Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yup - IMS Failure :( Replacement advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:29 PM
cafulford
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yup - IMS Failure :( Replacement advice please!

Well, it happened to me. What I was most concerned about and why I almost did not buy a Porsche. The IMS went and completely trashed the engine. As everyone here probably knows, 17k + labor for replacement from Porsche.

I purchased a power warranty from Interstate National Dealer Services and after inspection they said because the external bolt that leads to the IMS bearing was broken off, that that was the problem and they do not cover it because it was not an internally lubricated part. I have the best Porsche mechanic in Southwest Virginia who has worked on well over 1000 Porsche engines and has over 40 years experience telling them otherwise. I sense I will have to get a lawyer involved. I write this only to let everyone know that all these aftermarket insurance companies are weasels and to avoid this one at all costs.

But my question lies in my search for a less expensive alternative to a new Porsche engine. I am trying to do research on my own before I approach my mechanic.

Are all of the engines from 2005 - 2008 interchangeable? In other words, can I take a 2008 Cayman S engine and drop it in without any issues in my 2005? I found several places on the web that sells engines and has various years available from 2005 - 2008 and they say they will fit unmodified. Obviously, if I can search fro 4 years of engines instead of 1, I will have a better chance of finding one. I also know the later the year the better chance of another engine failure happening because of the same IMS problem.

Thanks so much in advance for your reply. I really appreciate it!

A very sad Porsche owner at the moment,

Charlie
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Actually, the bearing failed first which caused the bolt to break. Whether or not the bearing is internally lubed would be the sticking point here.

Yes, a 2006-2008 Cayman S 3.4 or 2007-2008 Boxster S 3.4 will pop right in there. You have to reflash your ecu. If you use a Cayman S engine and wiring harness you need to make a couple minor mods.

It is a piece of cake and a huge upgrade over your (I'm assuming) 2.7.

Originally Posted by cafulford
Well, it happened to me. What I was most concerned about and why I almost did not buy a Porsche. The IMS went and completely trashed the engine. As everyone here probably knows, 17k + labor for replacement from Porsche.

I purchased a power warranty from Interstate National Dealer Services and after inspection they said because the external bolt that leads to the IMS bearing was broken off, that that was the problem and they do not cover it because it was not an internally lubricated part. I have the best Porsche mechanic in Southwest Virginia who has worked on well over 1000 Porsche engines and has over 40 years experience telling them otherwise. I sense I will have to get a lawyer involved. I write this only to let everyone know that all these aftermarket insurance companies are weasels and to avoid this one at all costs.

But my question lies in my search for a less expensive alternative to a new Porsche engine. I am trying to do research on my own before I approach my mechanic.

Are all of the engines from 2005 - 2008 interchangeable? In other words, can I take a 2008 Cayman S engine and drop it in without any issues in my 2005? I found several places on the web that sells engines and has various years available from 2005 - 2008 and they say they will fit unmodified. Obviously, if I can search fro 4 years of engines instead of 1, I will have a better chance of finding one. I also know the later the year the better chance of another engine failure happening because of the same IMS problem.

Thanks so much in advance for your reply. I really appreciate it!

A very sad Porsche owner at the moment,

Charlie
Old 09-13-2012, 01:56 PM
cafulford
4th Gear

Thank you for the reply. I actually have the 3.2 S but while I am at it, I figured I would look to see if I could put something a little better/newer in. I found a place called Los Angeles Dismantlers that have engines for 7-9k. At that price with labor to put it in, I will "only" be out 11-12k. That makes it worth fixing vs. 20k which really does not.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:05 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the reply. I actually have the 3.2 S but while I am at it, I figured I would look to see if I could put something a little better/newer in. I found a place called Los Angeles Dismantlers that have engines for 7-9k. At that price with labor to put it in, I will "only" be out 11-12k. That makes it worth fixing vs. 20k which really does not.
Ahh I see. You already have an "S". The 3.4 is still a nice upgrade.

The 07/08 generation does have the latest, best ims design. The downside is if you want to change or upgrade it the engine cases have to be split. Thats a big dealio.

Be wary of that seller, lots of internet chatter on them.

If you decide to cut the car loose "as-is" lots of peeps would be interested. Put me at the front of the line please

The '07 3.4 in my '05 987 runs like a champ and makes me grin every time I turn the key. Here she is after eleventy billion upgrades.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:19 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, all 2005-2008 engines will fit in your car. Even 911 engines will fit with some modification. LA Dismantlers can reportedly be a mixed bag (no personal experience). Search around, as I know of one person who got a 2008 Cayman S Club Sport engine for $5,500 (installed for less than $10,000 total). He got it from Napleton Porsche when a customer upgraded to a 3.8 L 911 engine. You're more likely to find things like this from shops and dealers that do a lot of performance work.

Kie, I was under the impression that 2006-2008 Boxsters got improved IMS bearing and RMS. Is this not correct? I thought 2006 was included because there have been people with 2005's (which I consider a "change-over MY") where the improved IMSB was discovered upon dropping the transmission. One guy on another forum purportedly even asked Porsche before doing this, only to find that he couldn't upgrade the IMSB from the outside. My indy has had a 2005 911 (I believe) with the same scenario.

To recap, I had thought that 2006-08 have upgraded IMSB and RMS, whereas 2005's = who knows.

Last edited by the_vetman; 09-25-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Good chance I could be wrong as far as 2006 987 engines go. I thought only the 2007 and onwards engines had the latest/most developed ims that required case splitting in order to change. If in fact there have been 2005 cars found with the newest ims then that pretty much says it all.

So there you go op... source any year 987.1 3.4 and you are golden. If your tech has never done one he will laugh when he sees how easy it is.

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Yes, all 2005-2008 engines will fit in your car. Even 911 engines will fit with some modification. LA Dismantlers can reportedly be a mixed bag (no personal experience). Search around, as I know of one person who got a 2008 Cayman S Club Sport engine for $5,500 (installed for less than $9,000 total). He got it from Napleton Porsche when a customer upgraded to a 3.8 L 911 engine. You're more likely to find things like this from shops and dealers that do a lot of performance work.

Kie, I was under the impression that 2006-2008 Boxsters got improved IMS bearing and RMS. Is this not correct? I thought 2006 was included because there have been people with 2005's (which I consider a "change-over MY") where the improved IMSB was discovered upon dropping the transmission. One guy on another forum purportedly even asked Porsche before doing this, only to find that he couldn't upgrade the IMSB from the outside. My indy has had a 2005 911 (I believe) with the same scenario.

To recap, I had thought that 2006-08 have upgraded IMSB and RMS, whereas 2005's = who knows.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:20 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kiesan
Good chance I could be wrong as far as 2006 987 engines go. I thought only the 2007 and onwards engines had the latest/most developed ims that required case splitting in order to change. If in fact there have been 2005 cars found with the newest ims then that pretty much says it all.
Thanks for the clarification.

IIRC - though I could be wrong - there was a 2nd IMS upgrade in 2007 or 2008 cars. I thought I heard that from a reliable source, read it in Panorama, or something like that... Perhaps that's what you were thinking of?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 PM
cafulford
4th Gear

All, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I actually looked into Goodwill but because I am not the original owner, I am the 2nd, they would not consider it.

I did not know the IMS were different in newer models...I have since spoken to Jack Raby at Flat 6 Innovations and he said he has gotten 2008 models that had the failure although he did say it was drastically reduced in 2007 and 2008. I guess that would explain the upgraded bearing.

I found a few other places with engines, one of them not far from me in NC called dC Automotive. They havea couple engines, 1 of them rebuilt. Any thoughts on rebuilt?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I actually looked into Goodwill but because I am not the original owner, I am the 2nd, they would not consider it.

I did not know the IMS were different in newer models...I have since spoken to Jack Raby at Flat 6 Innovations and he said he has gotten 2008 models that had the failure although he did say it was drastically reduced in 2007 and 2008. I guess that would explain the upgraded bearing.

I found a few other places with engines, one of them not far from me in NC called dC Automotive. They havea couple engines, 1 of them rebuilt. Any thoughts on rebuilt?
The last version of the IMSB was installed at the factory starting early 2005 until it was eliminated from all engines. I wouldn't do anything to your car until you force the warranty co to pay for repairs. What did Jake Raby say about that?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

The first thought I have on a rebuilt engine is who did the rebuild? What is the rep of the rebuilder?

Google the engine rebuilder's name/shop name and see what turns up.

Really an engine is not that difficult to rebuild, but it does take considerable knowledge, experience, and desire to do it properly. If done properly the rebuilt engine is as good as new and in some cases if the engine is "blueprinted" it can be better than new, on par with the best engine out of a number of engines the factory has produced and maybe even better than any the factory ever produced.

Then there is the warranty on the rebuild. If this doesn't exist the rep of the rebuilder becomes even more important, or suspect.

If there is a warranty you need a copy in writing.

Of course you are not only buying the quality of the rebuild but the willingness/ability of the shop to stand behind the rebuild should something go amiss.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Hey, bud. I saw this response on another forum as well, but just wanted to mention, how about at least getting PCNA to tell your aftermarket warranty company that they're flat-out wrong (and therefore should cover the repair)?

PCNA should be able to tell them that it's not the outside bolt that fails first, but the bearing itself... unless they just don't want to get involved in such and don't want to admit to IMSB troubles on record.

Best wishes,
Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
The last version of the IMSB was installed at the factory starting early 2005 until it was eliminated from all engines. I wouldn't do anything to your car until you force the warranty co to pay for repairs. What did Jake Raby say about that?
I have heard from many sources that the IMS was improved for 2006 models and again for 2008 models. Are you certain that the last update was in 05?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Hey, bud. I saw this response on another forum as well, but just wanted to mention, how about at least getting PCNA to tell your aftermarket warranty company that they're flat-out wrong (and therefore should cover the repair)?

PCNA should be able to tell them that it's not the outside bolt that fails first, but the bearing itself... unless they just don't want to get involved in such and don't want to admit to IMSB troubles on record.Best wishes,
Maybe at the dealer level, above that, fugetabouit
Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I have heard from many sources that the IMS was improved for 2006 models and again for 2008 models. Are you certain that the last update was in 05?
THE Source says so : Lnengineering.com
Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
THE Source says so : Lnengineering.com
I haven't read LN's website closely in a while, but I can tell you that not everything on there is correct. In fact, I specifically tested some out on my own car and can say that they're wrong. Their website also has info (at least used to) that blue-painted engines mean remanufactured and welded by Porsche. This has been debunked.

On another forum, there's currently a thread with LN engineering magnetic drain plugs not fitting 9A1 engines, at least 2 engines that I know of. LN says that they're universal. When contacted, their response has so far been "well, it fit in our Cayman" or "due to hard anodized coating".

LN manufactures very good products. But it doesn't mean they're infallible.

Quick Reply: Yup - IMS Failure :( Replacement advice please!