Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mower deck license plate bracket question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
its about time...
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mower deck license plate bracket question

I got the mower axle deck bracket so I wouldn't have to drill my front bumper. the kit doesn't come with a license plate frame, though, and I'm wondering if I need one? does anyone have comments on the pro's/con's of putting a frame around the license plate?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I have a similar product from US Millworks and I find that the frame isn't necessary. It looks complete as is with just the plate and and draws less attention.

Not to self incriminate but I actually keep mine off except when I go for year inspections, thus far I haven't been pulled over for no plates.

I hope to have my bracket up for sale soon as I don't think I will be needing it anymore.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the mower axle deck bracket and I'm very happy with it. I intially thought about a plate frame but decided not to. I think a plate frame would draw more attention to it. In addition, the original screws that come with the bracket are quite short, so you would probably need to get another set of screws if you want to use a plate frame.

Here is a quick photo of the car with the plate/mower axle bracket in place. I just wouldn't want any black or chrome outline bringing more attention to the plate.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 AM
its about time...
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
I have the mower axle deck bracket and I'm very happy with it. I intially thought about a plate frame but decided not to. I think a plate frame would draw more attention to it. In addition, the original screws that come with the bracket are quite short, so you would probably need to get another set of screws if you want to use a plate frame.

Here is a quick photo of the car with the plate/mower axle bracket in place. I just wouldn't want any black or chrome outline bringing more attention to the plate.

Wow, no better way to see what the plate will look like on my RS60! Thanks for a perfect preview, Dino944
Old 02-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944

It looks like these use the tow hook hole. Is that correct? If so, which one of these is better.

ALSO - does the mounting plate scratch the bumper where it makes contact?

Thanks in advance.
Charlie
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charlie C
It looks like these use the tow hook hole. Is that correct? If so, which one of these is better.

Thanks in advance.
Charlie
Charlie,

Both products are very good, you won't go wrong with either. I liked the US Millworks since it is made of aluminum with black anodizing which helps to blend it in with my black paint. It included all necessary parts including the stainless screws to hold everything together. It is very well built but so is the mower deck product.

The tow hook extension is long enough to place the plate mounting bracket away from the bumper so it doesn't scratch or even touch. There will be a gap between the bumper and the mounting bracket. IMHO it is a good alternative to drilling the bumpers. I personally only put mine on when I need to, the rest of the time it sits in the garage.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C

Thanks in advance.
Charlie
The plate/plate holder don't make contact with the bumper. You remove the tow hook plug and an aluminum arm screws into the tow hook hole. It doesn't touch the bumper. It attaches to a very solid billet aluminum rectangular plate that is nearly the size of the license plate, so your plate won't bend or hit the bumper at high speeds.

As for color so little of it is visible it wasn't a concern of mine when I purchased it. Although, if it matters too you the mower plate holder is silver in color.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Charlie,

Both products are very good, you won't go wrong with either. I liked the US Millworks since it is made of aluminum with black anodizing which helps to blend it in with my black paint. It included all necessary parts including the stainless screws to hold everything together. It is very well built but so is the mower deck product.

The tow hook extension is long enough to place the plate mounting bracket away from the bumper so it doesn't scratch or even touch. There will be a gap between the bumper and the mounting bracket. IMHO it is a good alternative to drilling the bumpers. I personally only put mine on when I need to, the rest of the time it sits in the garage.
I just ordered mine from US Millworks. I like the fact that it is black and will blend in better on my Black Edition Boxster S. I went with the standard one, not the lightened one. I figured for the sake of a few ounces of weight, I wanted the rigidity of the non drilled one.

FYI: On my MA car, I use my old green letter license plate because with the green lettered plates, there was no front plate given. So on my MA car, I don't need "no stickin' front plate".

Thanks again for the info.
Charlie
Old 03-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

A Green Plate is very rare in MA, you're lucky to have one!

Mine doesn't have the front plate except for inspections and so far I haven't had an issue.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:00 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got a ticket for no front plate, while PARKED in Westwood. Good news is it's only $10 if you take a photo with the plate on.

I chose to go with Rennline's mounting system.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: mower deck license plate bracket question