Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trackday video from Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Racing is like golf, good days and not so good. That is the challenge that makes us come back again and again, so any day at the track is a good day!

We are driven by challenges!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:46 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks!

I'm not disputing anything you're saying, but doesn't the presence of an airbag negate some of these concerns? Airbags lower the rate of cervical spine injuries, which is what we are worried about here when using a HANS. If I had a pure race car with no airbags, that would be a different story altogether.

Keep in mind here, that I'm just there to have fun. I don't compete, I don't do open passing. I'm still running street tires! I just think I'd look kind of silly showing up to an HPDE (I don't race) with a HANS device wearing a t-shirt underneath. Now I need to get a race suit? Now I look even more dumb than I usually do at an HPDE.

The 6point was purchased to lock me into the seat better so I don't have to fight against the G-forces and make my driving easier. Besides, those pass throughs built into the sport buckets demanded to be used.
Great videos! Car sounds incredible!
Not to beat a dead horse and derail your thread, but lithium's points are very valid. Your head and neck don't care if you're running a casual DE or racing in LeMans; a frontal impact at speed can paralyze or kill you regardless. Wearing a harness without a HANS is just a bad idea.

BTW, you an orthopod?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
BTW, you an orthopod?
Yup. I've been having conversations about this HANS issue with other fellow 'pods' who track with me. We're all being 'boneheads' about it.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:07 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yup. I've been having conversations about this HANS issue with other fellow 'pods' who track with me. We're all being 'boneheads' about it.
Well, heck then. You should know about cervical spine and basal skull injuries. Even I'm aware and I'm just a silly upper extremity surgeon
Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Oh yes. I am fully aware. Like I said, we're being boneheads.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

Joe -

I spoke at length with the guys at Schroth about shoulder belt positions and HANS. They stated that if the shoulder belts were NOT mounted between 0-20 degrees below the shoulders (with a clear pass through the seat backs) or had a guide bar below the shoulders with a floor mount point a HANS would actually exacerbate the problem. They put over 3 months into engineering of any potential change e.g., a harness cross bar (which requires a 6,000 lb load) so I have confidence that what products they offer and what advice they provide is well founded...
Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your head and neck don't care if you're running a casual DE or racing in LeMans
Funny how I see this as the thread "up" and the video title caught my attention. So for only the second time in nearly 30 years of doing this, I had a car damaging off at Laguna a week-and-a-half ago. Never know when it will step up and bite you. Apologies for the amateur hour video, but it's the extent of my capability/interest.

Front view: http://youtu.be/yOiFU-uHkoQ

Rear view: http://youtu.be/n8gWMlZmn18 (only last few seconds are relevant, there was no one behind me)

And something dicing it up from Thunderhill last summer.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

^^Jeez. Hopefully you're all in one piece. What happened to the car?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:08 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^Jeez. Hopefully you're all in one piece. What happened to the car?
Honestly, not much. Broken suspension arms in addition to the dented rear quarter. And a cracked transaxle case. But I've got a spare, so it's just a matter of spending a day swapping the gearsets.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2012, 04:41 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redyps
Joe -

I spoke at length with the guys at Schroth about shoulder belt positions and HANS. They stated that if the shoulder belts were NOT mounted between 0-20 degrees below the shoulders (with a clear pass through the seat backs) or had a guide bar below the shoulders with a floor mount point a HANS would actually exacerbate the problem. They put over 3 months into engineering of any potential change e.g., a harness cross bar (which requires a 6,000 lb load) so I have confidence that what products they offer and what advice they provide is well founded...
Phil, am I understanding you correctly? Are you saying that with the higher mounting point of my shoulder straps, using a HANS would be a BAD idea?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

Yes, that is exactly what Schroth told me.

Quick Reply: Trackday video from Thunderhill