Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1: Collectable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 04:13 AM
wrlee
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1: Collectable?

I saw a 2008 Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1 for sale. There were only 777 made.

Unfortunately, this one looked like it was never appreciated; not garaged, faded interior, bad paint job, scraped front lip, scratches and gravel dings everywhere. In theory, everything can be repaired, but I am not looking for a money-pit. My fear is that if the outside was so poorly taken care of, I probably shouldn't expect the mechanicals to be in great shape either. But...

I am wondering whether this is truly a collectable? How much of a premium over a regular S would this be worth, normally?

I'll have to decide whether it is even worth the few hundred $$ for an inspection, which I'd have to do if I am going to pursue this car.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:39 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

no
Old 03-03-2016, 01:06 PM
sliollio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely not a collectible as nothing really separates this car from the rest besides being "limited"; not to mention the Cayman got a much needed facelift the following year. For that gen, the Cayman R is your best pick for collectibility, but even then you'd maybe be looking at a 10% gain in value over the next few years... and that's if you kept the miles off of it.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:51 AM
wrlee
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys, good to help keep me objective.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:58 PM
alex harber
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

First time in the garage

The wheels got refinished as apart of purchase

Next to the Vette.

Home delivery!

Seats are nice and clean

Worst scratch in entire interior.

Marring on the... rubberized paint? What is this finish anyways?

Old 05-06-2020, 01:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by sliollio
Definitely not a collectible as nothing really separates this car from the rest besides being "limited"; not to mention the Cayman got a much needed facelift the following year. For that gen, the Cayman R is your best pick for collectibility, but even then you'd maybe be looking at a 10% gain in value over the next few years... and that's if you kept the miles off of it.
Lipstick on a pig.. gotta love Porsche - when they announce a facelift model (like the 987.2) they gotta do something to get the old turkey's off the showroom floor - so lets make them a special model and slap some oddball VW color on them. I had a Cayenne Titanium - '06 - just when the '08 facelift was announced (there was no '07 Cayenne in the US). Slap in some 2 tone interior, fancy paint on the wheels and some VW exterior colors you never see on a Porsche and we got ourselves something "special" to push out the door. And people buy them. But I've never seen them bring a premium on resale.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:54 PM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Collectable....hmmm. It seems we will all be debating this until the end of time but I heard Porsche is about to anoint the 987 with the “Classic” moniker.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:36 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Collectible is when, in forty years, your grandkid pays three times the factory list for a clapped-out version of whatever car you're looking at now. Think beanie babies...

Quick Reply: Cayman S Porsche Design Edition 1: Collectable?