Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you prefer PDK or 6speed manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 514 Posts

I am lazy, so PDK is my preferred SOP.

PDK
Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
I have driven both. The PDK is *way*'more fun to drive, IMO, it's not even close. I get the "I want to feel connected to my car" thing, but at this point, when I see folks arguing for the manual, I immediately think "poser".
Uhh, I don't know what type of driving you do, but that is quite an odd statement. "Poser" because you actually learn to shift well/properly instead of letting a computer do it for you?? Yes, I've driven a PDK... many times. Unless you're talking about a paddle shifter with manual-ONLY shifting (no automatic function available)... then we're talking.

Yes, to each his own, and I fully admit that PDK is a better platform. But your statements are quite silly (to put it very mildly).
Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Uhh, I don't know what type of driving you do, but that is quite an odd statement. "Poser" because you actually learn to shift well/properly instead of letting a computer do it for you??
Vet, I think he's referring to all the posers out there that THINK they know how to drive a manual transmission, but can't even rev match, let alone heel toe. There's actually a lot of those guys around that talk macho about MT, but can't heel toe. I would call those guys posers.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Sensitive much, vet?

There is nothing wrong with shifting manually, especially in a classic Porsche, andi would encourage everyone to learn to do so properly. It's a great feeling when you get it right and you do indeed "connect" with the car. Like I said in my original post on this thread, I get that. What I don't get is the almost religious attitude people get about it compared to "automatic trannys" in Porsches. The best driver in the world isn't going to be able to be as good as a PDK in most situations, yet there are far too many folks that are convinced they can. I have seen enough of those people demonstrate weak skills behind the wheel. Ortho is right, it's those folks that I call posers.

I am fine with anyone who truly enjoys the act of shifting gears, and might have been more clear in my original post here.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

And fair disclosure here, I think I am a decent driver and have a manual tranny car as a daily driver. Feel free to call me a poser too, if it makes you feel better.

The OP asked about these particular cars, and I really think the performance of the PDK matches the character of these cars better than a manual does. It's sort of like getting the latest processor chip for your computer and then loading it with DOS.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This topic has been "beat to death". There is no right or wrong answer, only what it best for you and your needs. If you want someone to tell you what to buy this is not the way to get the answer. You need to drive both and decide for yourself.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

These threads "almost" remind of oil threads although in this instance it is a matter of personal preference. We are fortunate that both of these options are very well executed on a Porsche and you can't go wrong with either selection. My fear is that Porsche will phase out the traditional MT in favor of a PDK MT which eliminates two of the advantages of the MT (lighter, simpler). The 991 is already using this and from what I'm reading the GT cars are headed in the same direction.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM
pjmachineco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6MT all the way baby!!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

PDK me!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I can still tie my own shoe laces, knot my own tie, and tie a bow tie. Until I'm incapable of doing those I will stay with stick shift: I just do not need or want a machine to do it for me.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
I can still tie my own shoe laces, knot my own tie, and tie a bow tie. Until I'm incapable of doing those I will stay with stick shift: I just do not need or want a machine to do it for me.
isn't your XF-R automatic?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Gone!

Originally Posted by sfo
isn't your XF-R automatic?
Got bored with it and it was too big. Don't need a car for work so looking at fun options from 2.7RS Rep, to 993 Turbo, to new Coxster to drive at weekends and for trips.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Manual, for all the right reasons (reliability, simplicity, weight, cost. In a sports car, I want to feel and control everything.

The way things are going, having a manual also means you will never need to justify not letting someone else drive your car - they won't be able to.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:48 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Manual, for all the right reasons (reliability, simplicity, weight, cost. In a sports car, I want to feel and control everything.

The way things are going, having a manual also means you will never need to justify not letting someone else drive your car - they won't be able to.
^ this. And they won't be able to steal it!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:34 PM
987s987
Advanced

I saw that "poser" comment as kind of strange too. Not everyone, who enjoys driving a manual, drives them on a racetrack. In fact, I'm pretty sure that people who track their cars are the minority, not the majority. I have driven a manual all my life and because I don't heel/toe it when whipping around town doesn't make me a poser. Your comment is insulting to the many people who by a car to enjoy on the street.

Quick Reply: Do you prefer PDK or 6speed manual?