Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Vibration around 1900 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 02:47 PM
CayS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Vibration around 1900 RPM

Today, I noticed a slight engine vibration around 1900 RPM. It starts at around 1850 RPM and disappears at about 1950 RPM. It can only be felt when the car is standing still (not when driven) and it occurs with the manual transmission in neutral with depressed and non-depressed clutch pedal. Engine temperature (cold or warm) doesn't affect it either.
The vibration is very small but it can be felt in the seat. The symptom doesn't have to be new - I just never revved up the engine ever so sloooowly to have enough time to actually notice it.
Does anybody else have this symptom, or am I the only one?
I would really appreciate some feedback, because my Porsche dealer is 290 Miles away and I would hate to drive all the way to Albuquerque just to be told that "they all do that".

Greetings Rainer
Old 12-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by CayS
Today, I noticed a slight engine vibration around 1900 RPM. It starts at around 1850 RPM and disappears at about 1950 RPM. It can only be felt when the car is standing still (not when driven) and it occurs with the manual transmission in neutral with depressed and non-depressed clutch pedal. Engine temperature (cold or warm) doesn't affect it either.
The vibration is very small but it can be felt in the seat. The symptom doesn't have to be new - I just never revved up the engine ever so sloooowly to have enough time to actually notice it.
Does anybody else have this symptom, or am I the only one?
I would really appreciate some feedback, because my Porsche dealer is 290 Miles away and I would hate to drive all the way to Albuquerque just to be told that "they all do that".

Greetings Rainer
My guess is engine harmonics. I wouldn't worry about it. It seems consistant with that.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:40 PM
CayS
Intermediate

Thanks Likemystoppie?
What is the cause of such harmonics? Are they in a similar range for each (stock) vehicle type?

Greetings Rainer
Old 12-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

The next time you service it I'd bring to the Service Managers attention. It 'might' be a faulty engine mount, but who knows. All engines have harmonics.

But I highly doubt it's anything to worry about.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:16 PM
CayS
Intermediate

"But I highly doubt it's anything to worry about."

Sounds good to me, Likemystoppie?

Let me have a beer too
Old 12-06-2006, 11:58 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why would you rev the the car in neutral?
Thats not a normal occernce in nomral operation, when you do weiid things besides driving your car you may get a weaird response from the car
Old 12-07-2006, 08:56 PM
CayS
Intermediate

Thank you 99firehawk for your insight.
Read my initial post to get the answer.
I also don't think that 1900 RPM can be called "revving the engine" - for a Porsche that's less thn a decent "clutch-drop RPM".
Old 12-07-2006, 10:43 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You state "if I rev the car very slowly in neutral " theres no reason for that
Old 12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
You state "if I rev the car very slowly in neutral " theres no reason for that

Because they sound sweet? I've done this to every car I've owned that had a good sound, for enjoyment. It's not like it's harmful - sheesh.

If you take a second and read the initial post carefully, you'll see that he was slowly revving in order to diagnose the engine vibration to see if it occured in neutral, to effectively rule out transmission as a source of vibrations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to Rennlist, Rainer!

My intial thought is harmonics also.

The following is Wild Speculation: At that RPM, vibration from the motor is at a frequency that is not dampened by the motor mounts so it spreads out and you feel/hear it. I'll bet there's an engineering team tearing their hair out because they couldn't fix it before the car went into production. It may be a impossible fix, as "re-designing motor mount location and construction" is not exactly a little upgrade. Look for it to be solved with Cayman Generation II.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:59 AM
ryanawesome
Advanced

Its a mechanical device. It will make noises. Stop being a "Luxury car owner" and go out and enjoy being a "Sports car owner"
Old 12-08-2006, 09:00 AM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ryanawesome
Its a mechanical device. It will make noises. Stop being a "Luxury car owner" and go out and enjoy being a "Sports car owner"
What's with the newbie bashing on the Cayman S forum?

These are Porsches, not Mazdas. We expect perfection!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

...Okay you two.........you go to your corner and you go to your corner..........now COOL off!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:03 PM
CayS
Intermediate

I wonder why it is so hard for some people to stay on the technical level and write a meaningful answer or nothing at all !

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
You state "If I rev the car very slowly in neutral " theres no reason for that
Maybe YOU can't think of a reason, but I had one. I was calibrating the low RPM setting of my "GTech RR" to the Porsche tach and didn't want to do that while I was driving.
Fair enough?

Originally Posted by ryanawesome
Thanks Ryan, this is the 24th car in my life (the last six were sports cars made by Nissan, Lexus, BMW and Mercedes), but your post was definitely mind-opening. So they are indeed mechanical devices, aren't they??

JEC_31: Thank you for the welcome.
I have never had any of my latest cars produce this kind of "engine shaking" vibration at any RPM. However, some Cayman S drivers in other Porsche forums tried it at the red lights and were surprised to find exactly the same symptom; so I guess it is a common issue.
I was really primarily worried about being one of the unlucky Cayman S owners with an undertorqued flywheel getting out of balance.

Greetings Rainer
Old 12-08-2006, 04:10 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
...Okay you two.........you go to your corner and you go to your corner..........now COOL off!
Coach said HE took my french fries!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:12 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CayS
I have never had any of my latest cars produce this kind of "engine shaking" vibration at any RPM. However, some Cayman S drivers in other Porsche forums tried it at the red lights and were surprised to find exactly the same symptom; so I guess it is a common issue.
I was really primarily worried about being one of the unlucky Cayman S owners with an undertorqued flywheel getting out of balance.

Greetings Rainer

Ooohh - I had forgotten about the undertorqued flywheels. Dang teething problems with new models. I hope that's not it!

Got any pics of your S?

Quick Reply: Engine Vibration around 1900 RPM