Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I mean, come on: should it REALLY require several people, a jack, and a gigantic 4' long tool just to properly torque a....
some girls say yes
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Right. Choices. For $150K+, I would like to choose a manual transmission and 5 lug wheels with smaller diameter.
But no choice should be available on whether to be able to shift with paddles or a console stick.....
Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks good and the engine sounds furious, thanks for the post.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At the risk of sounding stupid, where is the definitive info. that says PDK only.

Wouldn't they just need a new bell housing to mate the existing manual GT3 tranny to the new motor or am i missing something?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Marketing would have a heart attack if the Carrera models came with 7-speed gearbox and GT3 6-speed manual...and a new bellhousing for a tranny that would be optional on just 1 low-volume model (so far at least) does not make financial sense.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Lets start a separate CL hate forum
Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
But no choice should be available on whether to be able to shift with paddles or a console stick.....
Mike- I will be really surprised if that center lever works like a sequential. That's unlikely. Most likely it is going to have PRNDL, like all the other Porsche ones. For it to operate like a sequential is far fetched. Is there information you have to the contrary?

Overall, the car looks good pending full release details. I have a deposit on an RS. As Mooty says, one can always own the MT and lease the PDK.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
^Marketing would have a heart attack if the Carrera models came with 7-speed gearbox and GT3 6-speed manual...and a new bellhousing for a tranny that would be optional on just 1 low-volume model (so far at least) does not make financial sense.
I think it's pretty widely accepted that the 7th. gear in the Carrera manual is for highway cruising to achieve maximum MPG not to maximize performance.

Isn't a bell housing just a stamped piece, don't think it's an expensive item.

In any case I have a deposit on a 991 GT3 and if there's no manual I'm cancelling my order. Hopefully if the initial release does turn out to be PDK only a manual will be offered at a later date. It is a deal breaker for me.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
Mike- I will be really surprised if that center lever works like a sequential. That's unlikely. Most likely it is going to have PRNDL, like all the other Porsche ones. For it to operate like a sequential is far fetched. Is there information you have to the contrary?

Overall, the car looks good pending full release details. I have a deposit on an RS. As Mooty says, one can always own the MT and lease the PDK.
Scott, the normal PDK shifter is marked PRND with manual off to the left, + forward upshift and - back downshift. In the instrument cluster it repeats PRND; to the left it has an M with a + on top and a minus on the bottom, mimicking the gearshift.

The pics of the new car, OTOH, show the M in the cluster with the - on top and the + on the bottom. If this also mimics the gearshift it indicates that you would pull back to upshift and forward to downshift; just like a sequential racing box. Yes, you'd have to pull it left to the manual position first, but after that it would functionally work the same (without a clutch of course). It was rumored that there would be surprises and something special about PDK in the GT3. I think this may be part of it.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.......
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

It is great that Rennlisters gets the real deal on this early information. Fantastic!

Based on the great specs of the new 991GT3 it will be worth a serious look for many 997GT3 owners.
It is lighter, faster, makes for a comfortable DD and quicker lap times too!

Would like to know more about the LSD and centerlocks however...

It is safe to say that after a full year of production or the release of a new RS (which ever comes first) faithful 997GT3 owners will make the move.
(PDK is going to be awesome on the track because it allows one to focus more on efficent line and entry/exit speed rather then messing about with heel and toe and other such shifting distractions. (And for bumper to bumper traffic it will actually be practical.)

With the larger 991 chassis, automatic transmission and 20" wheels it is safe to say that the 997 will still have a market however. (for those who enjoy a simple, manual 911 experience). The same reason why people still buy old 911 porsches.
I will end up in a 991RS at some point, however my 997RS will be going nowhere as it will be a keeper just for that very reason.
Last of the short wheel base, manual tranny GT porsches. Just as old 911s, it is just fun to drive. Small, responsive and sounds fantastic!

Now, my only question is when i do get a 991GT3, shall I maintain my 997RS in street trim or should i make it a full stripper/weekend warrior style hot rod? (kinda like a modern version of a Magnus 911)

decisions, desicions...
Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Lets start a separate CL hate forum
We already have one

At least 991 GT3 customers will be well imformed on what to expect after the *** ramming us current CL customers have come to expect... If I were looking to get into the market, I'd want to know that I will have to pony up a few thousand $$$ every 4200 track miles to ensure I don't die...

The ultimate insult will be if the new car doesn't have 4200 mile maintenance schedules meaning Porsche fixed the problem but are to cheap to retrofit and keep its existing customers happy and alive!!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 778 Posts

I don't know how long I'm still subscribed to Rennlist for but I dont see the 10 year renewal option.

911SLOW, send me your Paypal and I hope the informant received a life time membership.
If not create one and I'll buy him one :-)
Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the excellent scoop.

It seems the waiting was not in vain. This will be a truly remarkable vehicle and I for one cant wit to learn the final spec. A real game changer for Porsche, albiet a move towards the inevitable "digital world of speed".

Loving everything about the new car. Im sure we will have some news on the CL system it uses too in regards to maintenance schedule. If they have addressed everything else that detractos on this board have thrown up in the last 8 months Im sure they will have addressed this too. I know the steering software and PDK have come in for improvements and revisions so why not the CL too. The only thing that wont fail to disappointing is the price....that will be more than before by a fair margin (but then PDK is included)....
Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

PS. I suspect those rear red bumper reflectors are only for the N/A market! Not on ROW cars...

Also did you all spot the rear grill below the deck lid (mesh?) also same gill breathers beside mufflers boxes on side of rear bumper...nice!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

One last point to note chaps....that GT3 is still wearing the standard 991 door mirrors not the ones we believe will appear on the production car. The wheels too could change in design easy enough between track testing and Geneva in 14 days time....just a point....the spec however is now set in stone Id imagine...

Quick Reply: New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news!