Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 steering adjustment broken

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 01:57 AM
MRWDXB
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

@nhoque Sounds like it's a local problem . Ref the plastic nut, I suspect it's plastic so that it breaks easily to avoid breaking the rod that runs from the handle to the nut (just a guess).

If it was me, I would go to a garage or fabrication yard and ask them to make you a new nut. Luckily it's tucked away, out of sight.so it doesn't matter what it looks like. To that end, it might be easier for a fabricator to make a wingnut rather than hexnut.

Suitable materials for this might be nylon or polypropylene. Remember, the nut should be weak enough to break under pressure but strong enough for day to day use. If you have the old one, show it to the fabricator so they can use the same materials and make it the same thickness.

For the fabricator to do this, all they need to do is make a suitable sized wing nut shape. A flat, thin rectangle will be fine. Once you have that, drill a hole where you want the thread to be. Tap a thread into the hole with a tap (tap and die set). This can be a little fiddly but plenty of youtube videos for guidance. If the guy knows what they're doing and has the tools and materials to hand, this should be 10 min job. I couldn't find any perfect videos on youtube but there are two below that will give you a good idea.

The following users liked this post:
nhoque (06-28-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 06:36 PM
Megaris70
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had same problem. I solved it by spraying wd40, then tightened the nut at end of shaft with springs all the way down. That put enough pressure to dislodge plastic cup. When working lever. Sprayed some more wd40 while working the lever. Then I backed out nut to previous location so it can travel enough to lock wheel in. No banging neccesary!
The following 2 users liked this post by Megaris70:
MRWDXB (06-28-2020), nhoque (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 03:09 PM
nhoque
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks MRWDXB, really helpful explanation & videos. I'll try that when I can go somewhere without needing a permit or risking my life! Keen to avoid replacing the steering column.
RB (11-11-2023)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:09 AM
MRWDXB
Track Day

More than welcome @nhoque , good luck and let us know on the thread how you get on
Old 09-04-2020, 12:08 PM
Bseries
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhoque
Thanks MRWDXB, really helpful explanation & videos. I'll try that when I can go somewhere without needing a permit or risking my life! Keen to avoid replacing the steering column.
Hi nhoque,
did you fix your problem? Just got the same issue with the steering column not locking and I live in Dubai...
Any ideas where I could get it fixed in Dubai? Thanks a lot?

Last edited by Bseries; 09-04-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:13 PM
MRWDXB
Track Day

Originally Posted by Bseries
Hi nhoque,
did you fix your problem? Just got the same issue with the steering column not locking and I live in Dubai...
Try Alex at K-Office Automotive in Al Quoz 050 651 1302‬. He has got a great shop and is very reliable.

This is a fairly niche issue, a lot of garages will just recommend replacing the whole unit. They’re just down the road from me so I can’t talk them through it if they haven’t done this job before.

I’ll be up there in the next week or so anyway as he’s resprayed my 997.1. We’re just waiting for the new bumper to arrive

Old 09-05-2020, 01:29 AM
Bseries
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MRWDXB
Try Alex at K-Office Automotive in Al Quoz 050 651 1302‬. He has got a great shop and is very reliable.

This is a fairly niche issue, a lot of garages will just recommend replacing the whole unit. They’re just down the road from me so I can’t talk them through it if they haven’t done this job before.

I’ll be up there in the next week or so anyway as he’s resprayed my 997.1. We’re just waiting for the new bumper to arrive

thanks a lot!
I will go there today and see if he think he can fix it. I’ll keep you posted.
Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:11 AM
nhoque
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bseries
Hi nhoque,
Hi Bseries, I didn’t get it fixed. I got JAS to lock it in place so it doesn’t telescope but I can’t adjust. As MRDXB said, I couldn’t find anyone who could actually fix it rather than replacing the whole column.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:47 PM
MRWDXB
Track Day

Originally Posted by nhoque
Hi Bseries, I didn’t get it fixed. I got JAS to lock it in place so it doesn’t telescope but I can’t adjust. As MRDXB said, I couldn’t find anyone who could actually fix it rather than replacing the whole column.
It’s an easy fix and I’m happy to help you if you’re in the UAE, just let me know. You can contact me on Instagram @project997.14s
Old 10-19-2020, 10:57 AM
Shoemaker
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by PowerFlower
Glad to have been of help! This is why it's important to always follow up and post what turned out to be the solution
A little late to the conversation, however I need your help sir!

Same has happened this week on my old 987 in Dubai (no less!) and the garage is quoting me 7000aed! Shock, the entire column would need replacing.

Any advice would be appreciated please, thanks.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:58 PM
MRWDXB
Track Day

Originally Posted by Shoemaker

Same has happened this week on my old 987 in Dubai (no less!) and the garage is quoting me 7000aed! Shock, the entire column would need replacing.

best bet is to go to K Office autos in Al Quoz. I’ve explained to them how to do it. It’s very simple and shouldn’t take them more than an hour.

it’s also worth reading this thread as I’ve tried to detail it as much as possible. I’ve also documented it on my Instagram @porsche997.14s
Old 10-19-2020, 02:02 PM
MRWDXB
Track Day

Originally Posted by Shoemaker

koffice location is K-office automotive Mr. Cars Auto Maintenance
Al QuozAl Quoz Industrial Area 3 - Dubai
04 340 7332
https://goo.gl/maps/XmCE6NzrSxMATM5v6
Shoemaker (10-20-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 09:46 PM
Synchcord
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting to see the development of this thread

It has been quite awhile since I have posted on here. The best solution would have been to replace my steering column. Porsche dealers will not “repair”, they replace with new parts that carry a 2 year warranty. That is great but carries a steep financial penalty. My car is nearly 21 years old. Runs and rides great. I do most work myself. I had to have the steering lock mechanism replaced at the dealer before discovering the telescope lock problem. The lock mechanism was re-engineered by Porsche for the boxster. Glad I had them tackle that. Steering column fix I did myself still works! Now if I could solve my pesky vacuum leak problem. Throwing codes 1128 & 1130. I bought a smoke machine and find nothing. Put in a new MAF sensor and replaced my AOS, cleaned the throttle body—no luck. The darn thing still runs awsome though. The CEL will irritate me at night though.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:25 AM
Shoemaker
2nd Gear

Thank you!
Old 10-28-2020, 02:48 AM
1thomas
1st Gear

Default before removing anything, try just thwacking the adjustment lever.

I didn't take anything off, I just smacked the lever a few times in a way to cause maximum vibration and I seem to have got lucky.

Thanks to the posts on here indicating using a mallet, when my 2007 Cayman S 987's column stopped locking in the up-down location and was just floppy, after fidgiting with it for 15 minutes in the dark, I thought maybe if I could just cause enough vibration, the sticking parts would slip back into place.
Instead of slowly, firmly, or gently working the release/adust lever, I just whacked / thwapped in an effort to cause maximum vibration. It took about 3-6 fast, (but not superman-strength), thwaks and I heard a click and it locked again. (It was definitely the vibration, and not the force or strength that allowed it to snap back). I may have been moving the wheel up and down at the same time, I can't remember.
Perhaps worthy of note, mine would still lock the telescoping action, just not the up and down before the smacking.

Hopefully it remains locked, and I'll try to remember to NEVER mess with it again
I'd definitely recommend trying this technique before pulling stuff off.

Quick Reply: 987 steering adjustment broken