Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you prefer PDK or 6speed manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the word "poser" might be a bit harsh, but the availability of automatic trans/manu-matic trans certainly opened the doors of sports car ownership to every licensed driver. Most of the world recognize the difference between a automatic driver's license and a manual driver's license.

I did not live in the US when tiptronic first came out. But I remembered that people were excited because now they can buy and drive a Porsche, even though they didn't bother to learn stick shift and get a manual license. Those people, would probably be categorized as "posers." From that point on, you got people who know, and people who don't know, all in the mix. Plus there are less and less stick shift drivers over the years. I know it is wrong to assume, but you can't really blame the purist to judge when they see an autobox.

Like I said, one of the benefit of stick shift is that you'll never have to explain yourself. Legit excuses are perfectly fine, such as bad knee, can't drive stick, OK. It is when a lame excuse is given that can tick me off. My least fav one is "I bought PDK, so the wife can drive it too."

The driving in traffic excuse is kinda lame too. These cars are now pretty easy to drive. But I'd like to think I am pretty hardcore, case in point - I heel toe everywhere, sunday drive, rush hr commute. Heck I'd heel toe downshift in a school zone going 20mph. I get 12mpg, with a blip of fuel every time I downshift. I love it. I don't see it as a chore. Playing with the gear box, rev it out. Doing it properly of course. The change in speed, the change in revs, so dynamic. You know the dude doing a drum solo in the Spyder promo video. That' how I feel.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 987s987
I saw that "poser" comment as kind of strange too. Not everyone, who enjoys driving a manual, drives them on a racetrack. In fact, I'm pretty sure that people who track their cars are the minority, not the majority.
An unfortunate true fact for any performance car out there. The problem arises when these fellas who have never seen a track, and therefore do not truly know how to drive a car fast, start talking trash about their skillz and how they are somehow manly with a manual transmission. Poser

I have driven a manual all my life and because I don't heel/toe it when whipping around town doesn't make me a poser. Your comment is insulting to the many people who by a car to enjoy on the street.
That's totally fine that you can't heel/toe and have no interest in it. We're not looking down on it or insulting it. However, if you've ever taken a car to a track, you would see why heel/toe is important and fun to do even whipping around town. The problem arises when people who can't heel/toe start talking trash about how they're more skilled and interactive with their car than someone with a PDK. It takes no skill or involvement to shift a manual gear lever. It takes skill, practice, and gives great involvement and reward to get a heel/toe just right every time.

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Like I said, one of the benefit of stick shift is that you'll never have to explain yourself.
So true. So true....

I heel toe everywhere, sunday drive, rush hr commute. Heck I'd heel toe downshift in a school zone going 20mph. I get 12mpg, with a blip of fuel every time I downshift. I love it. I don't see it as a chore. Playing with the gear box, rev it out. Doing it properly of course. The change in speed, the change in revs, so dynamic. You know the dude doing a drum solo in the Spyder promo video. That' how I feel.
Totally agree with you. Once again.

I'm probably confusing people in arguing for AND against dual clutch. That's because I own both types of transmissions and realize the pros/cons of each.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 AM
LENELSA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PDK !!
Manual on Porsches blow . On 997.1 anyway.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PDK!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Thank you, Orthojoe, for being more articulate than I am. I am not tryin to put anyone down that prefers the manual over the PDK, I just don't understand why I'd give up the performance advantage, and the way the PDK taunts you with the high rev, "are you sure you don't wanna go fast?" profile. Manual tranny in a classic Porsche. heck yeah! Modern Porsches tho... For my taste, PDK makes more sense, but that's just my opinion. Y'all are welcome to yours.

Quick Reply: Do you prefer PDK or 6speed manual?