Sponsored by:

Tale of a GT2RS Allocation

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:55 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
If I owned a dealership, the best customers will have priority on coveted models so long as they worked with me regarding turning the car in. If there was any flipping, that would end their priority for limited models.
And in a lot of cases that is just a hidden ADM. I've been approached several times on trading mine in on a new one. Each time the offer was 10-15% lower what the open market would bring; and my case that includes salestax credit. If you have the money to burn so be it. Not everybody does. Dealers don't care no matter how they sugarcoat it. Its all about the $$$.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

These stories are becoming the norm here on this forum. Remember- make sure you are separating business from a true friendship. What many are learning is this is a business. They will be extremely nice and attentive to their good Customers until "mucho dinero" gets thrown in to the mix. I am in the Commodity business and even my good customers/friends will screw me for a $.01. But markets turn and you will be riding on top one day. It is such a shame. Sure - i have developed very good relations where I get last look ect but do not under estimate the power of the dollar. Money and Women bring out the worst in too many people.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
These stories are becoming the norm here on this forum. Remember- make sure you are separating business from a true friendship. What many are learning is this is a business. They will be extremely nice and attentive to their good Customers until "mucho dinero" gets thrown in to the mix. I am in the Commodity business and even my good customers/friends will screw me for a $.01. But markets turn and you will be riding on top one day. It is such a shame. Sure - i have developed very good relations where I get last look ect but do not under estimate the power of the dollar. Money and Women bring out the worst in too many people.
Jimmy, that's what most people are forgetting. The relationship must be mutually financially beneficial. No one should expect a dealer to give a coveted model to a first time buyer of the dealership especially if they are out of the area. Some dealers will do it but I suspect it has nothing to do with a list but more to do with the buyer is available.

I do not subscribe to the idea that this is all about money. If that was so, then no car would be sold without a ADM. Its relationships, relationships, relationships.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:51 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Besides, I don't like turbo cars anyway and that's where it's all going.
SO what was the point of all this then? lol
Old 04-04-2018, 10:00 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
SO what was the point of all this then? lol
Well, when it comes to a GT2, it's a different story
Old 04-04-2018, 10:25 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

There are currently 77 2016 GT3 RS's on Cars.com, of which 25 have less than 1,000 miles and 15 less than 500 miles. All are priced above $200k, 16 are above $249k, and one wildly optimistic seller is at $297k with - gasp - 1,100 miles on the odometer. Meanwhile real RS transactions at auction are in the upper 100's, interest rates are headed higher, and market volatility has jumped after years of having no pulse.

The days of the ADM game are numbered. Buyers need to chill; reality is coming. Bad dealers will get burned and/or go belly up. Good dealers that treat customers honestly and fairly will survive and get stronger. The story is as old as time.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

When reality comes to the market and interest rates climb, disposable income takes a hit and luxury goods go unsold. GT cars may be more available because fewer buyers have the income to acquire them. That may also include the deserving enthusiast. Dealers will adjust to feast or famine if they know how to manage through the business cycle, others may fold or sell out. ADMs are as old as making hay while the sun is shinning.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Four years ago, while talking to the Sales Manager of my local Porsche dealer, I told him it's only a matter of time before a new GT2 or GT2RS is released, As I am a good customer of the dealership, having bought/traded/sold GT3's, Macans, 911 Turbos, 911 S's, I asked what it would take to get allocated the GT2RS when it eventually came out. He said that the dealership was going to begin creating waiting lists for yet-to-be-released models, and taking $500 deposits from people interested in being put on the lists. I told him that I'd like to be first on the list for the GT2 or GT2RS (whichever eventually came out) and plopped over $1,000 to be "first on the list" for both models. Over the last few years, I've checked in with him regularly and was always assured that I was still "first on the list."

So last year, when the GT2RS was announced, I excitedly contacted the Sales Manager about my allocation. He ignored me and didn't return my calls or reply to my emails. When I was finally able to pin him own, he told me that the one or two GT2RS's that they anticipated to be allocated would go to 918 owners. I live in a smaller town, so our dealership is not high volume. There were only two 918's that passed through my dealer. One went to the dealership owner, and the other went to his son. As it turns out, both the dealer and his son will be getting the dealership's sole GT2RS allocations as well, and I was told that I "don't have a chance" of getting one.

Last fall when I was told this, I raised HOLY HELL and made a big stink about it. All I did is **** off the Sales Manager. But the point is, he was happy to take my deposits, and I was told for a few years that I would absolutely get an allocation.

I'm probably not the only one going through such a plight. But just thought I'd share.

Needless to say, I have an extremely dim view of Porsche and Porsche Dealers, who are playing the "good ol' boys" 918 Club game just a little too much. I thought this level of pretentiousness was reserved only for Ferrari dealers. That's certainly not the case anymore. Besides, the owner of the dealership putting himself ahead of customers should not be tolerated by PCNA. Does he own the dealership just so he can enrich his personal collection of cars? I thought the purpose of dealerships was to sell cars, not hoard allocations for the personal enrichment of the dealership's owner and family. PCNA should crack down on this stuff..... They know it is happening, yet they do nothing.

I'm not going to push it any further, as I was able to get a 991.2 GT3 allocation with no mark-up. So I'll just leave well enough alone. But still, they shouldn't make promises that they can't keep. It leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. After this new GT3, my business with Porsche will be done. Besides, I don't like turbo cars anyway and that's where it's all going.

Lastly, it is worth noting that the dealership owner recently sold his 918.... For a $800k profit.
PCNA legally cannot.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:51 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It's reached a tipping point. Guys like me, mooty, and trakcar aren't getting any younger. Patience and tolerance erodes with age. There are other brands and other activities to spend money and time on that value us. I've been fortunate with being able to obtain the cars that I've been able to get so far, but it wasn't without consternation, forethought, and a bit of luck. I'm tired of the game at this point. Ford did that with the Ford GT.
Totally agree with this sentiment. I got .2GT3 and 3.2RS allocations, but the whole thing was a miserable process. Tired of feeling people are doing me a favor by allowing me to spend $200k+ on a car. Probably bought my last Porsche at this point. At least with Ferrari, they're upfront about how their game works....

Last edited by shizzle; 04-05-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:57 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It's reached a tipping point. Guys like me, mooty, and trakcar aren't getting any younger. Patience and tolerance erodes with age. There are other brands and other activities to spend money and time on that value us. I've been fortunate with being able to obtain the cars that I've been able to get so far, but it wasn't without consternation, forethought, and a bit of luck. I'm tired of the game at this point.

Ford did that with the Ford GT.
+1

I've bought FIVE GT cars from the same dealer and the same SA. The dealer promised me a 3.2RS allocation when I picked up my 3.2 in the fall. They recently contacted me about the 3.2RS and wanted to buy my 3.2 back. I gladly accepted since I also have a 3.1RS anyhow; no big deal. My 3.2 is gone now and guess what.... My dealer and SA are suddenly very aloof with regard to the 3.2RS allocation.... Certainly disconcerting. I have to say - if the 3.2RS evaporates on me I will certainly be walking on the brand as I do not like to play games with people. I'd likely go figure out a way to get into a new 488 GTB.

- Chris.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:02 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Eilig, they only got two allocations and both went to their 918 buyers? If so, they are VIPs and are guaranteed the allocations. Those aren’t normal allocations and if they didn’t take the cars, they would go back into the PCNA pool to be divided up. Those couldn’t have been yours. It just so happens that the owner bought a 918 and qualifies as a VIP. He’s not abusing his position, he earned his VIP status taking a risk.

All that being said, they probably did get at least one additional allocation for customers if they sold two 918’s, but maybe their 911 sales suck and they didn’t.

And orthojoe, Ford did have an application process but certainly didn’t award GTs exclusively to track rats. Number one criteria was popularity. Lots of historically huge customers with Ford GTs in the garage still didn’t get cars.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:05 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
+1

I've bought FIVE GT cars from the same dealer and the same SA. The dealer promised me a 3.2RS allocation when I picked up my 3.2 in the fall. They recently contacted me about the 3.2RS and wanted to buy my 3.2 back. I gladly accepted since I also have a 3.1RS anyhow; no big deal. My 3.2 is gone now and guess what.... My dealer and SA are suddenly very aloof with regard to the 3.2RS allocation.... Certainly disconcerting. I have to say - if the 3.2RS evaporates on me I will certainly be walking on the brand as I do not like to play games with people. I'd likely go figure out a way to get into a new 488 GTB.

- Chris.
THAT is terrible!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:18 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

dealers basically got 1 GT2RS allocation per 13-15 911's they sold annually as a share of nation. So, the massive 1000 unit stores that sell 150 911's a year got over 10.

my store has only been awarded one GT2RS allocation because during the evaluation process we had only sold 16 911's in a rolling 12 month period. so, I got aggressive with trades etc and now we are on pace for 50+ this year. lets see if it holds up but I have a list 15 people long (didn't take deposits on it, just told people where they were on the list) and the top guy got one. everyone else is waiting, including me. I'm #3 on my own list. I did not buy a 918, so I'm only a little vip. not a VIP.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:19 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
+1

- Chris.
that has happened to LAF buyers...trade your enzo back in, for 500k or more BELOW market...imagine how that goes.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:26 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Last edited by Hams955; 04-04-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Tale of a GT2RS Allocation