Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed popping out of 2nd Gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 PM
mbodo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed popping out of 2nd Gear

Noticed the transmission popping out of second gear starting right before turkey day... missed my %^&$! appointment to bring it in, and its gotten a little worse.

doesn't do it under hard accelleration but does do it if you're cruising in the parking lot or under deceleration ... any ideas what these guys will have to do in order to fix it - i.e. do they do any sort of transmission repair at the dealer, or do they simply box it up and swap it out for a new one?
Old 12-07-2007, 03:50 PM
mbodo
Racer

Well i guess I'm the only one experiencing this on the forum, or the only one who's posted about it :-P

A mid-cycle update: After the dealer adjusted a few things, and checked a few cables, they called Porsche and were told to replace the transmission.

I've inquired with the service manager as to whether or not he will be able to install a lightweight flywheel while the transmission is out, as this is a very opportune time. He said he'd "get back to me" (thinking that is a NO). Obvious issues they have to deal with but I'm sure they can come up with something. Just wish they'd call back with the answer .. in case it's yes, and I have to expedite ship the flywheel...
Old 12-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably a bent shifter fork. They really don't rebuld anything at the dealers anymore. I remember they days at the Porsche dealer when they'd have a motor or 2 torn down for a re-build. Now only the independent shops do that.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:38 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

The dealer did it for me.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:32 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Probably a bent shifter fork. They really don't rebuld anything at the dealers anymore. I remember they days at the Porsche dealer when they'd have a motor or 2 torn down for a re-build. Now only the independent shops do that.
Porsche sent all the required tools to the dealers so repairs are now possible for the 9x6 Getrag 6 speeds. Also M96 engines are being rebuilt now as long as there isnt any substantial damange to the case/cylinders/pistons.

Last edited by PTEC; 01-16-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:38 PM
fdss
Advanced

I thought this only happens to 996tt's.
Anyway, there is an interesting thread on 6speedonline. It may apply to you.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:39 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any update on this type of problem? The OP described it exactly.

Wife's daily driver. 2005 Boxster S 6 speed. Factory short shift option. 135K miles. It never pops out of 2nd gear while accelerating. It randomly pops out when slowing down in 2nd gear. All other gears are fine. In the instant before it actually pops out of 2nd gear you can feel something starting to bind up in the rear. CV joints seem fine but they have lots of miles.

Dealer says replace on this unit. They don't try and rebuild something this old. I checked the 996 tt thread. Seems like a workable solution except the Boxster S 6 speed is different and doesn't seem to have the same 2nd gear detent access port.

She's driving around the problem for the time being. Just looking for info & options at this point.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

It is an age and wear issue. Unfortunately the dealer isn't being 100% straight with you. The reason they don't rebuild them is because Porsche has never released service parts for them. You can't buy more than a couple seals and a bearing. No major wear components. So they sell you a factory reman gearbox.

Mike Bavarro at Body Motion and a Bill Rader Motorsports can service them. They figured out how to get the Audi equivalent parts for rebuilding.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:37 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bill gets a fair amount of 944 gearbox rebuilds from us NW 944 racers but given the current value of the Boxster I'm not sure it's worth the cost of his services. Besides I don't want the Boxster sitting on my lift for months waiting for its transmission to get rebuilt. The Boxster is late production 2005 & doesn't have the IMS bearing problem so I need to decide how much money & effort to put into the transmission. Maybe a core swap for a rebuilt unit might be the answer. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by markl951; 10-02-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:29 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by markl951
Bill gets a fair amount of 944 gearbox rebuilds from us NW 944 racers but given the current value of the Boxster I'm not sure it's worth the cost of his services. Besides I don't want the Boxster sitting on my lift for months waiting for its transmission to get rebuilt. The Boxster is late production 2005 & doesn't have the IMS bearing problem so I need to decide how much money & effort to put into the transmission. Maybe a core swap for a rebuilt unit might be the answer. Thanks for the info.
Bill does 48-72 hour turn around on everything. They are Audi parts and they are cheaper than something like 997 Carrera parts. I don't know anyone doing a core exchange but you might try CMS.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fdss
I thought this only happens to 996tt's.
Anyway, there is an interesting thread on 6speedonline. It may apply to you.
This was a syncro issue, correct? Seemed many 996TT folk were effected.

To the OP -- do you have a short shirt kit installed? IIRC, a number of people surmised it was related to the SSKs.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:36 PM
km3
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From all of these posts I cannot tell the true outcome. I bought a 04 996tt cabriolet last year with only 8k miles (that's right only 8k). I am having the pop out of 2nd issue under the same circumstances. But with only 8k it can't be wear. Is it fixable?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:06 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Maybe not normal wear but a poor shifting previous owner can easily damage a transmission in only eight thousand.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:20 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by km3
From all of these posts I cannot tell the true outcome. I bought a 04 996tt cabriolet last year with only 8k miles (that's right only 8k). I am having the pop out of 2nd issue under the same circumstances. But with only 8k it can't be wear. Is it fixable?
You are cross pollinating. The 987 and 996tt are totally and completely unrelated.

Your 996tt sounds like it might suffer from the infamous pop out issues for that car. But before ou do anything else change the oil. With that kind of mileage I would bet you have 13 year old gear oil in there. It might be the root problem and you might not need go any further.

Quick Reply: 6 speed popping out of 2nd Gear