Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yup - IMS Failure :( Replacement advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:51 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
At this point, I'm not really sure what to do. In my moment of brilliance (being sarcastic here), I recycled the OEM drain plug and put it in (with a new crush washer). I carefully torqued it to 37 ft/lb and was successful without stripping the plug.

Well, now that I think of it, I should've put my finger in there and felt around to make sure that I didn't break any plastic pieces. I thought about taking the drain plug off again, but axed that idea since it's the only plug I've got right now and I don't want to strip it.....

So... the Spyder currently sits on 4 jack stands in the garage, its belly devoid of oil, not knowing what will come next.......................

Just saw this after you referred me to it. Is that the LN magnetic plug that broke? You found a way to get the crush washer off... I wonder why it failed like that? It should not have failed if you were torquing to spec. The pop was probably the drain plug fracturing. As long as the threads in the oil drain 'pan' weren't screwed up, you should be fine.

BTW, the oil filter is a little bit of a pain, but if you have the right oil filter wrench and long extension it should be a big deal.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:15 AM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

To the OP: I'm sure you have thought of this, but why not have a lawyer craft a lett er to the warranty company with a written mechanic's summary explaining the failure and cause, demanding coverage before you pursue litigation? It can't be too expensive for such an effort.

Charles- when so you expect the single row solution to be ready? Will it be installed exclusively at Flat 6?

Also, I had a LN mag drain plug that I bought from pelican that did not fit. It turned two revolutions and then I would have had to force it into the pan with a whole lot more than a reasonable amount of force. Pelican sent a new one immediately; hopefully they sent the first one back to you for some QC review.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Is that the LN magnetic plug that broke? You found a way to get the crush washer off... I wonder why it failed like that? It should not have failed if you were torquing to spec. The pop was probably the drain plug fracturing. As long as the threads in the oil drain 'pan' weren't screwed up, you should be fine.

BTW, the oil filter is a little bit of a pain, but if you have the right oil filter wrench and long extension it should be a big deal.
Yup, LN magnetic drain plug broke. I also think/hope that the pop was from the plug fracturing and not the baffle inside. Yeah, I had to run to Advance Auto for a 76 mm 14 flute filter wrench and a 10" extension, and "try" to return the new strap wrench that I'd bought (another topic).

So BED makes it 5 people now that I know of whose LN plugs didn't work....
Old 09-30-2012, 08:53 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Next oil change I will try the replacement mag drain plug. It is the "new " design with the recessed magnet. Maybe that had something to do with why the fit was off.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BED997
Next oil change I will try the replacement mag drain plug. It is the "new " design with the recessed magnet. Maybe that had something to do with why the fit was off.
BED, do you have a Gen 2 or Gen 1? The discussion got shifted elsewhere, but the newer magnetic drain plug did not fit my Gen 2 Spyder without the plastic "pop" sound happening. Appears to be hitting the baffle. Don't know if this is a general problem, but rubber_ducky and I had the same experience.

Quick Reply: Yup - IMS Failure :( Replacement advice please!