Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you prefer PDK or 6speed manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Flyntgr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you prefer PDK or 6speed manual?

I have always preferred the manual stick shift to any automatic, but now that the PDK is out there for these 987s and 981s, which do you prefer in these particular cars?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I had the option to choose either, I picked MT
Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I was always a manual guy (back when I learned to drive that was about the only thing) When PORSCHE bought back my '07 GT3 for repeated rear main seal issues, I ordered a '09 C2S and thought long and hard as to transmission. The dealer was pushing hard for me to get a PDK as that was the first year it was put in a consumer car (it was raced much earlier in the 962 race car at LeMans). Well the dealer finally won with the condition that if I didn't like it they would re-order the same car with 6 speed for me. When I took delivery I was surprised how flexible and responsive it was, nothing like an automatic. I also drove one at the Porsche drivers school and was further impressed. Add to that is a low back problem that makes long sessions of using a clutch uncomfortable. Still drive my Sc from time to time and throughly enjoy it.

Well over the years I have come to enjoy the PDK more and more (only if you have the sport steering wheel with true paddles). Other wise the buttons get in the way. In fact like it so much I have it on the spyder also.

So to answer the question the manly thing of manual as in visible clutch is just that a manly ego thing the PDK is the way to go if you want quick precise shifts all the time. I flip it to the manual mode and paddle shift. On the track it is the only way to go as there is no repeat no threat of a missed down shift and the dreaded mechanical over rev. Face it, it is the future and the future is now.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:40 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Add to that is a low back problem that makes long sessions of using a clutch uncomfortable.
would you have stuck to manual if this was not an issue?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
would you have stuck to manual if this was not an issue?
Not sure, once you get over the stigma that some think it is an automatic it is a great transmission and through either the paddles or the shift lever you can interact as much with the car as you can with a 6speed and quicker. Then on those days when the traffic is stop and go for miles, just leave it in the auto mode and let the computer do its thing. I guess the answer is that once you see what it can do you tend to become a believer. My track car, when my back lets me track, is a '83 Sc that I row the gears in. That said, the times I have hada PDK on the track I was impressed.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:33 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I have driven both. The PDK is *way*'more fun to drive, IMO, it's not even close. I get the "I want to feel connected to my car" thing, but at this point, when I see folks arguing for the manual, I immediately think "poser". When I heard literally every instructor at the Porsche Driving School tell me they prefer the PDK over the manual, that was all the convincing I needed.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 PM
joey c
Pro

manual
Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Flyntgr
AutoX

Keep the replies coming, guys, these have been great. I expect to track my car next week (at NOLA) for the first time-a 2010 Boxster S PDK with sport/sport-plus Porsche dealer add-on and Softronic software.

I've been wondering how the sport-plus option works when left in "D", as compared with manual shifting in sport-plus(lever or paddles either one)? I feel like it's "cheating" to leave it in D with sport-plus, though some prefer Manual using the lever while others like the paddles. Which do you like best?

How do they shift the PDK at the Porsche driving school?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 929 Posts

MANUAL!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:53 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

The verdict is in, though, for track lap times: PDK.

note: I have a manual in my '11 Boxster S; I have a feeling that I'll get PDK for my next P-car.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, it's not a matter of whether PDK is faster (no doubt that it is), but more of how you want to engage/interact with the car. For me, a conventional stick shift transmission still fits the bill, as it has for every car I've ever owned.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 939 Likes on 441 Posts

Manual, but...they should have put a real 6th gear in the 981. The difference between 5th and 6th is about 400 rpm's. Can't help but wonder if they did this to give the more expensive PDK better gas mileage.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 PM
TwoMile
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manual.

I've driven PDK-equipped 981s, 997s and 991s and have been very impressed. The PDK is a well-engineered and well-executed automatic transmission. I'm sure I'd be faster, both in straight line acceleration and around the track, in a PDK-equipped car. But for me, the manual is more fun, and at the end of the day, the fun factor is what matters the most.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

I have probably read about a hundred threads on the internet about stick shift vs any automated manuals.

Stick shift, when the kid in you made the decision.

PDK, when the geek in you made the decision.

Stick shift, when you think with your wallet.

Stick shift, never have to justify or explain yourself.

PDK, when having the best matters.

For me, tradition and heritage resonate more with the Porsche brand than others. Having owned a 964, nostalgia probably was a factor. So I went with stick shift. But I am a total believer in dual clutch technologies.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
I have probably read about a hundred threads on the internet about stick shift vs any automated manuals.

Stick shift, when the kid in you made the decision.

PDK, when the geek in you made the decision.

Stick shift, when you think with your wallet.

Stick shift, never have to justify or explain yourself.

PDK, when having the best matters.

For me, tradition and heritage resonate more with the Porsche brand than others. Having owned a 964, nostalgia probably was a factor. So I went with stick shift. But I am a total believer in dual clutch technologies.
Awesome post. Well said.

Quick Reply: Do you prefer PDK or 6speed manual?