Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Wing or Not to Wing, That is the Question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 01:56 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts
Default To Wing or Not to Wing, That is the Question.

I know this topic has been discussed in several threads (I have read them all and appreciate your insight) but here is my situation:

I am vacillating on my 991.2 GT3 build on the configurator because I cannot decide on whether to go with the wing or with the Touring edition. I am currently leasing a 991.1 GTS PDK cab which I plan on buying at the end of the lease. It will remain my DD. I am single, no kids and live in So Cal. I have no plans on tracking the GT3. I enjoy spirited mountain driving and weekend road trips up and down the coast.

On the interior, I prefer leather to alcantara which feels weird to me. I have the full leather interior and 4 ways in my GTS and I love it. I have not yet sat in LWBs but I would almost definitely get them if I got the wing but I would lean toward 4 ways if I got the Touring (so I could fold the seats forward and get golf clubs in the back). I think sofas make sense in a "Carrera-like" build and LWBs in the "race car-like" GT3. Advantage: Touring (by a whisker)

On the exterior, I think the wing looks great while the Touring looks (body-wise) just a little bit more sporty than my GTS. I saw a 991.1 GT3 on my drive home from work today and it made my heart rate go up - it looked amazing. I am also interested in getting a PTS color (if I am lucky enough to get a PTS allotment). That is not an option on the Touring. Advantage: Wing

A wildcard in the equation is the classic manual versus PDK debate. Sorry - I went there. I have every intention of going manual because I already have a PDK and it would be nice to have one of each. On the other hand, if I got a PDK GT3, I would be more likely to daily drive it as I find the PDK perfect for LA's miserable stop and go traffic. PDK is not an option in the Touring. Advantage: Wing

I know that at the end of the day, this is a very personal decision but I bet you guys and gals can provide some insight to help me see things from a different perspective. Thanks for your input!
Old 09-23-2017, 02:57 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Nomen Omen
no wing in your case
Old 09-23-2017, 04:16 AM
JP Manor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand why the wing is such a huge issue. (yes I started a parody thread today regarding it)

IMO unless you're a serious track driver who is skilled enough to benefit from the wing, the ONLY thing to consider is whether you want to row or not.

I'm not a frequent track driver, so the fastest PDK in the world could not take the place of the feeling of 3 pedals and a stick in a 500hp NA GT3. I've owned 3 911's, (all 997's) and have been without one for almost a year because I couldn't convince myself that a manual 991 GTS would satisfy me in the long run.. But the day I heard that the touring option was confirmed, I contacted my dealer and put down a deposit.

There are so many Porsche's to choose from, and although I really enjoyed my last 6 speed turbo, I always walked out of the car feeling underwhelmed. I put a 7k exhaust on it just to make it sound and feel like a Porsche should, but it didn't.

The 991.2 GT3 touring is the car I've been craving for years, and I think I speak for a LOT of others here when I say that..And it has nothing to do with the wing, and everything to do with the gearbox.

Edit: I live in L.A. too and deal with the miserable traffic every day (and horrible drivers on their phones). Which is why I drive a plush but not fancy SUV to work every day and save the fun for the early mornings on the weekends.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Manor
The 991.2 GT3 touring is the car I've been craving for years, and I think I speak for a LOT of others here when I say that..And it has nothing to do with the wing, and everything to do with the gearbox.
I thought the regular 991.2 GT3 had the same manual available that's in the touring. If that's the case I don't understand why the touring has everything to do with the gearbox and not anything with the wing.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:43 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

I'd want to make it differ from the gts that you already have.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Real Porsche's have wings. GT 3 cars are to go fast thus PDK.

You already have a car with no wing, why have two look alike but are different underneath? Go for the Win(G)!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:52 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

m u s t h a v e w i n g

(please disregard that other yellow "poser car" with no wing )
Old 09-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Here, I'll make it easy for you, and using your own words, too.

"On the interior, ...........Advantage: Touring (by a whisker)"

"On the exterior,.......... Advantage: Wing"

"A wildcard in the equation is the classic manual versus PDK debate. ....... Advantage: Wing"

" Thanks for your input!"

Actually it is YOUR input, just clarifying it for you. Out of the 3 factors that are important to you, the wing definitely wins 2, touring wins only one and by a whisker. Do I still need to point out the obvious?

Plus, as the others say, the wing will give a distinct visual counterpoint to your GTS.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

a GT3 must have wing.
i drive my cars.
i need a diaper changing table, a cheese and wine cutting board, a dining table for my american grease breakfast and if the girl is pretty i need a small bed ....

a GT3 with out wing... well....that's great too.
but you need to buy two GT3 then, a real one and a wingless one.

just a mad man's opinion of course

some one good with search pls find that famous pic i posted with my kid on the board.... erh.. wing
Old 09-23-2017, 02:13 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Last edited by FORENN; 05-02-2019 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Thanks for the everyone's input. I have decided to wing it, so to speak. Here is my Porsche code: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBCD3U9 - always happy to hear your thoughts on the build. I made changes to my GTS configuration on your suggestion and I am glad that I did. BTW, the configurator shows the car as viper green in 2D and Riveria/Mexico blue in 3D. It is a PTS configuration - if I get a PTS allotment, my current plan is gulf blue or perhaps light ivory. Thanks as always for your insight!
Old 09-24-2017, 06:42 AM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Thanks for the everyone's input. I have decided to wing it, so to speak. Here is my Porsche code: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBCD3U9 - always happy to hear your thoughts on the build. I made changes to my GTS configuration on your suggestion and I am glad that I did. BTW, the configurator shows the car as viper green in 2D and Riveria/Mexico blue in 3D. It is a PTS configuration - if I get a PTS allotment, my current plan is gulf blue or perhaps light ivory. Thanks as always for your insight!

Really Nice build, with all your leather options I would add the steering column and also home linking you have a gate or garage door.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:42 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
m u s t h a v e w i n g

(please disregard that other yellow "poser car" with no wing )
ooooooh....good taste in wings and wine!

I sense a wing wine competition fermenting.

Persaonally, I am a Burgundy man.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2017, 09:49 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Whilst possible to put wings on the behind... not that practical really. Just because you can doest make it right
Old 09-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
I'd want to make it differ from the gts that you already have.
^^^ THIS!!!

Quick Reply: To Wing or Not to Wing, That is the Question.