Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you order Preferred Package (Option PPA) with your BASE Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:00 AM
98carrera4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you order Preferred Package (Option PPA) with your BASE Boxster?

I ordered my 2008 Base Boxster on Saturday, and got a September build allocation secured. Whoohoo! But...Murphy's Law being what it is, I discovered a discrepancy between the 2007 Order Guide and the 2007 Boxster/S brochure on Sunday night. Dammit! I can't imagine I'm the first person to run into this...There's still time to change my order, but I wanted to try to get to the bottom of the discrepancy before asking my dealer to alter the vehicle spec.
Can anyone who ordered the Preferred Package (Option PPA) on a Base Boxster please confirm which stereo system was actually delivered with your car? Was it Sound Package Plus, or Bose?
Description from the 2007 Boxster/S Order Guide. There's only one entry for PPA, and the price is listed as $1,990 for the Boxster, and $2,190 for the Boxster S (not sure why it would be a less expensive package on the base model).
PPA Preferred Package: Includes Wheel Caps with Colored Crest (446), Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor (P12), Bose Sound System (680), Heated Seats (342), Floor Mats in Interior Color (M6Z).
Description from the 2007 Boxster/S Brochure. There are two entries, both with option code PPA. The two are distinguished by a difference in the stereo system, depending on whether the car is a Boxster or Boxster S.
Preferred Package (for Boxster, option code PPA): Wheel Caps with Colored Crest, Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor, Sound Package Plus, Heated Seats, Floor Mats in Interior Color.

Preferred Package (for Boxster S, option code PPA): Wheel Caps with Colored Crest, Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor, Bose Sound System, Heated Seats, Floor Mats in Interior Color.
Did Porsche screw up, or am I missing something? It's annoying that the same option code applies to two different sets of things depending on the car you choose. I ordered PPA because the official order guide said it included Bose in the Base Boxster spec. If true, the package represents a great deal. On the other hand, if the base model comes with Sound Package Plus, I'd be better off ordering the options I want (wheel caps, heated seats, Bose) a la carte.

I'd appreciate any confirmation of the sound system that was actually delivered with PPA from those of you with Base model Boxsters who had ordered it. That should help me figure out the discrepancy. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

The Boxster S comes standard with Sound Package Plus, so with PPA it gets the Bose, whereas the base Boxster gets the SP+ (with PPB, you get Bose on the base Boxster). This also explains why option PPA is more expensive on the S than the base. If you are wanting to have Bose, I would suggest PPB, as it also includes the Bi Xenons.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 AM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 42 Posts

correct . the S already has sound pkg plus std. the base does not .
Old 07-02-2007, 05:53 PM
98carrera4S
Advanced

Thanks very much for the responses, guys. I was also able to confirm with the order manager at the dealership that Option PPA includes Sound Package Plus on the Base Cayman, and not Bose. The order guide is clearly wrong.

Sigh...I should have known the $1,145 back of the envelope savings by taking the package deal was too good to be true. But it actually worked out fine in the end. I deleted the $1,990 Preferred Package option and replaced it with the following options a-la-carte:

- heated seats $500 (08 pricing went up by $20)
- Sound Package Plus $715

I'm also going to get "Boxster" embroidered Lloyd floor mats ($115, same price as the Porsche mats, but better quality) and Boothe design aluminum billet locking wheel caps (approx $360, nearly 2X the cost of OEM, but again much better quality, and also less theft prone). Plus I'll have nearly enough left over (compared to taking PPA) to pick up a dual round sports exhaust tip (approx $440).

I originally wanted Bose (it's the least sucky of three sucky audio system options), but the combination of the $1,665 a-la-carte price and knowing the Bose system can't be easily upgraded swayed me in the direction of Sound Package Plus in the end.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:12 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Don't forget to get the windstop.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM
narbeh
Track Day

question.... how can you tell if you have bi-xenons? i bought mine used at 20K a few months ago
Old 07-03-2007, 02:03 PM
vladie22
Instructor

Originally Posted by narbeh
question.... how can you tell if you have bi-xenons? i bought mine used at 20K a few months ago
a couple ways . 1.xenons come with headlight washers . if you look under the light itself and see the little washer bulbs , chances are you have xenons .2. xenons take a second or two to come on when you turn the headlight switch on .3.xenons are MUCH brighter than halogens . turn on your lights ,get out and look at them from the front of the car . you can tell by the intensity and purplish color .
Old 07-03-2007, 02:07 PM
narbeh
Track Day

yea i do have xenons, i just thought there was a distinction between xenon and bixenon. i have headlight washers, but not sure how they work... (sorry to hijack this thread)
Old 07-03-2007, 02:11 PM
vladie22
Instructor

oh ,im sorry . if im correct , bi-xenon means that both lo and hi beam bulbs are xenon . some older xenon systems only had lo beam bulbs and used regular bulbs for hi beam . if you have the xenons , they are bi-xenon .

Quick Reply: Did you order Preferred Package (Option PPA) with your BASE Boxster?