Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

selling 993; looking hard at Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:05 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my Cayman S new for my wife... She drove it for about a month and said she was bored with the car and wanted a 993 widebody... After some searching I found her a C4S and she's in 7th heaven... So, I got the Cayman S and after a few months of driving it I was bored with the car... So I set out on a quest to fine the Porsche I've wanted for years "The America Roadster"...

Having found one now it was time to work a deal for my CS... The best offer I could get from a dealer was $45,000 for a car that a few months ago stickered for $72,000 (go figure)... I'LL NEVER BUY A NEW PORSCHE AGAIN - AND I MEAN NEVER!!!

Believe me, you will find that Cayman for $40,000 or less very soon... Their value is dropping like a rock... Too bad, it's a nice car and well made but the dealers can't unload the cars they have so unfortunately it's driving down the value of the car...
Old 01-23-2007, 10:50 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Having found one now it was time to work a deal for my CS... The best offer I could get from a dealer was $45,000 for a car that a few months ago stickered for $72,000 (go figure)... I'LL NEVER BUY A NEW PORSCHE AGAIN - AND I MEAN NEVER!!!

Any time that you sell a car to a Dealer without motivating him by linking the sale to a new car purchase, you are going to get a rock bottom wholesale price. If the Dealer bought your car for $45K, he will probably advertise it for $59K and then make the buyer think that he was getting a deal by reducing the price by a couple of $K.

but the dealers can't unload the cars they have so unfortunately it's driving down the value of the car...

You've made that statement several times but what's your evidence to support it? My bet is that it's purely anecdotal. In my area there are far fewer '06 Cayman Ss on Dealer lots than '06 997s. So does that mean that the price of 997s will fall like a rock?

So, I got the Cayman S and after a few months of driving it I was bored with the car.

So you and your wife both quickly got bored with the CS. You better hope that she doesn't get bored with the 993 because if you sell it back to the Dealer you'll take another big hit. Of course not as big as the CS because the 993 is an 8+ year old model that has long since been off the steep depreciation curve.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:10 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
but the dealers can't unload the cars they have so unfortunately it's driving down the value of the car...

You've made that statement several times but what's your evidence to support it? My bet is that it's purely anecdotal. In my area there are far fewer '06 Cayman Ss on Dealer lots than '06 997s. So does that mean that the price of 997s will fall like a rock?
The evidence is that the dealers are putting NEW Caymans through the Manheim auction... The reserve doesn't get met so you ask WHY should they do such a thing? Because they are trying to force Porsche into some HEFTY rebates... We will NEVER know whether or not Porsche gives in under the pressure because it will be a private rebate program to the dealers and not offered to buyers...

Take a look at all the Caymans up for sale by private owners... They're not selling either unless the owner takes a bath on the price...

Like I said the Cayman S is a very nice car... Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world for a reason... You name me another car company that could take a Boxster put a hardtop on it and make the buyers believe they're getting something special... Now that's marketing... The American car companies should take a lesson from this marketing sceme...

Nuf said on this topic for me!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:47 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

I think if you enjoy driving a porsche, but are to worried about getting it dirty (figure of speech)...then whats the point. Id ditch the 993 for a used cayman S and modify the hell out of it. or...you could get a 997C2S like i got and find new meaning in driving enjoyment.

As a prior owner, I can vouch for the handling and balance. the cayman is a wonderful car. For me it was a great introduction into the world of porsche. If i were you i would head over to caymanclub to find other 993 owners who have gone down the same path...as was mentioned, lots of good info there and a few interesting characters as well. good luck.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Burt Goodwin
Instructor

As of today, my '98 C2S has been sold; paperwork going back and forth to finalize the deal. Ads were out only a week or so. Now, I guess it's on to the Cayman S route. Will probably look for an '06 from a private seller, not only to help take a bite out of the first-year depreciation issue, but to avoid state sales tax, which would amount to about $4k on a new car. Is there anything in particular to look out for with an '06? I'm pretty well versed in the potential or hidden problems of a 993, but this is a whole new ball game. Any pearls of wisdom appreciated, as well as any good sources to begin looking for a Cayman. TIA.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any time that you sell a car to a Dealer without motivating him by linking the sale to a new car purchase, you are going to get a rock bottom wholesale price.
Sadly, my brother just tried to trade his one year old, 8k mile CS (which stickered at $73k) on a new car (non-Porsche) and was only offered $46k. It might have something to do with the time of year, but I think that's just a dealer's way right now. You'd be far better off trying to sell outright...but that's always the case. Still, it's quite disappointing how little dealers are willing to pay for perfectly good cars.

FYI it looks like he's going to keep it.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:50 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Doug,

He is saving it for you and your big move.

CP
Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Sadly, my brother just tried to trade his one year old, 8k mile CS (which stickered at $73k) on a new car (non-Porsche) and was only offered $46k. It might have something to do with the time of year, but I think that's just a dealer's way right now. You'd be far better off trying to sell outright...but that's always the case. Still, it's quite disappointing how little dealers are willing to pay for perfectly good cars.

I know that I took a nice hit when I sold my Audi TT. I think it may have something to do with the tiny market for two seat autos. Even the tiny seat in the 911 is preferable to no seat at all. On the other hand 996s have also depreciated dramatically, so I'm not certain what's going on. One of my neighbors paid $85K for a 996 40th anniversary car and was only offered $48K on a trade-in. That's $37K in less than 3 years.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CP
Doug,

He is saving it for you and your big move.

CP
Here's hoping!

Fast1 I think you're right...limited market...two seat car...winter...I think it all plays into it. I also think there's a money point (..say...above $50k..) where people just won't buy used...depreciation be damned.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:16 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

One of my neighbors paid $85K for a 996 40th anniversary car and was only offered $48K on a trade-in. That's $37K in less than 3 years.
Wow

37k in three years is hideous
Old 01-24-2007, 03:39 PM
fast1
Race Car

Fast1 I think you're right...limited market...two seat car...winter...I think it all plays into it. I also think there's a money point (..say...above $50k..) where people just won't buy used...depreciation be damned.

Doug -I think you bring up an excellent point about used cars over $50K. I was looking at a very well equipped '04 996 with 12K miles that was being offered for $55K. Any car that's been on the road for three years even for only 12K miles is not going to be perfect, and when you start to think about all of the new cars that you could buy for $55K, you have to hesitate. It just so happened for example that I was also looking at a new '06 M3 vert with 60 miles just before I saw the 996, and the M3 was being discounted $11K to $54K. So do I go with the new M3 with a 4 yr bumper to bumper warranty and free maintenance for 4 yrs or a used 996 with about a year and a half remaining on the warranty.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

[B]So do I go with the new M3 with a 4 yr bumper to bumper warranty and free maintenance for 4 yrs or a used 996 with about a year and a half remaining on the warranty.
Yeah, good example and point about full warranty, etc. Although, a year old Cayman S with CPO from Porsche means one is actually buying a car with a longer warranty than when it came from the factory. But for the cars that are a few years older, the point is very valid.

I would also suggest that a $50k plus buyer wants a new car to be "virgin only touched by me" new. I know that was part of the reason my brother bought a new Cayman S vs. a slightly used 996. (That, and the Cayman S is cooler.. )

Of course, for me, it would be "do I spend $50k on this slightly used Porsche or spend $25k on a Boxster that's a few years old and $25k on a brand new Subaru to have a new car w/warranty?".

...who am I kidding, if I had $50k to spend on a car I'd get a base Cayman and an extra set of winter wheels/tires.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

Burt,

There have been a few hiccups with the Cayman...lots of loose pressure plate bolts which in turn changed shifting into mud. easy fix though and under warranty for most caymans at this point. some have had problems with cluncking in the rear hatch and a few other things, but nothing really major. I would again steer you towards caymanclub. there is a huge user base there and if you go to the complaints section you will find the answers you are looking for. the only thing i would be really concerned about is whether or not the car was broken in properly, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while. My cayman S is still for sale, but its in Charlotte and at the dealer. good luck.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 PM
wushuhsu
Intermediate

Keep the 993. It's a classic. The Cayman will soon be just another one in a long list of 924, 944, 928, and other models that Porsche AG has killed off. Porsche AG is doing everything possible to screw up a great car.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wushuhsu
Keep the 993. It's a classic. The Cayman will soon be just another one in a long list of 924, 944, 928, and other models that Porsche AG has killed off. Porsche AG is doing everything possible to screw up a great car.
I don't know about the screwing up the car thing... There was a time when Porsches were designed by engineers and then hand built (993 and earlier models)... Those days are now long gone ushering in an era of design groups and mass produced cars... I feel if you look at the resale values of the Boxster then you will get an idea where the Cayman will be in the future... I know this pisses off Cayman owners but it's reality... At the moment they can't even sell them at the auto auctions...

Best way to buy a Cayman is at the right price used then do the mods that are necessary (the way Porsche should have made it) to get it at or better then the performance of the 997...

Quick Reply: selling 993; looking hard at Cayman