

This is a major 'shift' in marketing and reality for the 991 gt3 in the US and it will have major consequences for our hobby here! I think PAG is hoping that the upcoming 991 gt3 RS will be bullet-proof and thus be designated as the proper 'track' car for the US enthusiasts. That is the model they will want to 'push' us to use on the track as 'amateurs'. That is what the PCNA's lawyers are praying will happen! We will see. But 'caveat emptor'.

Saludos, z356
That is as good an educated guess as any I have seen. Makes perfect sense. Well thought out and presented Eduardo.

And your comments get to the base of why I have come to disrespect Porsche as a company and brand- the only time you see or hear from them is when they are selling a new model. You couldn't get away from them marketing their $1m albatross the 918 a few months ago. GD test mules were all over the fricken world.

Try and get some answers or help with the defects and sub-standard for tracking issues (coolant fitting, clutches, LSD's, rollbar plates, centerlocks, tapered brake pad wear, can't 2-3 shift under lateral load, toe-link slippage) and you are screwed. Those same marketing hacks want nothing to do with you.

Marketing says go thrash the heck out it! Reality says sucker!

When you as a manufacturer have the unmitigated gall to charge me over $1000 for a single rear toe link (GT2RS), and $3000+ for the crap necessary to replace a rear bumper cover on a GT3 (Cayenne Turbo is ~$350! WTF?) that is when I say to you - GFY. And I did, and made the switch to a car manufacturer that is so confident in their product, they provide you with a "Track Use Guide" (see attached) !
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Track Use Guide_version1_0.pdf (305.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 Spot on, IMHO. It's ridiculous that Porsche cannot offer a stock seat w/ pass throughs at the very least, maybe the 'Vette having them will make them reconsider. Of course that would only be if the 991 GT3 doesn't sell well...which is doubtful.

I've been biting my tongue, or in internet lingo, cupping my finger tips on this seat issue. While I couldn't agree more that we should have a CHOICE of racing vs casual DE seat (sport buckets vs sport or *** seats), let's not bash those *** seats altogether, okay? While the RS crowd wants and probably should have the GT2 seats, they just need to wait for the RS. The GT3 has ALWAYS come standard with NON-RACING seats.
As far as the *** seats are concerned, I've tracked for two years now, over 40 track-days, with my *** seats and it's really not a problem on short tracks as far as fatigue goes (and they are absolutely a dream on long drives!). Yes, my shoulders are tired at day's end from holding on to the steering wheel a little too much because of the lack of a harness but if you're of small to medium (i.e. not AMERICAN) frame, you're good. Besides, like someone mentioned earlier, if you have a long upper torso like I do, you DO NOT FIT into the racing seats. I "test-sat" with my helmet on and it didn't work plus the headrest (top portion of the GT2 seat is angled forward) is extremely uncomfortable, at least for me, to seat in a car like this. And if you're approaching the latter stage of your life (when you most can afford your GT3 :-), lumbar support and various adjustments is HEAVEN...and adjusting, i.e. "leaning" the seat backwards to gain headroom doesn't work for people with bad backs...
As far as safety goes, that's all relative to your risk management strategy. If I were good enough to drive ***** out, I would have a 6-point, HANS, and a FULL cage but I'm not, like most GT3 drivers and for us, the *** seats are not that bad.
What we should have, like the Aston Martins, the new Corvette, and others come standard with is comfortable, adjustable, somewhat light-weight seats with pass through at the shoulders and the seat bottom so the customer can decided what to do. Unfortunately, Porsche hasn't figured this out yet...
Again, I think *** seats in a "regular" GT3 are good. I rest in peace, no flames please.
Horst.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

It is very unfortunate that the sport buckets are not an option. I don't think they will be available for the RS either given PCNAs presumed reasoning to eliminate them on the GT3. I'd order these seats for any two door Porsche currently offered if I were speccing a car. Many people dislike the 991 GT3 for different reasons, but my number one is these lack of these seats. This dark cloud has a silver lining though...although small, Porsche will feel the effect with my wallet when I buy the C7 ZO6 instead and save myself $50K in the process.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

It just won't sell well to track junkies, mission accomplished.
Corvette comes up a lot. Still needs to prove itself, but I like their intent, content, or at least they seem to be more honest in their marketing towards track use.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:58 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
And I did, and made the switch to a car manufacturer that is so confident in their product, they provide you with a "Track Use Guide" (see attached) !
But wouldn't they have to strongly support track use with this car? It seems the main intent is track use. I wouldn't guess they get used on the street much at all?

As far as safety goes, that's all relative to your risk management strategy. If I were good enough to drive ***** out, I would have a 6-point, HANS, and a FULL cage but I'm not, like most GT3 drivers and for us, the *** seats are not that bad.
Horst.
You don't have to be going ***** out to get hurt on track. A spin, running into spilled fluids, etc. can be significant on tracks with little run off. I've seen it many times. Granted there are many who track with little to no safety equipment, but once you use all the things you mention, you likely won't go back. No need to brace yourself to stay in the seat!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:12 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by scott40
But wouldn't they have to strongly support track use with this car? It seems the main intent is track use. I wouldn't guess they get used on the street much at all?
In Europe, they actually go to great pains, and much of the marketing is oriented, to explain how the Mono is perfectly suitable as a street car. It is a softly sprung ride. Here in the US my perception is most current deposit holders have a strong interest in licensing it for street use as well. Personally I've no interest and plan to use as 100% track as that is where its abilities are best showcased.

My point was intended to be that it is honestly and transparently presented, marketed, and supported (the track use document) for what it is.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savyboy
In Europe, they actually go to great pains, and much of the marketing is oriented, to explain how the Mono is perfectly suitable as a street car.
Savy....the BAC mono is one hell of a track tool...but i could not imagine using it as a street car...

Thought long and hard about going the BAC Mono route...but you can't do the EVO triangle... the Nordschliefe...Stelvio...without a support car running with you....at least I can't.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:27 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Savy....the BAC mono is one hell of a track tool...but i could not imagine using it as a street car...

Thought long and hard about going the BAC Mono route...but you can't do the EVO triangle... the Nordschliefe...Stelvio...without a support car running with you....at least I can't.
A deposit holder wants to do One Lap here in the US Again, I am agreed it is not something I personally want to drive as a street car, but Bill why would you say you would need a support car? It should get great fuel mileage at cruising speed? Just asking - no ulterior motive to the question, curious to hear your thought.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:24 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Shizzle, if you make a similar study of what seats were ordered by customers vs dealer (for spec inventory) on the .2 gt3's and even some .2 gt3 RS, you will find the same degree of dealer bias in favor of ordering the more comfortable 'sport seats' rather than the gt2 sport buckets! That is PART of the bigger story here! The US dealer network has played (in my opinion) a major role in convincing PCNA not to allow the gt2 seats to be offered on the 991 gt3!
Saludos, z356
Thanks for the detailed analysis! I think in this case we can show its a case of the tail wagging the dog. The dealer network justifies its statement of not being able to sell the GT2 seats, and essentially they manifest this happening by not ordering it on their cars.

And the other question based on your analysis - why do all the fears of American lawyers have to take away the sports bucket seats for us Canadians!?

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Rumors