Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

selling 993; looking hard at Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Burt Goodwin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default selling 993; looking hard at Cayman

After four 911's and one Boxster over the years, I'm pulling the plug and selling my rare(custom color) '98 C2S, near-perfect concours winner, Rennsport/Daytona exhibitor with 33k miles. Why? Well, it's become a garage queen of sorts, last few months of air-cooled manufacture, low mileage example, very rare Forest Green Metallic, etc.,etc. But now I feel guilty driving the beast and putting "miles" on it...I know, I know. I recently drove the Cayman, both base and S, and really liked it, not only performance but styling as well. And with a Cayman, I can drive the thing! To avoid dreaded depreciation and, possibly sales tax as well, I'm looking for a low-miles Cayman. Any advice from you experts? Do I still have to worry about porous engine castings and RMS leaks like my '02 Boxster? Advice solicited. TIA.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Keep the 993!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:30 PM
joey c
Pro

drive the hell out of the 993
Old 01-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ever thought about having 2 Porsches?

Why not keep the 993 and get a used Cayman or 996 as a DD?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:32 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Burt
I sold my nicely modded daily driver 993 & bought a new CS last summer. After 5000 miles I love the Cayman & have absolutely no regrets. Aesthetic decisions are personal so I won't comment on that. I do miss my 993's exhaust sound, but will eventually find a remedy in an aftermarket exhaust. Otherwise, the CS excells in every performance, comfort & convenience area, both on street & track. A new car warranty is very nice as is the greater safety offered by side & head airbags, PSM, etc.

I know of no common design or manufacture problems. There have been a few new model bugs, but they're by no means widespread. PM me if you have any specific questions or search at caymanclub.net where the reception to such inquiries is both more helpful & less hostile.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:20 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep the 993. I considered the same thing with my 993 for about 30 seconds. The sales guy at the dealership actually talked me out of it citing build quality and projected resale value.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:26 PM
McJohn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my 964 to buy a Cayman.

I have just had a fantastic winter drive through the Scottish highlands in the Cayman, one of the best days driving I've EVER had, and frankly it makes my old 911 feel like a tractor by comparison. Time moves on, and the chassis of the Cayman is light years ahead of the air cooled cars. I don't regret my decison for a second, albeit that the Cayman will depreciate.

Or save some money. Keep the 993, and buy a set of rose tinted specs to admire it through. I imagine Rennlist must get bulk purchase discount for them. God knows, there are enough people on here wear them.

McJohn
Old 01-21-2007, 12:55 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by McJohn

Or save some money. Keep the 993, and buy a set of rose tinted specs to admire it through. I imagine Rennlist must get bulk purchase discount for them. God knows, there are enough people on here wear them.

McJohn

I think that is one of the funniest posts I have read!

Seriously, I have a Cayman S and have had a 993. They are very different cars as you know by driving them. Go with what moves YOU. If you keep the 993, drive it! If you can afford both, get the Cayman and DRIVE both. The 993 is probably worth decent money, but what's the point of owning it and not enjoying it? Unless you do like wearing those rose tinted specs!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,664 Likes on 2,330 Posts

matt,
when will your white gt3 arrive?
Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
matt,
when will your white gt3 arrive?
around the end of Feb.
It had been taken for production as of this past week sometime.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:15 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you want a new Porsche. If you drove and enjoy the Cayman, know you will be driving it much more than the 993, and will have more "daily" enjoyment, you should get a great price for your C2S. Great to have these options. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
...but what's the point of owning it and not enjoying it?
+1. The decision is that simple in my book. If you're not enjoying your 993, move on...
Old 01-23-2007, 02:45 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I have a 993, a Ruf BTR. It is much more rare than a 98 C2S. It also has 118k miles on it. I drive that car without reservations. I cannot understand why people own Porsches and not drive them. Whenever I see RListers posting that they just bought a 97 993 with 18k miles, (or something like that) I felt bad for the PO. They had just wasted one of the most enjoyable driving experience one could have. I don't care what the resale value is for my Ruf with the high miles. I loose more if it sits in the garage.

I also have a base Cayman. The most competent daily driver I have ever had, and loads of fun to drive. I know I might offend a lot of people with this assessment, but the Cayman (IMHO) is a Miata on steroids. I bought it because it is fun, it is cheap (for a Porsche) to buy. It is cheap to run (I use regular unleaded in my Cayman) and I can park it anywhere without betting an eye. It is a car of ultimate utility and daily fun for me. However, if I go driving seriously, I'm taking my Ruf.

I'd say get the Cayman. It is a great car. If you can afford it, keep the 993. I know I will.

Good luck.

CP
Old 01-23-2007, 07:31 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
I have a 993, a Ruf BTR. It is much more rare than a 98 C2S. It also has 118k miles on it. I drive that car without reservations. I cannot understand why people own Porsches and not drive them. Whenever I see RListers posting that they just bought a 97 993 with 18k miles, (or something like that) I felt bad for the PO. They had just wasted one of the most enjoyable driving experience one could have. I don't care what the resale value is for my Ruf with the high miles. I loose more if it sits in the garage.

I also have a base Cayman. The most competent daily driver I have ever had, and loads of fun to drive. I know I might offend a lot of people with this assessment, but the Cayman (IMHO) is a Miata on steroids. I bought it because it is fun, it is cheap (for a Porsche) to buy. It is cheap to run (I use regular unleaded in my Cayman) and I can park it anywhere without betting an eye. It is a car of ultimate utility and daily fun for me. However, if I go driving seriously, I'm taking my Ruf.

I'd say get the Cayman. It is a great car. If you can afford it, keep the 993. I know I will.

Good luck.

CP
I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
I couldn't agree more.
+1

My 993 will have a Cayman garage-mate as soon as I can get one @40K$.

Quick Reply: selling 993; looking hard at Cayman