Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 steering adjustment broken

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 03:10 AM
losblancos
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1thomas
I didn't take anything off, I just smacked the lever a few times in a way to cause maximum vibration and I seem to have got lucky.

Thanks to the posts on here indicating using a mallet, when my 2007 Cayman S 987's column stopped locking in the up-down location and was just floppy, after fidgiting with it for 15 minutes in the dark, I thought maybe if I could just cause enough vibration, the sticking parts would slip back into place.
Instead of slowly, firmly, or gently working the release/adust lever, I just whacked / thwapped in an effort to cause maximum vibration. It took about 3-6 fast, (but not superman-strength), thwaks and I heard a click and it locked again. (It was definitely the vibration, and not the force or strength that allowed it to snap back). I may have been moving the wheel up and down at the same time, I can't remember.
Perhaps worthy of note, mine would still lock the telescoping action, just not the up and down before the smacking.

Hopefully it remains locked, and I'll try to remember to NEVER mess with it again
I'd definitely recommend trying this technique before pulling stuff off.
I'm having this exactly problem with my new-to-me 2007 Boxster. Seems that the mechanism hadn't been unlocked for years, and now while I can lock the the telecoping action, I can't get it to stop tilting. Sounds like gently taking a mallet or similar to the bottom of the column (at the areas shown in @PowerFlower 's post #27 above) might be the first step to try, along with a white lithium lubricant?

Last edited by losblancos; 01-22-2021 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:32 PM
losblancos
Advanced

So, I've been tackling this issue (lubricant and tapping with a hammer did nothing) and wanted to post some pictures in case it's helpful for anyone else. @MRWDXB has covered much if not all of this but you have to go to his Instagram to find his excellent overview (I had to borrow a phone as I don't have instagram on mine).

The mechanism is actually quite simple. When locked, the cone-shaped parts of the mechanism (depicted from the bottom side looking up in other posts above) slide forward (ie toward the front of the car) to raise the metal insets shown below -- the deeper one locks the tilting mechanism and the other locks the telescoping mechanism.

Removing the assembly is very very simple. It simple slides right off if you carefully remove the end nut (10mm) and the four T30 screws that bolt it on to the rest of the column. (By far the worst part of all of this was taking apart the lower dash.)

With mine, the portion that locks the telescoping function was fine but the tilting 'cone' was stuck in place, recessed back into the housing. All you have to do is use something to push it forward from the aft (steering wheel) side of the 'tube' and then lubricate. I tried to capture this in the photo below but it's difficult to see.

Be careful -- I used too wide a screwdriver and got it stuck, braking a plastic collar/tube inside (so I'm going to have to source a replacement column and take the adjuster off of it).

Last edited by losblancos; 01-24-2021 at 09:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MRWDXB (01-25-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 11:40 AM
lexnat187
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same problem as others over here in Dubai with the steering column adjuster not locking the vertical movement. I've removed the housing but it looks like the vertical locking part has moved past the spring closest to the steering wheel side.
has anyone removed this spring and cone?
It looks like there is supposed to be a larger part that the spring sits against but I can't find any images to confirm.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:09 PM
losblancos
Advanced

That looks fine from what I can see. You probably need to (carefully) push the mechanism forward and lubricate. Refer to my post and the instagram posts.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:51 PM
lexnat187
5th Gear

Thanks, I'll keep working it back and forth and see if it frees up more. I can get it fully into the forward position but won't retract without a lot of force.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:01 AM
MRWDXB
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnat187
Thanks, I'll keep working it back and forth and see if it frees up more. I can get it fully into the forward position but won't retract without a lot of force.
try taking a look at this link, it might help https://www.instagram.com/p/CBtJv5Bn...d=mq4yylktlydb
Old 04-17-2021, 03:14 AM
lexnat187
5th Gear

Originally Posted by MRWDXB
try taking a look at this link, it might help https://www.instagram.com/p/CBtJv5Bn...d=mq4yylktlydb
Thanks, I had found your videos, that's what prompted me to take the unit off the steering column instead of trying to shock it loose.

it eventually sprung mostly loose this morning after a good soaking in lubricant and working it with a screwdriver through the center.

Great job on the restoration by the way.
MRWDXB (04-17-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 09:18 AM
lexnat187
5th Gear

Thanks everyone. Job is now finished, one thing I noticed is that it's very easy to overtighten the plastic locking nut at the end of the long spine connected to the adjuster handle.
Be careful at that last stage and test how easy it is to move the handle from locked to unlocked. It should feel smooth when unlocking, if not then loosen that final nut, it makes a big difference.

EDITED- corrected shouldn't to should

Last edited by lexnat187; 04-17-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnat187
It shouldn't feel smooth when unlocking, if not then loosen that final nut, it makes a big difference.
should or shouldn't?
Old 04-17-2021, 01:44 PM
lexnat187
5th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
should or shouldn't?
Ah, autocorrect error there.
It should feel smooth locking and unlocking. If it feels like you about to snap plastic as you unlock the handle, then it's too tight.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:10 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 169 Posts

Just an update
had the same problem on my GT3
Dealer recommended new steering column; WD40 and a Hammer did the trick, that's how rennlist saves big bucks!
Thanks guys
The following 3 users liked this post by Holger3.2:
Chris MI 987 (10-11-2021), PowerFlower (07-28-2021), Snakebit (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 11:31 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

asking a dealer if you need an expensive part is like asking a jeweler if your wife's diamond ring is big enough...

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 07-28-2021 at 11:33 AM.
jonwb (07-28-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 03:03 PM
pold9000
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My lever is broken.
It was closed - so the steering is fixed in the last position.
Have someone a picture of the lever, and how do you change the lever?
see attached picture of my steering column.

i dont want that the steering get loose in an dangerous situation, so a pic of the whole lever include the rod

you see the broken lever and the rod

Bye Wolfgang
Old 10-10-2021, 12:35 PM
RPL
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerFlower
Had a long look with a torch to see what's wrong with the mechanism, but couldn't find anything that is broken. So either that's inside the mechanism, and needs wholesale replacement, or...

...I noticed the 1 thing different on mine, than on the dozens of used part photos I've been examining: the black piece in the middle, between the two springs, is in a different position on mine: it's more towards the big spring.

My theory now is that it's supposed to "jump out" towards the outer end (where the small spring is, and where there's thread visible on the "stopper" that I've also not seen on other pics), and that locks the mechanism.

So, getting new WD40 and then back to the car and hopefully fixing it. Fingers crossed
hey man, this helped me out today. Saved my Sunday. Thanks for being so detailed with your post.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:49 AM
Chris MI 987
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger3.2
Just an update
had the same problem on my GT3
Dealer recommended new steering column; WD40 and a Hammer did the trick, that's how rennlist saves big bucks!
Thanks guys
Simple, quick fixes to these highly engineered machines always make me chuckle. I just fixed the tensioner straps on both sides of my convertible top with $3 of elastic from the craft store and a stapler. My mechanic wanted $325 to replace them.

Quick Reply: 987 steering adjustment broken