Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help getting excited about my Spyder!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:14 PM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool. keep me posted. August is a crazy month with weddings and other activities but let's see if I can make it work!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
........... I'll never understand why people are so concerned about how fast a car goes at redline in 2nd or 3rd gear. If you had a car with shorter gearing, would you honestly be bouncing it off the rev limiter all day on the street?
Funny you ask! I actually do! Here is the first four gearing of S2000:
1st: 38 mph
2nd: 56
3rd: 78
4th: 100

I almost always shift at/near redline "most" of the times! Granted, S2000 lacks torque. Power peaks near redline. So, you got to rev it. For the street, at legal speeds, and if you like shifting a lot, S2000 trumps Spyder. No, I am not downplaying Spyder. I love it; will never sell it. And, the S2000 will stay with me for good as well!
Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I already tracked my Spyder at Road Atlanta in 100 degree fahrenheit temps and my car had 1500 miles. Car is a beast. Could it use more power? SURE! haha but that's what aftermarket mods are for. But let me tell you I was showing an indicated 140 mph in the back straight. A Z06 with a Z07 package was doing 150 mph in the hands of a race driver. Sure it was in max attack aero and all that but also I was short shifting as the conditions were so hot. Shifted at 5-6k when there was more left and also I was braking much earlier to be easy on the brakes and the car. Phenomenal machine. I drove an R8 V10 Spyder and it was nowhere near as much fun as the Porsche Spyder.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

from a handling perspective, aside from needing more steering feel, it is practically perfect. From an engine perspective, the top end needs to breath better.. which is achieved fantastically with the plenum and tb and headers.

Look, everyone thinks their car is "special".. we get super subjective about our own, so here I go saying something I'll get skewered for. Having driven a few $1M+ hyper cars even on track (Road Atlanta and AMP).. I can honestly say, that I would take this over a 918 Spyder.. maybe not the p1.. but from a fun perspective, 981 plays 918 for me. This car plays way way out of it's league.. probably same way the gt4 does.. but without a roof and with that gorgeous profile, your driving enjoyment is through the roof (no pun)
Old 07-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm going to be organizing a drive in the coming weeks with a bunch of their Spyder owners both old and new and I'll send you a pm. I have a great route which starts in Temecula and ends near route 76 and I15. I would recommend carving out at least 6 hours if your coming from LA or OC.
I can vouch for the roads Afshin speaks of -- just fantastic twisties with variable elevation changes, switchbacks, decreasing radius turns, and off-camber stuff thrown in for good measure. Great stuff! Looking forward to this meet-up, something So Cal Spyder owners shouldn't miss.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Funny you ask! I actually do! Here is the first four gearing of S2000:
1st: 38 mph
2nd: 56
3rd: 78
4th: 100

I almost always shift at/near redline "most" of the times!
But that's because you have to do that in an S2000 to get any speed. You don't have to do that in the Spyder.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:55 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
It's worth the wait. I did the 2000 mile break in as well and it was indeed hard to bear. At 3500 miles now and nothing puts a smile on my face like revving this car.
I might be in love with your car (and color)!!
Old 07-30-2016, 08:01 PM
DiabloBlanco
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Took a ride through Santiago Canyon this morning. Got stuck behind some slow cars but managed to throttle it a little.

I was bummed because there were so many cyclists on this route. I have to say that many of these cyclists don't consider their safety. I am a cyclist myself and it bothers me that these cyclist think they own the road......riding the line instead of inside of the line or the packs of cyclist thinking it's the Tour De France.

Anyhow, I took the opportunity to send the Spyder in a downshift and quick growl past those that were less courteous.....at least one way I was able to enjoy the driving experience more.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:08 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

But that's because you have to do that in an S2000 to get any speed. You don't have to do that in the Spyder.
Yes, you are right. It is frantic in an S2000 to make any meaningful pace. And, that pace comes at a glacial rate, as compared to Spyder! I think guys like me would be a lot happier if the first three gears were closer. But, we will never get it, for a # of reasons! Well, you can't have it all!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:42 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

I think it all depends on what you are coming from.

Get out of a 991 GT3 and the 981 Spyder from an accleration point feels underwhelming especially below 5000 RPMS. But it still feels connected and handles exceptionally Even in comparison to the brilliant GT3

Get out of a 991S MT Carrera Cab and you realize that the Spyder is pretty fast too in addition to being supremely nimble and connected to the road.

Don't get me wrong the Carrera Cab is a wonderful car but I was never so happy to get back in my Spyder. The GT3 on the other hand, boy that accleration is intoxicating.

I still find this "religiously adhered to break-in period" mind boggling.

I don't see how a one line "suggestion" in the US owners manual that most people will never read compels anyone to squander the first 2000 miles spent in their car. Not to mention the automotive physics that somehow affects us here in North America but is absent in the ROW.

The raison d'etre of an NA car like the Spyder is to be revved. if you don't like the car after keeping RPMs above 5k on some mountain twisties then as Alex said, the car isn't for you.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:52 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

There is absolutely zero need on the street to wind the car out to redline all the time. In the mountains you can accelerate hard, shift at 5,500, have plenty of fun strafing turns at very high speeds, get tons of shifting in and have a great time. I'll never understand why people are so concerned about how fast a car goes at redline in 2nd or 3rd gear. If you had a car with shorter gearing, would you honestly be bouncing it off the rev limiter all day on the street?
The ratios are long and not optimal from a performance stand point afaic. You'd probably shave 4/10ths in 0-60 accleration with better optimized ratios. And that's not all, shorter gearing is helpful in keeping the car in the optimal rev range. For me there is a feeling of less slack with shorter gears. But that's really the only downside I see with this car.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:28 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

Porsche 981 Spyder Independence Pass Colorado July 31, 2016

This car is everything a Porsche should be. It was so much fun I had to make a "U" turn at the bottom and go up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2B...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-02-2016, 01:39 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
Porsche 981 Spyder Independence Pass Colorado July 31, 2016

This car is everything a Porsche should be. It was so much fun I had to make a "U" turn at the bottom and go up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2B...ature=youtu.be
Great sound capture, was that with top down and windows up?
Old 08-02-2016, 01:56 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

Top up. Windows down. Sport On. Never Sport+

I just love this car. For mountain pass driving the long second gear works quite well. It could use a bit more steering feedback which I notice primarily at low speeds. This car is well (and properly) broken in with 3500 miles in Europe and now 1000 in Colorado.

Quick Reply: Help getting excited about my Spyder!