Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trackday video from Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:28 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Trackday video from Thunderhill

Hey guys, I thought I'd share with you some videos I made from my last track day at thunderhill this past Sunday.

This first video is my 'creative' video. Spyder enthusiasts should recognize the music.

This second video is of one of my runs.

Not exactly my best driving ever. In fact, my times were pretty bad this time. This was my first time at the track with my new master cylinder setup. I was concentrating on finally being able to heel-toe the car. As a result, my braking point, turning points, and entry speeds suffered. But hey, I can finally heel-toe now!!! This sport is so addicting. Now I'm dying to go back to correct my deficiencies.

In regards to the setup:
1) goproHD2 mounted on front rennline towhook facing forward
2) goproHD2 mounted on inside of windshield to face me
3) camsports HDmax extreme facing rear
4) external mic from camsports camera clipped behind the license plate (makes it sound better than the real thing!)
5) AiM solo DL datalogger through CAN line connection
6) Trackvision software
7) Adobe premiere elements 10
Old 03-25-2012, 10:12 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow; great set-up. Love the look!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks!
Here are two more:

Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

Joe -

Very nice videos, well done! Love all the telemetry and overlays.

I am at Infineon on Tuesday with the new MPSC's and a bit more aggressive alignment. Can't wait.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:25 PM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are some cool vids Joe!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool videos.
But man, the harness setup with our Spyders rollbar is so wrong. Way too high of mounting. I guess if you are tracking, that is all you can do.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redyps
Joe -

Very nice videos, well done! Love all the telemetry and overlays.

I am at Infineon on Tuesday with the new MPSC's and a bit more aggressive alignment. Can't wait.
MMMmmm.. MPSC's very nice. How much camber are you running now? Did you get adjustable LCAs installed yet?

Originally Posted by MelanomaMan
Those are some cool vids Joe!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Plavan
Cool videos.
But man, the harness setup with our Spyders rollbar is so wrong. Way too high of mounting. I guess if you are tracking, that is all you can do.
Yeah, it's not perfect, but I think it's still better than the factory 3 point. The 6 points feel great, and going back to the 3points afterwards on the drive home feels like you're strapped to nothing. There's no easy solution do the high mounting point issue other than growing a longer trunk. But then your head might go over the top of the roll bar...
Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Wink

Joe -

Camber is -.48 and -.49 in the front and -1.53 and -2.0 in the rear so I still have plenty to go with the stock setup. Will continue to tweak it after Infineon and before Laguna. Manni at Livermore Porsche has been great to work with. I think that many guys forget to routinely get their alignment checked after a couple of track days. The toe on mine was out on three wheels (too many corner bermshttps://rennlist.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif)!

Plavan -

I think you are spot on. I spoke with one of the guys at Schroth at length about mounting the shoulder straps on the base of the Boxster roll hoops. He said it was wrong and ends up putting all the force on your spine. He said the better solution is 1) a guide bar below the seat belt passage through the seat with a mount point on the floor, or 2) a harness bar welded between the two upright posts coming up from the floor.

I then spoke with Tony at TC Design in Milpitas who is a great fabricator and he said he never likes the guide bar approach and said a harness bar should be welded in.

I have also talked with the guys at BK about their roll bar extension. Yes it is a bolt on but you need to pull off the OEM padding on the roll hoops. I looked at the parts schematic for the padding and it showed 3 pins on the vinyl covers that push through the padding and into the holes in the hoops. Apparently the pins are not re-usable. I have yet to talk to someone who has real experience removing and re-installing them.

So net/net still not great solutions to improve roll over protection in our spyders!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Phil, -.48/-.49 camber up front is not enough. You can't get much more camber than that up front in the stock setup. I'd hate to see the front of your new MPSCs get destroyed quickly. I'm running -2.0 up front now, and guys like bensf and thekane are running even more aggressive than that and are finding outer edge wear still.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe -

Plavan -

I think you are spot on. I spoke with one of the guys at Schroth at length about mounting the shoulder straps on the base of the Boxster roll hoops. He said it was wrong and ends up putting all the force on your spine. He said the better solution is 1) a guide bar below the seat belt passage through the seat with a mount point on the floor, or 2) a harness bar welded between the two upright posts coming up from the floor.

I then spoke with Tony at TC Design in Milpitas who is a great fabricator and he said he never likes the guide bar approach and said a harness bar should be welded in.

I have also talked with the guys at BK about their roll bar extension. Yes it is a bolt on but you need to pull off the OEM padding on the roll hoops. I looked at the parts schematic for the padding and it showed 3 pins on the vinyl covers that push through the padding and into the holes in the hoops. Apparently the pins are not re-usable. I have yet to talk to someone who has real experience removing and re-installing them.

So net/net still not great solutions to improve roll over protection in our spyders!
Remember we can't use the BK rollbar extension.
1. The rear lid (humps) are hinged to the rollbar and the rear deck would be raised also (would not work)
2. The top would not fit (raised mounting points on the rollbar)

So there is a market for some type of harness bar that connects and runs behind the seats.

I personally would rather use the stock seatbelt, rather than a harness with the Spyder. Spinal Compression fractures would hurt!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:37 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Phil, -.48/-.49 camber up front is not enough. You can't get much more camber than that up front in the stock setup. I'd hate to see the front of your new MPSCs get destroyed quickly. I'm running -2.0 up front now, and guys like bensf and thekane are running even more aggressive than that and are finding outer edge wear still.
Joe -

I hear ya. I hope that one track day doesn't destroy them but I am concerned. I don't know what the max camber is for the stock setup but the specified range (to stay in the green) allows it to go to -1.0 in the front. I was told it can go higher with the stock LCAs but I have not heard what that limit is. Do you know?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Plavan
Remember we can't use the BK rollbar extension.
1. The rear lid (humps) are hinged to the rollbar and the rear deck would be raised also (would not work)
2. The top would not fit (raised mounting points on the rollbar)

So there is a market for some type of harness bar that connects and runs behind the seats.

I personally would rather use the stock seatbelt, rather than a harness with the Spyder. Spinal Compression fractures would hurt!
Plavan -

It is my understanding that the BK roll bar extension mounts forward of the roll hoops so I don't believe there is any impact to the hinges and the raising and lowering of the trunk lid

And yes, once the extension is installed you cannot put the top on.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice.. And that track condition looks awesome .. In Lap 10 .. Was that Ferrari that rockets through ?

Thanks for sharing.. Love to try this one day..
Old 03-25-2012, 05:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Joe -

I hear ya. I hope that one track day doesn't destroy them but I am concerned. I don't know what the max camber is for the stock setup but the specified range (to stay in the green) allows it to go to -1.0 in the front. I was told it can go higher with the stock LCAs but I have not heard what that limit is. Do you know?
From my understanding, the maximum front camber that you can run on the stock LCAs is what you've got, about -.49. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? With the softer tread compound, I've heard of guys trashing their MPSCs after only 1-2 track days because of the lack of camber. I wore through the outer tread on my PS2s after only 2 track days.

Originally Posted by mzn50
Nice.. And that track condition looks awesome .. In Lap 10 .. Was that Ferrari that rockets through ?

Thanks for sharing.. Love to try this one day..
You must be talking about the red race car behind me in my avatar. I can't remember what the heck it is. Phil or Ben: do you know?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

It's a Radical.

Quick Reply: Trackday video from Thunderhill