Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cayman vs 944/968 comparos

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:24 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default cayman vs 944/968 comparos

as the junior porsche, inevitably people refer to the potential for the cayman to be remembered like the 968/944 20 years down the line.

I would like to point out 1 major flaw in that line of thinking. the 944/968 is a front engine sweet handling rear drive chassis whereas the 911 is rear engined. There naturally exists a divergence in enthusiast support.

The 987 cayman is evolved from the 996/9997. They share the same chassis and the engine is located in a more balanced location. That's why the cayman will be remembered differently vs the 944/968 and in fact, with the 911 moving to a more GT oriented nature, the cayman will step into the sports car shoe catering solely to enthusiasts in the know. The fact that it is built on the same line at approximately the same cost to porsche shows how savvy cayman buyers are and in time, this will be the classic and not the 911. With the exception of the GT cars.

please tell me why my line of thinking is rubbish.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 911 faithful will never show any love for anything but the 911. The rest of us can love each model for their strengths. We will each have out favorites and give drivers of other models a bunch of crap just for fun.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:58 PM
terrym
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the pleasure of seeing Vic Elford speak two years ago in Eureka Springs. He claimed he never had a 911 break when he was racing it. When he took questions, one of the faithful asked which was his favorite Porsche now. He answered, "Cayman S. Oh yeah, and Cayenne GTS.". There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth.
I've owned a 944, two Boxster Ss, a Boxster Spyder, a 993, and two 996s. They are all unique and they are all Porsches.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

I personally think the most hardcore modern era porsche is the 996 Gt3 RS and the 996 mk 1 Gt3, both of which were not available in the U.S. I have driven a 1999 996 Gt3 clubsport but have never driven a 996 Gt3 RS. The defining feature, to me, of both cars is the roll cage which extends to the front dash. Yes, not only do you get a rear cage, you get the front portion as well. This car exuded race car bred vibes right down to it's ground skimming stance.

In my admittedly short testdrive, I amazingly didn't feel the CR was that far off the 996 Gt3 CS in terms of speed and agility. In fact, to me, they were equally fast. 13 years is a long long time in the automotive world but it simply shows how far the CR has come. The salesman, who was pretty handy with the gt3 remarked how much of a gem the CR was and how much confidence it gave him right from the first time he laid his hands on the steering wheel. There are prolly 300 Clubsports ever made and that's what makes it a legend (and the front rollcage bit)....

I still think about buying it.......
Old 09-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Super 90
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

azbanks, you shouldn't stereotype.... "The 911 faithful will never show any love for anything but the 911."

Patently incorrect, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I learned how to drive in a 912 when I was 12 years old and graduated to a 911SC daily driver that was flawless for 10 years of constant commuting. It's still going strong with a friend. Now I drive a Boxster S and love that one too. Its performance is far above that of the 911SC, and the handling is light years ahead. There's nothing NOT to love about a Boxster, and I assume a Cayman is what you'd call "similar"...

I wouldn't worry about what's going to be a "classic"... I'd just drive what you like!

I also wouldn't call any Porsche a Jr. Porsche... ! They all have their purpose. Like I wouldn't call a 356 Speedster a Junior, although many probably thought it was a bit spartan compared to the "upscale" models of the day. That's what a Boxster is - kind of spartan, but it has its purpose.

There you go - my opinion and everybody's got one!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni

I still think about buying it.......
that's about 5 months ago ...
Old 09-28-2012, 05:31 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Super 90
azbanks, you shouldn't stereotype.... "The 911 faithful will never show any love for anything but the 911."

Patently incorrect, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I learned how to drive in a 912 when I was 12 years old and graduated to a 911SC daily driver that was flawless for 10 years of constant commuting. It's still going strong with a friend. Now I drive a Boxster S and love that one too. Its performance is far above that of the 911SC, and the handling is light years ahead. There's nothing NOT to love about a Boxster, and I assume a Cayman is what you'd call "similar"...

I wouldn't worry about what's going to be a "classic"... I'd just drive what you like!

I also wouldn't call any Porsche a Jr. Porsche... ! They all have their purpose. Like I wouldn't call a 356 Speedster a Junior, although many probably thought it was a bit spartan compared to the "upscale" models of the day. That's what a Boxster is - kind of spartan, but it has its purpose.

There you go - my opinion and everybody's got one!
Super 90, I was talking about the hardcore "911 only" group. You(and I) can appreciate each model for what they are. We would be the 911 (un)faithful.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

The OP's original post said "Cayman vs. 968/944 comparo" so that's what I'll address here.

My 968 was a supremely comfortable and competent commuter car, with reasonably good gas mileage. Wish I could say the maintenance costs were low, but they weren't. This car gave me good and faithful service until I sold it with 172K miles.

I've used Boxsters (they're a good bit cheaper than Caymans, but it's basically the same car) as commuting cars with equally satisfactory results, albeit in a mid-engine configuration. The things I look for in a commuter car are all there - comfortable/supportive seats, good performance (braking, steering, acceleration, etc.), and fun to drive (all my Porsches have been stick shift, by the way). My gas mileage averages about 28 or 29 in mostly highway driving.

The 968 was good (real good, in fact) and I miss it, but the Boxster is a superior car in every way.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Thanks.

Was it an equally good drive, the 968?

how about the 968 clubsport? was it ever imported to the U.S?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i'm highly critical of the 968 Clubsport. i like the seat delete. but other than that, it's a nothing car imo (add abjectly offensive in the looks department). i don't think the 968's engine is strong enough to really make a marginally stripped car very attractive..... then why even own one ? because after you've purchased a 911 or Cayman, getting a 968 is a fantastic idea; the 968 makes the perfect beat-on P-car—truly the brand's best war-wagon (with 2 doors).

the 944 S2 seems to be a significant improvement over the earlier 944 variants, but overall, the 944 shouldn't be in a conversation with a Cayman. it's too dated, slow, crude, unreliable and undeveloped by comparison.... the biggest problem with the 944 is front end float; where the front end of the car goes squirly (scary) past 120~125 mph.... Porsche knew this and the 968 was developed in the wind tunnel and ultimately and produces mild downforce in the front; but, overall, the car is even better. it's the Tyrannosaurus rex of the 944/968 world. once you've gone to war with both, this will become obvious....

i drive my 968 everywhere, including long road trips about 22 k miles each year... a few years ago i read a scathing account given to our cars... i didn't fully agree with writer's libelous comments....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=Porsche%20968

Porsche 968 .......... 11 up, 153 down

Definition: Garbage. That Should be Set on Fire

What a huge waste of money for a car that doesn't even look like a Porsche.

Then, have fun paying to repair the f_cking piece of ****. In no time you'll have paid more in repairs than how much you

actually paid for the car which is way too overpriced.

Its not even that fast...its f_cking ****ty when you race a car that cost less than half of yours and they beat you.

Cruise control works when it wants to....

Leaks **** all the time.

So lets re-cap: Expensive, ugly, really ugly, unreliable...

How do I know all this? I USED TO HAVE ONE! WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE... "

(the definition has since, been replaced by a more kindhearted one).

still, some of what is written above is true. the cars can't hold ps fluid to save their ***.... if they get all their service, the engines are fantastic and you can run them hard... and make transcontinental trips with ease. if you keep the suspension bits fresh, the cars handle about as well as Caymans.... but the fact remains—maintenance and repairs of the engine's support components is pricey—all for stuff that you're going back to do too often....

my car has had 2 owners. the first owner put 77 k miles down and i've put on another 84 k for a total of 160 k miles... the car has cost about $20 k to maintain and repair since birth, and could probably do with about $8~30 k more of service to the engine, suspension and chassis (that i'm currently choosing to put off) in defference to the more critical maintenance items (like brakes, timing belts, tune ups, oil, and straight repairs when they become etc) and also because i'm swapping to Chevy power soon..... it's not a cheap car by any means. but i have absolutely no idea where it compares to a Cayman to keep on the road for say, 250 k miles. but, overall, the engineering platform is solid.

but i also own a 968 because after the seat delete,

you can stuff 3 surfboards over the passenger seat and about 8 duffle bags in the back....

Last edited by odurandina; 10-01-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

the op mentioned comparo's... i did one for a 968 vs 993 earlier today.

the year is 1997.

and you're engaged to marry a rich man's daughter....

one day the rich man says,

"______, i've chosen for you and my daughter the choice of selecting a special wedding gift..... but you have to take either one selection or the other.... and there are only 2 selections from which to choose......

"i'm offering to give you two 1995 Porsche 968 coupes, both with manual transaxle and limited-slip differential that i've got in a sealed container from 2 years ago.... one of them in Riviera Blue, and the other in Blood Orange...."

(as delivered these cars totaled just shy of 90 thousand dollars a couple of years ago)....

"the other selection is a new *1998 Porsche 911.... the car is nothing out of the ordinary. hasn't anything special in particular. no turbo. no sports seats or mag wheels... it's just a Porsche 911 that i've had them make in a color that i find particularly attractive—Riviera Blue."

(as delivered, this car totals just shy of 88 thousand dollars the day it arrives)....

*(the 911 used for the illustration above isn't much different than the 911 that came during the final model year of the 968, so you can't say it isn't from the same general time frame of the above mentioned 968s.... it is)...

which Porsche gift package would you choose ?

(what choice would you make then and now).

we don't get many low-mile 968s for sale. but this week we got lucky.

i can update the first illustration when the current sale is final.

an outake (if anyone cares) about 968 vs collectable Porsches vs collectable cars from earlier this year;

Originally Posted by odurandina

the word 'rare' is often used to describe a certain number of 968s on many of the threads on this forum... frankly, in the front engine 4, P-car world vs the real world, i'm suspicious.... just what exactly does 'rare' entail ? and if a car is rare how does that compare to other, so-called rare or collectable '80s and '90s cars of the post muscle-car era ?

i take a hard line about any rumours of advancing interest (from the public) that could someday send our car's values upward... so, i'm wondering,

is there really any evidence that this will someday occur ?

Jeff is doing is a great job and i appreciate the database he maintains. yet, i don't think Porsche could give two ****s about any of these cars. i've never seen a 968 shown in any contemporary, officially sanctioned Porsche exhibit or retro event...

with the booming economy of the Reagan-era in full swing, and sales looking pretty good, most of the '90s platforms were sitting on the drawing board, and an excited group of executives to go along.... i can't imagine the disappointment they must have been feeling just a few years later, after the '91 recession hit.... despite the accolades given to the Carrera 4, the early '90s didn't turn out to be so great considering the investments and innovations that had been made.... in the P-car world, we had the 968 and 993 updates, to go along with an newish (sort of), flagship, 928GTS...

....but, the 968 is somewhat of a parody. one thing; is the 968 really a '90s car ? it has leftover 944 styling mixed with some forward nine-five-nine and variocam... but, scant on other '90s tech updates...

so then; does the 968, 928 GTS or (993) end up taking up any space in the mindset of the enthusiast sports car collecting public out there ? well, despite high production, it turns out the purchase of a 993 was to become one of the best Porsche investments ever... it has barely lost any value since it arrived 18 years ago.... cars with very low miles command prices just below sticker. or even better for the coup de grâce of all the super, air/oil cooled 911s — that of course being the 1997 Turbo S (of which only something like 185 were made).

you can't say anything even remotely like this about the 968 or final edition of the 928.

there are scant collectable 968s... (and skipping right over all the Sports and CS cars), there are about 18 or 20 in all..... people have attempted reproductions, but the Porsche (968TS) parts cupboard is now bare..... i think Raj's car represents the truest form of enthusiast mod of any P-car i have ever seen or heard about, ever. surely, tops anything from the entire 20 year production run of front engine, 4 cylinder Porsches.... and technically, doesn't fall one fibre short of a production 968 TS or RS... in real street performance, it destroys all '80s-era prodution 911s, and with a top speed pushing 190 mph (seriously), and if we're talking about the late '80s/early '90s, with it's superior handling, Raj's Turbo S stands side by side with the two best air/oil-cooled 911s ever; the 959, and 1997 993 Turbo S.

yet it's odd — that most people have never heard of a Porsche 968 Turbo S or Turbo RS.

for the rest of us, things are considerably less spectacular..... show me 1 collectable 911 or flagship Porsche from the '80s or '90s besides the 993 and 959 that matters. things get measurably worse for 968s; in my opinion, neither the 968 CS or Sport holds any significance whatsoever in terms of collectability with the automotive buying public at large, and i have no inclination to think they ever will....

the truth, is that nobody in the automotive world (including Porsche) gives a crap about our cars.... in the end, it's a love fest in the lowly 944/968 neighborhood, with a few other P-car owners occasionally peeking in—but no more.... so pardon me, for being curt; there's no reason to get too caught up... if you're interested in getting one, buy any 968 that's been well cared for....

so, the results.... once again, there really is nothing special about this 993 and it's option package other than that it was simply ordered from the dealer in Riviera Blue. but, this should demonstrate how much of a gulf exists between n/a 968s and actual collectable Porsches.

the last and final day that a you could have purchased the 2 968s from two separate dealer lots in the US,

was probably sometime around late 1995 or early 1996....

and if it were between the 968 and 993,

the best choice that day would have been to buy a 993 with a pretty color.

the 968 and 993 i have listed in the auctions below have 13 k, and 12 k miles respectively.

thanks a lot for reading.

Attached Images   

Last edited by odurandina; 10-02-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

finally to address the main point made by the op....

i think the Cayman is the best overall car currently being offered by Porsche. but, the brand is jerking the Boxster/Cayman enthusiasts around on power—(just like they did with the 968 by keeping the 968 Turbo S as a rare production car).... in this way, i surely see a similarity between the two platforms... Porsche has been operating this pissy business model so long now that most of the motoring world is fine with it.

i'm not. why shouldn't there be a Cayman that can go 200 mph ? for years Ferrari built their cars not to go much faster than they could handle. the 308s, 28s, 48s and 512s all handled like crap, so they made damn sure they didn't go too fast.... but, with the F-40 and F-50, the cars could handle as well as they could go fast.... so they increased the speed.... they kept this model going with F-355s, 360s, and beyond...

this crap with the Cayman fitting in halfway between the 911 Carrera and the Boxster is effing bull****.... (after the Carrera GT), it's the best handling Porsche, ever. if you could buy a Corvette with a big motor, back in the day, for 350 dollars, but, dammit if you a Malibu that could go really fast, you could order that engine inside a Chevelle SS.... how come they can't do this with a Cayman ?

ahhh, maybe cuz they'd have to show their 911 customers how much they're getting ripped off.

how much more would it cost to put a 3.6 or even a 3.8 litre engine in all the Caymans ? $1,500 dollars ? 1,000 dollars ? i'd be willing to pay even more... but, then how much would Porsche gouge their customers ? it's the best Porsche car, but how does it become not only a classic like the 993 if there's no 200 mph car ?

pardon, that i forgot to mention is that the 968 and 993 i had listed in the auctions above

have 13 k, and 12 k miles respectively.

Last edited by odurandina; 10-02-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

thanks for the post. I often wondered if the 987 cayman and boxster is going to go the way of the 944S2/968 and wiedeking was the culprit behind the very quick deaths of the 968 turbo S but I'll be honest... i have never heard of a 968 turbo RS until now.

in 20 years, if someone were to ask me if I would have bought a boxster spyder and a cayman R vs a 997.2 GT3 for the same money. I hope to swat away that question with the fact that i got to enjoy 2 ultimate mid engine cars of the era for different occasions and actually for different purposes. The spyder is used for country driving while the cayman R is used predominantly for the track.

no doubt, the 997.2 gt3 could be worth triple what the 2 987s are worth and be in the same situation posted above regarding the 993 and the 968s but personally, i would have been happy to at least have the choice of driving which during the preceding 20 years.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
The spyder is used for country driving while the cayman R is used predominantly for the track.
your poor cars not used nearly enough ..
Old 10-02-2012, 02:21 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sfo
your poor cars not used nearly enough ..
I rather you not spoil my perfect illusion

I pretend i use them enough but with 2 daughters........

Quick Reply: cayman vs 944/968 comparos