Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S: Buckets, harnesses.... finally

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayman S: Buckets, harnesses.... finally

As some recall, My son and I each purchased a used Cayman S last spring, with the intent to do more track events. Last spring we did wheels and tires, GT3 brake Master Cylinder, rear toe links, motul brake fluid, braided lines and Pagid yellows (pads). For this season, (2 track days coming up later this month), I've continued the process. I was debating on doing coilovers and sway bars next, but opted for seats and harnesses first. I've heard that just those two things decrease lap times by a lot. And, with the regular stock non-sport seats, last time at the track, I was really flopping around. The stock suspension looks stupid with all the fender gap, but rides and grips really well. This is also my commuter car. So I spent a massive amount of time searching for, and trying on race buckets that fit me. Sparco, Recarro, Status, OMP.... Being so tall (6'4"), I couldn't find anything where the shoulder passthroughs were not too low. I would really love the recent Porsche GT2 folding CF buckets, but they are about $$$$. It turns out, the old 996 GT3 seats just offer enough shoulder height, but, they are about $$... so I got a pair of Knock-offs on the cheap, in CF about $2k. I figure I can upgrade later when I'm feeling rich! At the same time, I ordered a 1/2 cage of sorts... Tarret, mid-level harness bar. since I am so tall, I don't have room to spare in seat travel, so I got this, that mounts above the bulk head, rather than all the way to the floor, and at the rear, mounts to the strut towers. Not as good a a real half cage, but better than a harness bar alone?While I was at it, I also got GT3 front LCAs and a more aggressive alignment (still only about -2 fr & R). I also sent my steering wheel out to Dallas Custom, to be re-wrapped.

OMG what a massive difference! Between all the recent stuff, I am amazed. I am way faster and more confident. because of the hard shell buckets, I feel every motion in the chassis so much better, by a multiple of like 10! Combine that with the new alignment and crazy fun! I'm very happy with the new mods.

TC Designs in milpitas did all the install/set up.

Next up, hopefully before fall: LSD, PSS10s and sways, short shift???
Attached Images     
Old 04-07-2013, 04:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Awesome. I think all the selections you've made and plan on making make sense. That rear half cage looks nice. I'm looking forward to seeing the car in person. What tires are you guys running?

As far as posting pictures go, you don't need a membership to post. I never attach pics through the forum since there are limitations. I use an online file hosting website like imageshack.us to upload pics, click on 'insert image' icon while composing the post, and copy/paste the direct link to to show pics on my posts.

Are you running with the airbag lights permanently on now?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Airbag lights on for now, but really not annoying. I'll probably have it reprogrammed soon in Livermore. Running pss for now.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Everyone loves mpss. :-)

I hope I'm wrong on this, but I doubt any dealer is willing/able to turn off that airbag light for you.

I think your best bet may be to see if the pro edition durametric cable can do that job for you. Maybe call them up to see what they think?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:23 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice Cayman S and mods!

You seem to have done very similar mods as I did on my previous 987.1 Boxster S. I went for the Recaro Pole Position racing shells (I am not that tall). Great seats for the track.

For whatever it is worth, I upgraded the suspension to H&R monotube cup shocks and springs with H&R roll bars. Then had it all aligned by a race shop here that prepares the 911 GT3 Cup cars. Perfect balance and handling after this mod. I let one of the Porsche instructors drive the car one lap around Hockenheimring and he was amazed at the handling
Old 04-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Stead said no.... Others?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:25 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Regarding the airbag warning light. It can be switched off and my local Porsche dealer did it without complaints.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Stirling, was this dealer located in the United States?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Stirling, was this dealer located in the United States?
Nope
Old 04-07-2013, 07:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Nope
Unfortunately, that's not gonna help Ian then.

I think durametric pro is your best bet, Ian
The good news is that based on what StirlingMoss said, it is possible. I'm hoping its through durametric
Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

American dealers won't do it for liability reasons.

Durametric Pro will do it. The car still flashes the red dash airbag symbol for a few seconds on start,
then it goes out and the amber console light doesn't come on at all after the Durametric Pro "coding".

You can also turn off your door chime, seat belt chime etc. etc.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Yup, hoping to get that done, but as I said, not much of an annoyance. Funny, on the way home from the shop I had to hit a super tight back road and try out the new gear. Of course the seatbelt chime was driving me crazy, so I reached over and grabbed the passenger 3 point and plugged it into the driver side... Problem fixed! Untill I have an instructor or passenger.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Funny, on the way home from the shop I had to hit a super tight back road and try out the new gear. Of course the seatbelt chime was driving me crazy, so I reached over and grabbed the passenger 3 point and plugged it into the driver side... Problem fixed! Untill I have an instructor or passenger.
That's easy to fix. Get these 'buckle plugs' on eBay! But only if you can spare 99 cents after your substantial investment in those super 'sport buckets', cage & alcantara steering wheel! What did the later cost you to re-do at Dallas Custom?

Congratulations on everything you have done to your Cayman!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Whoever does it, if they're not familiar, may think it's not working because the car has to be started,
driven (down the street and back is fine), shut off and restarted to show the software change.
If you just code it and start it, it will look like it didn't work as the red airbag light will still flash.
Think "reboot" lol. Also to be safe, run a battery charger while coding so that voltage doesn't drop while you're in the ECU.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
That's easy to fix. Get these 'buckle plugs' on eBay! But only if you can spare 99 cents after your substantial investment in those super 'sport buckets', cage & alcantara steering wheel!
Problem is that doesn't take care of the computer thinking the weight sensor and airbag have failed.
Since you're already in the ECU to fix those, you can just turn off the chimes at the same time.

Quick Reply: Cayman S: Buckets, harnesses.... finally