Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Gt3 RS or 997.2 Gt3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I don't know about perfect combos Khooni but I do know that we all have biologic clocks that keep ticking and when the alarm goes off guess what there is no stopping. I want to get in as much different ownership experiences as I can before I don't know what condition will affect my health. I enjoyed my air-cooled car as long as I had it and was sad to see it leave my home but I still reminisce that sound of the motor and light feel of the 3.2 coupe. I chuckle every time when I see people belittle the Cayenne. After 25K miles in less than two years IMO, it is the best high performance truck one can ever drive in their lifetime and it also does other stuff so well be it transporting family, hauling goods or travel in blizzard like conditions. As much as the fact that CR makes most sense for someone who resides in this beautiful PNW, I just want a pure no frills roadster and connect with the elements and what better car than a BS. My test drive recently just proved that there is no subtitute for light weight ... not even more power. Thats where a lightly spec'd BS holds charm in my eyes. BTW I have always enjoyed your posts Khooni. What a great set of folks we have here in this community.
Thanks. I also believe in getting as many experiences as I can reasonably afford. Like many folks here, I have children of my own and time spent behind the wheel is precious as it is quality to me.

I am still to test drive the Gt3 tomorrow and see if that will be sufficient to convince me to swap the CR for one. In all likelihood, I think it will be a purchase I delay for one more year. The number of track days I have planned in 2013 means that it probably is wiser to continue with the CR and the spyder.

Honestly, I have not found the power lacking or the car unsatisfactory in any way. That applies to both the spyder and the CR. In fact, unless a handy wheel man is behind the Gt3, I have no problems keeping up with Gt3s on track despite being on PS2s (ok ok, brands hatch is a short and twisty circuit) . and, I still think the lightweight, slim, svelte cayman/spyder is better looking than any other variant of the 997/991/981 series, with my all time favourite looker being the 996 mk 1 Gt3. I test drove a mint example last year and thought the CR being comparable a drive. Well, road test drives are tricky because you can't probe the car sufficiently, but suffice to say, the .2 gt3 is massively different than the .1 996 gt3.

In short, i have not found the CR wanting in any way. Like you I just want to experience the motorsport pedigree and one day
the gt3 itch will be scratched.......
Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
Like you I just want to experience the motorsport pedigree and one day the gt3 itch will be scratched.......
No question you should scratch the itch if you can swing it. It really is a special car.
Attached Images  

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-18-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:11 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

it was raining today (london.. what do you expect) but i managed to bag a drive from SFO on his 7.2 gt3 with PCCBs.

yes, the car is awesome. shifter and clutch are industrial duty and the brake pedal is firm and situated higher than the accelerator pedal. In my short and slow drive, there wasn't much of a chance to extend the car in any way.

I don't think we need to debate about the engine......

My conclusion is... I don't think i'm quite ready to make the leap. I am still learning about how the CR responds and think it's much lighter touch makes me feel more at one with the car. I'll prolly drive the gt3 again in the new year after hols and take it from there. In the mean time, the CR will be getting new pads, new PS2s, new fluids in preparation for the next driving season starting march 2013. Yoohoo......

Yes Joe... You are right re the brakes.. firm and short... linear but way to short of a travel for me...... But, at least now I know how you like your brakes set up.....
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
Yes Joe... You are right re the brakes.. firm and short... linear but way to short of a travel for me...... But, at least now I know how you like your brakes set up.....
That, sir, is how a man's brake pedal should feel. j/k LOL.

As long as you noticed the difference, I'm happy.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Khooni I too faced the same decision making process. I was not ready to get into a mighty car like the RS. In the end I convinced myself that the car I wanted (purist spec, grey black/red with very low mileage, CPO'ed in a showroom perfect condition) may never show up when I become skill worthy to own/drive one.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:45 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7.1 looks great with the wide body and the carbon fiber wing. It has the lightweight flywheel which makes throttle response very zippy. There are issues with the coolant fittings around the engine. Apparently they can blow and dump your coolant on the track. The fix involves dropping the engine and welding the fittings in place.

7.2 also looks great, just in a different way. The aero looks more hi tech. The radio/PCM is the much better updated unit, this really changes the look of the interior. There are issues with the center lock wheels. Some cars have lost a rear wheel on the track. There is a second recall taking place right now, which involves replacing the rear hubs and shortening the rear hub replacement schedule to something like two years. The center locks are also a pain to deal with in general. So much so that I didn't bother with track wheels. Once I can drive this car like Patrick Long I'll consider buying a second set of wheels with dedicated track tires.

Bottom line is that both cars have issues but they can be dealt with. They are both vastly more capable than a cayman or boxter. I would buy the best car that is available locally. Bear in mind that installing a roll bar, harnesses and appropriate seats can be expensive.

Edit: just noticed you've decided to delay on the GT3. By this time next year, the 991 GT3 should be out so you'll probably find some much better deals on the 997s.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zanwar
7.1...There are issues with the coolant fittings around the engine. Apparently they can blow and dump your coolant on the track. The fix involves dropping the engine and welding the fittings in place.
This is an issue with the 7.2s as well, you know.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Khooni I too faced the same decision making process. I was not ready to get into a mighty car like the RS. In the end I convinced myself that the car I wanted (purist spec, grey black/red with very low mileage, CPO'ed in a showroom perfect condition) may never show up when I become skill worthy to own/drive one.
w00t, that is indeed a problem. The RS especially has zero over revs and is CPOed... pricing is pretty good as well. GT3s are less rare but since expensive toys like sports cars are hardly going up in value and asia still seems to prefer SUVs over hardcore sportscars, I don't think GT3s will be leaving the uk for export.

But based on my current impressions, I am leaning towards the 7.1 RS instead of the 7.2 gt3
Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 AM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by orthojoe
This is an issue with the 7.2s as well, you know.
I haven't read anything about the 7.2 cars having this issue. Could you post a reference?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zanwar
I haven't read anything about the 7.2 cars having this issue. Could you post a reference?
The problem lies with all mezger engined cars because of the way a coolant line is glued together. The 997.2 GT3 lines are glue together in the same way. Not as many have occurred yet because the glue hasn't had a chance to dry out yet. However, it has happened in a few cars mentioned in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-failures.html

Now there's a new issue too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...gt3-gt3rs.html
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The problem lies with all mezger engined cars because of the way a coolant line is glued together. The 997.2 GT3 lines are glue together in the same way. Not as many have occurred yet because the glue hasn't had a chance to dry out yet. However, it has happened in a few cars mentioned in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-failures.html

Now there's a new issue too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...gt3-gt3rs.html
Thanks I had seen the second post but not the first. Guess I'll build the cost of the repair into my maintenance budget.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Gt3 RS or 997.2 Gt3?