Sponsored by:

Tale of a GT2RS Allocation

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
It's total bull****. Klaus Zellmer knows this and the entire PCNA management is in cahoots on it. Literally no other brand does it as seedy as Porsche does.

As a point of comparison I just placed a deposit down on an AMG G63 SUV. The 2019 is new, and they are not taking orders on it per se, but you can put down a 1K deposit for an allocation. I am #4 in line, Mercedes is extremely transparent about where you are on the list and puts together a written sheet for you.

Why can't Porsche do this???
If you were a regular customer at the MB dealer having purchased 6 cars over the past 10 years, do you think it is fair to you fit some guy who has never purchased from your dealer to be first to get a limited car because he placed several deposit with dealers?
Old 04-04-2018, 06:17 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
Literally no other brand does it as seedy as Porsche does.
BMW does it. And just that seedy. On their "limited productions." They all do it whenever a "limited production" (read - free money) comes along.

I used to believe being 1st on the list meant something. So, I would act on those "look what's coming" magazine articles, published in years in advance of production. I figured getting listed years in advance would guarantee me a spot ahead of everyone. The dealer wasn't even aware the thing was in the pipeline; but, he created a list with me as numero uno. I couldn't wait to see the car without that camo stuff. But, when appeared on the dealer horizon, I slipped to number two, then three, then three with ADM, then goodby. Silly me.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

If I get me deposit back that's been riding with dealership for 10+ years, it will be disappointing to go buy a car with no miles but years less warranty on the used market.
Not sure if I will the stomach to do it.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,467 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Four years ago, while talking to the Sales Manager of my local Porsche dealer, I told him it's only a matter of time before a new GT2 or GT2RS is released, As I am a good customer of the dealership, having bought/traded/sold GT3's, Macans, 911 Turbos, 911 S's, I asked what it would take to get allocated the GT2RS when it eventually came out. He said that the dealership was going to begin creating waiting lists for yet-to-be-released models, and taking $500 deposits from people interested in being put on the lists. I told him that I'd like to be first on the list for the GT2 or GT2RS (whichever eventually came out) and plopped over $1,000 to be "first on the list" for both models. Over the last few years, I've checked in with him regularly and was always assured that I was still "first on the list."

So last year, when the GT2RS was announced, I excitedly contacted the Sales Manager about my allocation. He ignored me and didn't return my calls or reply to my emails. When I was finally able to pin him own, he told me that the one or two GT2RS's that they anticipated to be allocated would go to 918 owners. I live in a smaller town, so our dealership is not high volume. There were only two 918's that passed through my dealer. One went to the dealership owner, and the other went to his son. As it turns out, both the dealer and his son will be getting the dealership's sole GT2RS allocations as well, and I was told that I "don't have a chance" of getting one.

Last fall when I was told this, I raised HOLY HELL and made a big stink about it. All I did is **** off the Sales Manager. But the point is, he was happy to take my deposits, and I was told for a few years that I would absolutely get an allocation.

I'm probably not the only one going through such a plight. But just thought I'd share.

Needless to say, I have an extremely dim view of Porsche and Porsche Dealers, who are playing the "good ol' boys" 918 Club game just a little too much. I thought this level of pretentiousness was reserved only for Ferrari dealers. That's certainly not the case anymore. Besides, the owner of the dealership putting himself ahead of customers should not be tolerated by PCNA. Does he own the dealership just so he can enrich his personal collection of cars? I thought the purpose of dealerships was to sell cars, not hoard allocations for the personal enrichment of the dealership's owner and family. PCNA should crack down on this stuff..... They know it is happening, yet they do nothing.

I'm not going to push it any further, as I was able to get a 991.2 GT3 allocation with no mark-up. So I'll just leave well enough alone. But still, they shouldn't make promises that they can't keep. It leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. After this new GT3, my business with Porsche will be done. Besides, I don't like turbo cars anyway and that's where it's all going.

Lastly, it is worth noting that the dealership owner recently sold his 918.... For a $800k profit.
Were you aware of the 918 buyer VIP program before this occurrence, and do you know that PCNA are aware of, and sanction this sort of behavior on behalf of this or any other dealer?

I'm not sure that this enriches the dealership in question any further than it would had they just sold these cars directly to customers with an appropriate ADM...

Even if the dealership's owner and his son not acquired 918's they would still have been obliged to offer their 2RS allocations to whoever had purchased those 918's regardless, so you
would still not have received one.

I think you are fortunate to have received a GT3 allocation, there are many that did not.

I think we all now know how to secure a GT car allocation - start a Porsche Dealership franchise!

Old 04-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,467 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by BK77
The dealer should be getting a least 1 or 2 cars outside the VIP status. Sorry to hear you got the shaft, but when any business sees a easy way to make a quick 200K+, a lot will do it. Four years ago when you gave the deposit they had no idea of what the market was going to be like, so of course they promised you a car.

I'm kind of in the same boat, "first" on the waiting list, deposit 5 years ago. currently I'm promised a September build, but nothing is for sure until its sitting in my garage.

My local Ferrari dealer only sells their "limited edition" cars to his family members, and hes very open about it. The grass is not greener...
Even premier dealers are only getting ~1-2 allocations each for the 2RS...
Old 04-04-2018, 06:28 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
If you were a regular customer at the MB dealer having purchased 6 cars over the past 10 years, do you think it is fair to you fit some guy who has never purchased from your dealer to be first to get a limited car because he placed several deposit with dealers?
I agree, but here's the interesting thing about that ...

Now that the info is out there about how many people want these cars relatively to how many are built, some good/great customers of Porsche dealerships are buying them even though they don't actually want them. I know several people who have been buying pannys, cayennes, base or TT 911s for years for their family and have no interest in GT cars as they don't track, or find them uncomfortable, or too showy, or whatever ... but because they can get them as good/great customers and essentially drive them for free, they will do it and drive them somewhat apathetically for a while and sell them either on the open market or back to the dealer for msrp, and in the process become even 'better' customers. So people who really want to enjoy these cars for what they are can't get them because good customers that don't really want them can and do. I've had people, friends of my family who know that I'm into cars, literally call me and say "I was offered a GT3 as a good customer, is it something I want?"

It's such a weird situation.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

A lot of people are using the term "limited car" and comparing it to REAL limited cars like the Pista, etc. Porsche builds tons of GT3 and GT2 cars compared to the limited versions of other brands. I understand why I cannot get a Lamborghini Veneno, and I understand why I cannot get a La Ferrari. I do not understand why I cannot get a GT3RS and GT2RS, of which thousands will be made of each.

I also do not understand what the point is of so much advertising on the aforementioned models including detailed configurators for cars that essentially cannot be bought.

You can go right now and order a 720S, Performante, 488GTB, etc etc. You can essentially not order ANY GT car from Porsche.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soulsea
I agree, but here's the interesting thing about that ...

Now that the info is out there about how many people want these cars relatively to how many are built, some good/great customers of Porsche dealerships are buying them even though they don't actually want them. I know several people who have been buying pannys, cayennes, base or TT 911s for years for their family and have no interest in GT cars as they don't track, or find them uncomfortable, or too showy, or whatever ... but because they can get them as good/great customers and essentially drive them for free, they will do it and drive them somewhat apathetically for a while and sell them either on the open market or back to the dealer for msrp, and in the process become even 'better' customers. So people who really want to enjoy these cars for what they are can't get them because good customers that don't really want them can and do. I've had people, friends of my family who know that I'm into cars, literally call me and say "I was offered a GT3 as a good customer, is it something I want?"

It's such a weird situation.
Are you suggesting there should be an interview with the customer as to how he/she will use the car before giving an allocation? That said, I understand the point you're trying to make. But what you describe is the Ferrari sales model. For years I bought Ferrari's turned them in when new models came out and essential drove the car for little to no cost. Porsche GT cars are trending toward a similar system which Porsche encourages. Having a great demand for a coveted model only enhances the brand, supports resale values for all models and generates considerable interest by the media. That is why they advertise these "limited" production models.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:55 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear - my story was similar but it was eventually sorted out. I gave them a pretrade that they made money on and are sitting on a more than $200k deposit as it sold in a week. My 2RS wont be here til Decemver. I also picked up a new Cayenne, which wasn't necessarily part of the deal but my wife liked it.

I was going to order a Panamera but don't know the 3 RS allocation yet so waiting until it is decided. If they want to give it to someone else thats fine, but would rather know the state of play before I commit to it with a lot of other car options around. Maybe a Lusso and Pista instead. It really has just become a $$ game at the moment, but fortunately there are a lot of great cars around.

​​
Old 04-04-2018, 06:57 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 512 Posts

Are you suggesting there should be an interview with the customer as to how he/she will use the car before giving an allocation?
I wasn't suggesting that at all, I believe I said I agreed with your statement ... just pointing out an interesting consequence of the 'best customer gets first dibs at GT allocations' model.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:26 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You're not alone. I think a lot of us are really tired of the games at this point and are giving up on the brand.
+1
Old 04-04-2018, 07:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
I'm not so sure about that. I think there's a bunch of guys on RL who complain and threaten to leave the brand, but only a small percentage actually does it. And for every long-time Porsche guy who does leave, there are 10-15 newbies lining up looking for GT# cars.
It's reached a tipping point. Guys like me, mooty, and trakcar aren't getting any younger. Patience and tolerance erodes with age. There are other brands and other activities to spend money and time on that value us. I've been fortunate with being able to obtain the cars that I've been able to get so far, but it wasn't without consternation, forethought, and a bit of luck. I'm tired of the game at this point.

Are you suggesting there should be an interview with the customer as to how he/she will use the car before giving an allocation?
Ford did that with the Ford GT.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soulsea
I wasn't suggesting that at all, I believe I said I agreed with your statement ... just pointing out an interesting consequence of the 'best customer gets first dibs at GT allocations' model.
NO doubt 90% of the RS allocations will be going to buyers who will not track the car. Not sure anything can or should be done about that. This much I know. If I owned a dealership, the best customers will have priority on coveted models so long as they worked with me regarding turning the car in. If there was any flipping, that would end their priority for limited models.
Additionally, I'm not sure I would take deposits or even have a list. As you can see from all the consternation about allocations, those lists are not the answer.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

[deleted
Old 04-04-2018, 07:39 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It's reached a tipping point. Guys like me, mooty, and trakcar aren't getting any younger. Patience and tolerance erodes with age. There are other brands and other activities to spend money and time on that value us. I've been fortunate with being able to obtain the cars that I've been able to get so far, but it wasn't without consternation, forethought, and a bit of luck. I'm tired of the game at this point.

Ford did that with the Ford GT.
I believe it was more about the individual rather than use. This was a once in a generation limited car production for Ford to burnish their brand. Many of the those accepted were in the media business for obvious reasons.

Quick Reply: Tale of a GT2RS Allocation