Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:25 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

I took a December build over a July build to get the WP and possibly PTS because I think it's one of those things Porsche does that makes a car extra special. Cost makes no sense with this or PTS or CXX options. It's worth it to you or it's not. But how many 918 buyers regretted the WP, or 997 2RS buyers regret the carbon fenders? I also struggle a bit with the appearance and have been racking my brain to come up with a PTS color that would suit an RS with WP. Irish green maybe but would be better on a Touring.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:47 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
I took a December build over a July build to get the WP and possibly PTS because I think it's one of those things Porsche does that makes a car extra special. Cost makes no sense with this or PTS or CXX options. It's worth it to you or it's not. But how many 918 buyers regretted the WP, or 997 2RS buyers regret the carbon fenders? I also struggle a bit with the appearance and have been racking my brain to come up with a PTS color that would suit an RS with WP. Irish green maybe but would be better on a Touring.
When did you change to the WP option? I wonder what the percentage of WP specced 3RSs will turn out to be.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:33 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I would be tempted to take the non-WP sooner. Are people favoring WP for its appearance with exposed carbon or for the performance/weight savings?

As far as I see, in the US the Weissach package gets 11.7 pounds of its total 13.4 pounds of weight savings from the swaybars. I would think those could be easily added later (as well as the Mag wheels from BBS), if desired. Don't think the other 1.7 pounds will be felt
Given that I do not have 10% of Kevin Estre’s driving talent, coupled with the fact that I do not like the look of the WP package, I opted to configure my car without it. I am also deleting the side graphics. The car is already gaudy, and I have no desire to make it even more so. The best news is that I can get the car in September, vs. dealing with WP and PTS delays.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,901 Likes on 4,823 Posts

Originally Posted by Brosef
FYI, I remember when the e92 M3 came out. It had the option of either a carbon fiber roof (for the coupe) or a steel roof with sunroof. the CF roof saved 40+ lbs and supposedly lowered the center of gravity by a full inch. despite that, no performance tests were ever able to measure any difference in how the vehicles performed (acceleration, handling, etc.).
Just like how there are no test comparing the same car with iron rotors versus ceramic rotors.

Odd, isn't it?
Old 06-16-2018, 02:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3

Given that I do not have 10% of Kevin Estre’s driving talent, coupled with the fact that I do not like the look of the WP package, I opted to configure my car without it. I am also deleting the side graphics. The car is already gaudy, and I have no desire to make it even more so. The best news is that I can get the car in September, vs. dealing with WP and PTS delays.
Prefer the non WP look, I don't trust the CF sway bars and links personally but also its a lot of $$ per lb. You can do better with just 19" aftermarket wheels and muffler delete.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Just like how there are no test comparing the same car with iron rotors versus ceramic rotors.

Odd, isn't it?
Agreed!!
I tested them back to back, although I can barely feel it (But perhaps the difference is much more noticeable when going from CCB to back to steel) back to back I looked at data and came to my own conclusion that pure the performance increase in terms of feel, less heat transfer to the tires and better consistency, along with the un sprung weight savings, CCB's bought me 0.5seconds a lap at Sebring.

my 0.02C FWIW.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Given the threat of tariffs maybe getting the 3RS earlier rather than later is a consideration; DK.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch2018
Given the threat of tariffs maybe getting the 3RS earlier rather than later is a consideration; DK.
There's also the particle filter issue, but not sure if that's any concern for a US-spec car...
Old 06-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Prefer the non WP look, I don't trust the CF sway bars and links personally but also its a lot of $$ per lb. You can do better with just 19" aftermarket wheels and muffler delete.Agreed!!
I tested them back to back, although I can barely feel it (But perhaps the difference is much more noticeable when going from CCB to back to steel) back to back I looked at data and came to my own conclusion that pure the performance increase in terms of feel, less heat transfer to the tires and better consistency, along with the un sprung weight savings, CCB's bought me 0.5seconds a lap at Sebring.

my 0.02C FWIW.
If I were u and planned to turn it into 99% track weapon, it would be a 0-option spec. My purpose is to track it a handful of times just to experience it (I'd honestly rather rent the stuff I track) and then trade it in for the next thing. And just to check the box, I wanna see it in WP. If i fall in love, I'll keep it as a street car. I think there's a low probability that happens. I haven't kept a car I've owned beyond 2011 (997-4.0). And I don't continue to track any of the stuff that's in the perma-collection; MAYBE once in blue moon but doubtful. Again, I'd rather rent someone else's stuff and if I wad it into a ball, so be it (as long I I walk away ok!).
Old 06-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
There's also the particle filter issue, but not sure if that's any concern for a US-spec car...
The GPF is not an issue for US-specced cars but tariffs are a real concern. As we all know, President Trump was able to rapidly impose a tariff on Aluminum and Steel by invoking section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962 which permits the US to impose tariffs for national security reasons.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/comp...ope-15574.html
Old 06-16-2018, 07:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
If I were u and planned to turn it into 99% track weapon, it would be a 0-option spec. My purpose is to track it a handful of times just to experience it (I'd honestly rather rent the stuff I track) and then trade it in for the next thing. And just to check the box, I wanna see it in WP. If i fall in love, I'll keep it as a street car. I think there's a low probability that happens. I haven't kept a car I've owned beyond 2011 (997-4.0). And I don't continue to track any of the stuff that's in the perma-collection; MAYBE once in blue moon but doubtful. Again, I'd rather rent someone else's stuff and if I wad it into a ball, so be it (as long I I walk away ok!).
My 3.8 was no option and my 4.0 was zero option radio delete.
if I can get an RS it will be just like mine is now, color and leather option, that’s it.
i drive them on the street about half the time as well.

the 997’s were DD. I’ve driven Purple around the last 3 weeks..

Old 06-16-2018, 08:12 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Prefer the non WP look, I don't trust the CF sway bars and links personally but also its a lot of $$ per lb. You can do better with just 19" aftermarket wheels and muffler delete.
I totally understand where you are coming from and I'll be a guinea pig for sure. But they are under warranty and mag wheels and muffler delete are easy additions on top of the WP! I'll have to come down to sebring in January so you can take the Pepsi challenge....
Old 06-16-2018, 10:22 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 688 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3

I share your sentiments. I can’t get past the appearance of a black hood & roof, or the design of the mag wheels. I took an early build and ordered mine without WP - also debated deleting the side graphics. I opted to keep them because I think they balance out the larger side intakes as well as accentuating the rake of the car. Worst case I can peel them off.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:00 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race7117
I totally understand where you are coming from and I'll be a guinea pig for sure. But they are under warranty and mag wheels and muffler delete are easy additions on top of the WP! I'll have to come down to sebring in January so you can take the Pepsi challenge....
That sounds like a plan.
Be glad to help you make that happen and assist locally, so let me know..

But first I fly to Denver Wednesday for Pikes Peak
i need to figure out how to revalve my shocks to match the .2RS. Then all that different is the RWS and Diff.
But my whole tub is probably a noodle by now..

Old 06-17-2018, 01:03 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

If I remember correctly, Preuninger said in one of the first GT3RS.1 videos, that Magnesium roof is even more lighter than carbon, hence they have done it.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:06 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 973 Likes on 431 Posts

I went with WP and Lizard, but left off the decals on the sides. Cleaned up the look a little in my opinion. Can't wait to see it, 3 months until Euro Delivery!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS