Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help getting excited about my Spyder!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 03:43 PM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help getting excited about my Spyder!

I bought my Spyder on a whim back in March. I was in the market for an R8 and my buddy (proud owner of a new GT4) recommended that I test drive the Spyder.

I was impressed enough to buy it the day after the test drive but haven't quite fully appreciated the car yet.

My buddy has convinced me to break the car in properly and I have been religious about keeping the RPMs under 4200.

I only drive my car once per week (date night with my wife or quick drive along the California coast) so after 5 months of ownership I am a little halfway (1100 miles) to the breaking in period.

So when I drive the car, I do love the power and the handling. Obviously, I am not pushing it though. I am not as enthused as some people about the exhaust pitch, even in sport mode (which I am disappointed it isn't the default when you hop in). I tend to like a deeper, guttural sound.

Anyhow, are there others out there that have shared the same experience? I suspect not. My GT4 buddy told me to be patient and when I hear the engine at higher RPMs, it may change my experience.

Thanks (new to Rennlist)

Last edited by DiabloBlanco; 07-26-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

I can't imagine a much more guttural sound under acceleration than the Spyder. I think it sounds a bit too guttural myself, but still love it.

BTW, you DO NOT NEED TO BABY THE CAR. Once it is warmed up, you can run it above 4,200. Just don't drive it like a race car. The danger is not RPMs, it is excessive engine heat. And you won't create it simply by revving the car out to 6,000 rpms once in a while. Porsche's engineers have said as much. I can't imagine driving a car under 4,000rpms for 2,000 miles.

I love this car, but I reallllly loved it the first time I drove it really hard on an empty road in the mountains. Made me laugh out loud. The car is so quick, handles so well, so much grip, steering is so precise, gearbox is fantastic. And that glorious sound.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:17 PM
Potsnu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah yes, breaking in a new engine is going to garner poloarizing opinions similiar to the fabled early first oil change.

Here is what I've always done, so ultimately the choice is yours.

First off, ask yourself if you are going to keep your car long enough for tangible benefits to be measured if you broke in the car by the manual or if you drove it hard from Day 1?

I like to gradually break in my car. It might look something like this:

0 to 200 miles: 4500 rpm
200 to 400 miles: 5000 rpm
400 to 600 miles: 5500 rpm

Every drive, I will take the car to the self imposed RPM limit on a WOT pull. By the time I hit the break in recommended miles, I would have brought the car close to the redline. I prefer this method of gradually breaking in the car.

You also have others on the complete polar opposite who beat the crap out of the car after they got it. Some people take it to the track, some people do it on the Europen Delivery. Again, I don't think most people will keep the cars long enough to see any discernible difference in the longetivity of the vehicle.

Your exhaust will sound better as you put more miles on the car. I will say at around 3500 to 4000 miles, your exhaust will sound even better. My only gripe with the 981 is the long gears. The car sounds amazing at higher RPMs, but quite honestly I am breaking every single speed limit in the country by the time I top out 2nd gear......If it was only a matter of a speeding ticket, I would take the risk. But over here, your car gets towed and impounded for 7 days. Fines up to $10,000. Makes it hard to enjoy the amazing engine notes at higher RPMs with such long gears...
Old 07-26-2016, 04:36 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Picked my Spyder up ten days ago. Managed to put 500 miles on it and have kept the revs below 4000 thus far. I tend to progressively take the revs higher as the car breaks in. As you mention the car is sensational. Very impressed with the ride/handling compromise. Nice motor and good noise. Not quite the same as my RS with the Metzger and Sharky bypass but about 1000 times more civilized. Like the RS the Spyder is a keeper.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:57 PM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

Thanks for the input. Since I'm so close to the 2000 mile mark, I'll stick to the current plan.....perhaps, modifying a little to get more out of the car.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:04 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Potsnu
............... My only gripe with the 981 is the long gears. The car sounds amazing at higher RPMs, but quite honestly I am breaking every single speed limit in the country by the time I top out 2nd gear......If it was only a matter of a speeding ticket, I would take the risk. But over here, your car gets towed and impounded for 7 days. Fines up to $10,000. Makes it hard to enjoy the amazing engine notes at higher RPMs with such long gears...
To me, this is the most depressing thing!! It just kills me! The car, as a package, is just incredible. Such a fun experience, every single time. However, goddamn gearing ruins the party! Porsche totally screwed us all! :-( It really pisses me off!

DiabloBlanco: You need to drive more! You probably have too many vehicles in your stable. As others pointed out, it gets better more you drive. But then, it might be possible for someone not to get excited about the Spyder, though rare! If you can't get excited about the car on your own, it might become a drag! Only way forward is to drive more! And, welcome to the forum! :-)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 PM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

Unfortunately, I don't have a stable of cars (not like some on the forum). I do drive my electric car to/from work and find myself using either the SUV or electric car to take the kids around during the weekend....so you see my driving dilemma now?

I'm sure it's going to grow on me. It is the most fantastic car I've ever owned so my griping is probably overdone.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:04 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's worth the wait. I did the 2000 mile break in as well and it was indeed hard to bear. At 3500 miles now and nothing puts a smile on my face like revving this car.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:06 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

My SA told me I didn't have to baby the car so I ran it to red line now and then starting at day 1, with the only provision being that the engine temp was not cold. I echo the effusive praise of this car as expressed by others in this thread. Every drive puts a smile on my face and a renewed commitment to the gym so that I never have to sell the car in old age. :-)
Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Little blue pill?
Old 07-26-2016, 08:34 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

wait. i'm a little stunned. you drove it, presumably with the top down, along the california coast and it sounds like you're underwhelmed.

i definitely think you should do the exact same thing now that you're at 1100, but take it close to redline. if you're not totally in love with the car after that, this definitely isn't the car for you. you have the dream conditions for a drive in a spyder.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I was **** about sticking to the break-in regimen. Ok . . . maybe a couple of times I ran up to 5000, but for 99.9% of the time I never went above 4200. Still, even during break-in I could not wipe the smile off my face. I kept telling myself, "If you're having this much fun in the low rev range, just think what it will be like when you can really put your foot in it!" Even when I was gingerly driving home after first taking delivery from the dealer I knew I was riding in something special.

I guess it's all relative and, in part, based on what cars you've previously owned and currently own, but it could be the car just isn't your thing - - and that's perfectly fine. If you don't feel it, you don't feel it.

I do hope it grows on you and as others have suggested perhaps more seat time is in order. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2016, 09:46 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 591 Posts

I stuck to the break in on my previous 996 GT3 but it wasn' t easy- remember hitting 2K and IMMEDIATELY downshifting and blasting thru the gears.
Still at just under 1K miles on the Spyder, and have gone close to 6K a couple times... doubt I'll make it to 2k before I start to exercise it a little more.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:48 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 844 Likes on 387 Posts

I've got a pretty long driveway, so i kept the revs low till the end. Break in was finished after that.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:29 AM
kskpsu
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

As stated by others, don't let lawyers and inconsistent, global break-in guidance influence your mechanical judgement. It's about engine/oil temps...get them up, and have at it if you are so inclined. I showed general restraint to 1000 miles, I refuse to moving forward.

Quick Reply: Help getting excited about my Spyder!