Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S: Buckets, harnesses.... finally

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, all advice appreciated! BTW: TC design said it took like 5 hours to install the bar! No instructions, or templates... They said never again! But it's in now . The wheel was about $650, plus core charge which I will get back.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Re: seat belt buckle

I did the ultimate cheapo mod for that. I traced the pattern of the buckle onto a Safeway club card and cut out the pattern. Works like a charm.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
Problem is that doesn't take care of the computer thinking the weight sensor and airbag have failed.
Steering Wheel Airbag for driver will work the same regardless if OEM belts are buckled 'in' or not. Dash Airbag for passenger on a 997 & 991 is two-stage - it will deploy at one force if the passenger seat sensor detects weight greater than so many pounds (approx. 108 lbs), at lesser force if seat sensor detects lesser weight...and not at all if it detects no weight at all! On the early 987's (perhaps Ian's Cayman), Porsche might have retained a single-stage deployment system (I am not sure). But it doesn't matter. The cars airbags will deploy, or not, according to their designated role in case of an impact accident. It has nothing to do with the seat belt buckles.

How do you think these 'buckle plugs' will get the car's computer thinking the weight sensor & airbag have failed? The car's computers & sensors are smarter than you give them credit. Seat belts are an important part of a car's modern safety but both gov't regulators & automobile manufacturers assume that not everyone will buckle up. And for those 'idiots', the airbags offers a back-up safety net!

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS By the way, my Safeway Club car has been missing since I met the 'boys' for lunch last year at Shark Werks! Anybody found it?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:30 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Steering Wheel Airbag for driver will work the same regardless if OEM belts are buckled 'in' or not. Dash Airbag for passenger on a 997 & 991 is two-stage - it will deploy at one force if the passenger seat sensor detects weight greater than so many pounds (approx. 108 lbs), at lesser force if seat sensor detects lesser weight...and not at all if it detects no weight at all! On the early 987's (perhaps Ian's Cayman), Porsche might have retained a single-stage deployment system (I am not sure). But it doesn't matter. The cars airbags will deploy, or not, according to their designated role in case of an impact accident. It has nothing to do with the seat belt buckles.

How do you think these 'buckle plugs' will get the car's computer thinking the weight sensor & airbag have failed? The car's computers & sensors are smarter than you give them credit. Seat belts are an important part of a car's modern safety but both gov't regulators & automobile manufacturers assume that not everyone will buckle up. And for those 'idiots', the airbags offers a back-up safety net!

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS By the way, my Safeway Club car has been missing since I met the 'boys' for lunch last year at Shark Werks! Anybody found it?
lol, where did you get that I was talking about airbag operation?
The OP asked about turning off the airbag lights, and my response was about turning off the lights
through coding the computer to not look at the pax seat airbag and weight sensor.
That turns the lights off. That's all. Everything defaults to someone being in the seat.
Turning off the chime is a separate command because the car now thinks someone is always there.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

lol, where did you get that I was talking about airbag operation?
The OP asked about turning off the airbag lights, and my response was about turning off the lights
through coding the computer to not look at the pax seat airbag and weight sensor.
That turns the lights off. That's all. Everything defaults to someone being in the seat.
Misunderstood your comment since you quoted my post which was about buckle plugs. Sorry!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Misunderstood your comment since you quoted my post which was about buckle plugs. Sorry!

Saludos,
Eduardo
No problem, just to clarify for everyone doing this with a search of the forum,
the dash red airbag icon and console amber pax airbag lights will still be on with the buckle plug in, only the chime will turn off.
That's because the ECU sensor impedance monitoring is now wrong ie. infinite.
That's what the Durametric is for, to tell the ECU to no longer look at the impedances.
While you're in there you can turn all the chimes off too including the driver/door etc.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Great trick joe! I may try that... If I don't get around to programming before TH
Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Which TH date? If I come up from LA, I'll do it at the track if you want.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

No problem, just to clarify for everyone doing this with a search of the forum,
the dash red airbag icon and console amber pax airbag lights will still be on with the buckle plug in, only the chime will turn off.
That's because the ECU sensor impedance monitoring is now wrong ie. infinite.
That's what the Durametric is for, to tell the ECU to no longer look at the impedances.
While you're in there you can turn all the chimes off too including the driver/door etc.
A432. For your information, this is part 2 of the OP's sport bucket seat 'adventure'! He got all basically quite a bit of 'feedback' in response to his first thread in late February! It went to two pages and 25 posts!

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...gt3-seats.html

The issue for him right now (I think) is that he doesn't have a Durametric, nor any VAG-Com device, nor the know-how to do any ECU software modification on his own! That is why he is asking if anyone knows a dealer or a shop that might be able to help him out in the San Francisco - San Jose - Contra Costa area. But if you can do it at TH, even better!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

Great mods! What did you do with your stock seats? I'm looking for some 997/987 seats for my 993.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Which TH date? If I come up from LA, I'll do it at the track if you want.
Ooo! Ian and I will be at thunderhill on April 19th. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to use your durametric pro to calibrate my seat occupant detector. It doesn't recognize the proper weight to turn off the passenger airbag. I've only got the durametric enthusiast version.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

I'll be there the 18th and 19th. That would be amazing! My son just got seats too... We'll all owe you big time. Dinner? 20 year old scotch? You name it.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Re: seat belt buckle

I did the ultimate cheapo mod for that. I traced the pattern of the buckle onto a Safeway club card and cut out the pattern. Works like a charm.
Nice! I went the OEM cheap route - I asked my service adviser if they had an old male buckle laying around & she gave me one.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I'll be there the 18th and 19th. That would be amazing! My son just got seats too... We'll all owe you big time. Dinner? 20 year old scotch? You name it.
A432: The Macallan is the way to go...unless you like sushi, then all bets are off!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Nice! I went the OEM cheap route - I asked my service adviser if they had an old male buckle laying around & she gave me one.
You got lucky, Dr. Bill! I looked in my closet, and this is all I could find!
I don't think this would have fitted into my seat's 'female' buckle!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cayman S: Buckets, harnesses.... finally