Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got to drive a new Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,783 Likes on 2,371 Posts

i believe 7.2GT/RS can be turned off completely, not 7.1 however.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 205 Likes on 134 Posts

it must be possible with a software hack.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Nannies and turning them really 'off'....

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
I doubt it will have 3 PSM settings.

they always cut back in any how ;-)

just a question about PSM off on yours, do you disconnect the Yaw electrics to stop PSM cutting back in on sharp turns.

I can get my PSM light to flash and cut back in on the exit of tighter turns which is a pain even when fully off. happens on my R also.
Originally Posted by orthojoe
This is a problem with all new cars. No way to completely turn off PSM
Originally Posted by hf1
I wonder, is the 996 GT3 the last one where you can turn everything (except ABS) off? (Nothing there to turn off anyway.)
Originally Posted by mooty
i believe 7.2GT/RS can be turned off completely, not 7.1 however.
Let me see if we can get this straight.

a) 996 gt3 had ABS but no nannies.

b) The .1 997 gt3 & RS had ABS and Traction Control (TC), but no Electronic Stability Control (ESC). But there was a button to turn TC off! And that seemed to work very well:

https://rennlist.com/forums/8597068-post47.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-mean-off.html

c) The .2 997 gt3 & RS & the current 991 gt3 have ABS, Traction Control (TC) and Electronic Stability Control (ESC). That is the combination of electronic nannies which Porsche has come to call 'Porsche Stability Management' or PSM. According to Porsche, on the gt3's the 'PSM can be completely deactivated in two stages for deliberately sporty handling'. See attachments. But is it really off?

What I think OrthoJoe & mrd are talking about is that regardless if you turn off ESC or ESC+TC, the electronic safety systems kicks back in (unexpectedly) under certain circumstances. But are the those things that would trigger it? Braking might be it for the non-gt3 models...but it couldn't possible be true for the gt3, correct? Otherwise, what is the point off turning them off on the track if they come back on after braking for the first turn?

We also have some threads on this subject from the past:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7898...on-or-off.html

Can someone care to elaborate more on this subject so that we understand the PSM off 'problem', if you want to even call it that? Torque vectoring is always 'on' for those Porsche models with it, correct?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 08-07-2014, 07:00 PM
tel2931
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took delivery of my Carmine Red Boxster GTS. Manual trans, X73 suspension. Smile constantly! The exhaust does sound amazing
Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by tel2931
Just took delivery of my Carmine Red Boxster GTS. Manual trans, X73 suspension. Smile constantly! The exhaust does sound amazing
Pics or video pls.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:33 PM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tel2931
So is there something different about the PSE on the GTS vs regular S model ?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by perretar
So is there something different about the PSE on the GTS vs regular S model ?
My understanding is that the PSE is the same, but the GTS model includes a sound symposer that directs sound from in engine into the rear of the cabin. This accounts for the difference in sound from the GTS model vs the regular.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Video clip of the sound coming from the GTS. Soooo good...

Old 08-25-2014, 12:39 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds great! Makes my Spyder sound like it's whispering it's way down the street!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

My remus equipped spyder does sound relatively sedate...
No way in hell the GTS passes sound at laguna. Not even sure if turn away pipes will be enough
Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fatoyster
Hi about the PTV system, how does it feel in corners. Does it give more grip during corners? Big difference? need some advise. thanks
My 911 has PTV. It is noticeable on the street, you don't need it just for the track. It's not that it gives you more grip, it's just that the rear end feels more planted as you accelerate through a turn, less likely to step-out on you. Maybe not such a big deal with the 981/987, which is better balanced than the 911. I have read that rear brake wear is excessive if you track it. And there's no way to turn it off.

Joe, I'm curious since you have a Spyder and a GT3 on order, what's up with the BRZ? Is it not a buzzy little cheapster next to the Porsche? Or are there other attributes (besides price) that make it worth-while. I had a wild hair this weekend thinking that it might make a good, inexpensive track car.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MJBird993
My 911 has PTV. It is noticeable on the street, you don't need it just for the track. It's not that it gives you more grip, it's just that the rear end feels more planted as you accelerate through a turn, less likely to step-out on you. Maybe not such a big deal with the 981/987, which is better balanced than the 911. I have read that rear brake wear is excessive if you track it. And there's no way to turn it off. Joe, I'm curious since you have a Spyder and a GT3 on order, what's up with the BRZ? Is it not a buzzy little cheapster next to the Porsche? Or are there other attributes (besides price) that make it worth-while. I had a wild hair this weekend thinking that it might make a good, inexpensive track car.
Forgot to mention PTV. You do notice it even with some aggressive street driving. It's a strange feeling. When you take a corner aggressively, you are expecting to run a little wide if you are tad fast, but PTV tucks the car in to hold your original line. Like a hand on the rear end that pushes your car back in line. Artificial feel. I'm sure it makes you faster, but I'm not sure I like that.

BRZ is my daily driver. I see no need for a flashy, fast, expensive car to use as a DD. Better gas mileage, no worrying about dings and crazy drivers damaging the car, but still fun to drive.
The BRZ is a fun track car, but it had issues with durability on track, so I have since retired it from the track and use it solely as a commuter.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

One more thing. The steering. I can't see why anyone would complain about it. It's perfect. Porsche seems to be improving on steering feel with each model. I distinctly remember noticing the electric steering feel on my friends 2013 boxster. I cannot notice it in the GTS.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:34 PM
jalbrah
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

The sound is intoxicating - the experience on the Boxster GTS with the top down must be even more amplified. Nicely done Porsche!
Great to hear that the steering feel is sorted out with these latest models too.
I wonder how many Spyder owners will "defect" to the GTS camp... I still think that the Spyder is a classic but not sure about the Cayman R.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jalbrah
The sound is intoxicating - the experience on the Boxster GTS with the top down must be even more amplified. Nicely done Porsche! Great to hear that the steering feel is sorted out with these latest models too. I wonder how many Spyder owners will "defect" to the GTS camp... I still think that the Spyder is a classic but not sure about the Cayman R.
Despite how much I love the GTS, the spyder is still special enough where I will still keep it and will not trade for a GTS.

Quick Reply: I got to drive a new Cayman GTS