Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post - Cayman question..

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Scott_C
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post - Cayman question..

Hi all, this is my first post here, I'm in the market for a second-hand Porsche Cayman. For the money I want to spend, I can get either a base Cayman with around 20,000 miles, or a Cayman S with anything from 40,000 to 60,000 miles.

Now i know this will largely come down to personal taste, but I'm wondering if the base Cayman will be fast enough and give me enough of a thrill, or if I should look for a well-looked after Cayman S with the higher miles?

In favour of Porsche, and the things I've read, it seems these cars dont show wear and tear in quite the same way as many other makes of motor car. i'm thinking and hoping I might find a one or two owner Cayman S that's really been looked after.

The other side of the coin is that for the same money, I could buy a base Cayman that has very low miles, and possibly has been hardly driven.

As you can tell from my post, I'm undecided and a bit confused.

I'd appreciate any feedback, thank you.

-Scott.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome Scott.

I think this will depend on how you'll be using the car. Will it see track time? If not, the base model should have plenty of power for you.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome, Scott

What years are you looking at? Porsche makes changes almost every year and it's even possible that a later Cayman might appeal to you more than an earlier Cayman S. Just make sure that you know what you are comparing.

Personally, I like buying well maintained cars with higher mileage. Each of the (modern) Porsches we've bought has required some debugging to resolve delivery issues and I'm unconvinced that these would have been caught and resolved before the warranty period expired if the cars were driven as infrequently as many are. Also, if you are looking at non-DI cars, there's more than anecdotal evidence that regularly driven cars do not suffer IMS failures at the same rate.

A good resource for you is also the Cayman Register (http://www.caymanregister.org/). If you are a PCA member, you'll get full access, but even as a guest, you'll get access to most/all of the existing archives. I lurked there (and here) for quite a while before buying our last two Porsches.

Have fun with your search, and be patient - the car you are looking for eventually shows up. Never be afraid to ask a question... but don't forget to search the forums first. There is a ton of good information here.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Palmetto
3rd Gear

I'm actually in the exact same boat as the OP, so Scott, hope you don't mind my piggy backing here..

I'm also dealing with my manly urges to get the S, but the base model will still be more car than I've ever owned or driven as a daily driver.. Once drove an M6 for 5 minutes, but thats another story.. Is there dramatic difference in performance between the two? If I get the base, will I regret not getting the S?

One of the things that I find hard to find in listings is some of the creature comforts I'd like to get... I see that Navigation is an option.. Would that be only for the base or S model or is it available in both?

Also, I'm a sales rep (I know I know parden the cliche), but bluetooth and handsfree phone options are one of the features I need as I live in an area with handsfree driving laws.. I would really prefer to have it built in and not one of those mics you paperclip to the visor kinda thing.. So is this an option? Can you have Porsche install this aftermarket, and in doing so is the price absurd? I have only seen it once listed as feature, and its typically not listed in most listings I've seen. If it is, does it work well? Should I throw this out the window and look for aftermarket products? I ask this, because a lot of listings seem to have faulty entries - calling it an S and you see it and its clearly the Base, or saying it has automatic tran but pics show a stick, so I have a tough time knowing the accuracy and I don't want to start asking the dealers too many questions as I'm not ready to buy and don't want the hassles, etc.

Same question for iPod or MP3 connectivity.. I'd rather not have to lug my CDs around in an already tight quarter and this is another option that I have rarely seen in listings. I'm hoping because its one of those options thats standard on most models? Or should I not consider this as much either, and look for aftermarket..

I've considered the potential that if you find one with Nav, it will likely include bluetooth / auxiliary inputs... Are the early models absent of any / all of these options?

This will be my first Porsche and I will be driving it quite a bit, but all my "Porsche" friends say the cars are made to be driven, very reliable, and really fun and great to drive.. I'm so pumped about it..

I guess, as a caveat, if my budget is roughly 33K-34K or less, what are my best options? The price ranges seem to vary only slightly, but for instance I've seen ones with less than 10k miles on an 07' for cheaper prices than ones on this site with 50k miles.. Makes me apprehensive..
Old 12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Palmetto, and welcome!

The RL Cayman forum isn't as active as the 987/981 forum, and all Caymans fall under the 987/981 model - you should check both.

I'm not an expert on the Bluetooth or sound options, but I believe that Aux and Bluetooth are relatively recent additions (at least as a part of the standard build). They are on my 2012 Cayman R, but not on my 2008 RS.

There have been multiple postings on the iPod/MP3 connectivity on RL in the past, and you will find experts here.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Scott_C
3rd Gear

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delay in responding.

Steve - I'm looking at probably an 06 or 07 model Cayman as I live in Australia, and even the 6 year old vehicles are around $60k - $65k (Porsche's are obscenely expensive here)

I hear you in regard to finding a well looked after vehicle, even with higher k's - I think i'd rather fine a one (possibly two) owner vehicle thats been lovingly looked after, rather than a five+ owner vehicle thats changed hands too much, even if it had lower k's.

Rubber Ducky - I appreciate your thoughts, I'll definitely need to drive a base Cayman and see if it feels like "enough car" for me LOL.

Palmetto - no worries about the hijack, i learn something new from other people's questions all the time.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 PM
mchi55
Advanced

I have an 07 base cayman, and sometimes I wished I springed for the S version. But once I get in and drive, and around the first corner, that all goes away.

Like what most said, the base should be enough power for you. But if your budget allows, I don't think more hp ever hurt anyone.

I personally would get one with lower miles too. My 07 Cayman, which I got about 1.5 years ago, had only 14,500 miles

Good luck
2013 Chevy Suburban
2008 Jeep Wrangler X
Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmetto
I guess, as a caveat, if my budget is roughly 33K-34K or less, what are my best options? The price ranges seem to vary only slightly, but for instance I've seen ones with less than 10k miles on an 07' for cheaper prices than ones on this site with 50k miles.. Makes me apprehensive..

For what it's worth, I'm buying a CPO 2006 Cayman S with 38k miles (from porsche dealer), and getting the front clear bra'd, for $34k. This is my first porsche as well, and I really wanted a warranty.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_C
Hi all, this is my first post here, I'm in the market for a second-hand Porsche Cayman. For the money I want to spend, I can get either a base Cayman with around 20,000 miles, or a Cayman S with anything from 40,000 to 60,000 miles.

Now i know this will largely come down to personal taste, but I'm wondering if the base Cayman will be fast enough and give me enough of a thrill, or if I should look for a well-looked after Cayman S with the higher miles?

In favour of Porsche, and the things I've read, it seems these cars dont show wear and tear in quite the same way as many other makes of motor car. i'm thinking and hoping I might find a one or two owner Cayman S that's really been looked after.

The other side of the coin is that for the same money, I could buy a base Cayman that has very low miles, and possibly has been hardly driven.

As you can tell from my post, I'm undecided and a bit confused.

I'd appreciate any feedback, thank you.

-Scott.
262K miles in a base Boxster and it still thrills. But drive examples of both cars and make up your own mind.

The base car will have the lowest running costs: insurance, fuel, tires, brakes; CV boots last longer.

The S has more power.

Really you have to decide first if you want an S or a base and then find the best example you can afford and buy it.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:10 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For what it's worth, I'm buying a CPO 2006 Cayman S with 38k miles (from porsche dealer), and getting the front clear bra'd, for $34k. This is my first porsche as well, and I really wanted a warranty.
Congrats on the purchase Can't wait to see it. Have you been shopping for long ? I would be interested to know if the prices will continue to go down.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Scott_C
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Macster
262K miles in a base Boxster and it still thrills. But drive examples of both cars and make up your own mind.

The base car will have the lowest running costs: insurance, fuel, tires, brakes; CV boots last longer.

The S has more power.

Really you have to decide first if you want an S or a base and then find the best example you can afford and buy it.
Thanks Macster, wow those miles are impressive and encouraging! Thanks for the tips on the running costs too.

I think I'll search for the best condition Cayman I can find in my price range, regardless of whether it's an S or base model. Because irrespective of which variant I buy, there's always faster cars out there. I realise Cayman's are all about the handling, and like mchi55 said, I'm sure off the line speed will be forgotten by the first corner.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Crabman141
Advanced

I really enjoy reading this and thank everyone for there input as I hope to purchase in about three months. Love to hear the stories and what actual owners say. I learned a lot, I will be looking at 2007 -2008 base model with IMS done or a S model or a 2009 model. Just really want to track it at some point so leaning towards the S.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabman141
I really enjoy reading this and thank everyone for there input as I hope to purchase in about three months. Love to hear the stories and what actual owners say. I learned a lot, I will be looking at 2007 -2008 base model with IMS done or a S model or a 2009 model. Just really want to track it at some point so leaning towards the S.
Get a 2009, base or S. A little more now will save you a lot of worry. If you are the worrying type, that is.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:05 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Congrats on the purchase Can't wait to see it. Have you been shopping for long ? I would be interested to know if the prices will continue to go down.
Well, I was shopping during my entire 7 month deployment to Afghanistan this year. I was very close to going down the 996 C2 route, but when I found this CPO Cayman S in the right color, I decided that it would be more prudent for my first Porsche to have a warranty. Especially one with the M96/97 motor.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:27 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I was shopping during my entire 7 month deployment to Afghanistan this year. I was very close to going down the 996 C2 route, but when I found this CPO Cayman S in the right color, I decided that it would be more prudent for my first Porsche to have a warranty. Especially one with the M96/97 motor.
I personally want to say thank you for your service I remember seeing that, I'm glad you steered clear of it, especially after it was hit in the parking lot, I think it was a good choice. Glad you found the car after this long journey. What color is it ? When do get it ?

Quick Reply: First post - Cayman question..