Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Vibration around 1900 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:03 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no under torqued flywheels, under torqued pressure plates.

That said

if theres something wrong with your car it will do it under normal circumstances
not on tuesdays at 5 ioclock when the temperature s 73 degrees.
Im sorry i get really jadded to all the bs comlpaints i deal with every day and alot that people post on here
Old 12-08-2006, 07:33 PM
CayS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
Correct; it's the pressure plate. My mistake.

...if theres something wrong with your car it will do it under normal circumstances not on tuesdays at 5 ioclock when the temperature s 73 degrees.
Who said that the car does it only under certain conditions? It does it always, just like you said: "under normal circumstances". I don't consider 1900 RPM abnormal - even without load.

Im sorry i get really jadded to all the bs comlpaints i deal with every day and alot that people post on here
Well don't. You may think, or even know, they're nothing; for the posting person it may be a real nerve wrecker.

JEC_31: Is there a page on this site that explains how to insert a picture into text?

Greetings Rainer
Old 12-08-2006, 08:19 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

That said

if theres something wrong with your car it will do it under normal circumstances
not on tuesdays at 5 ioclock when the temperature s 73 degrees.
It's OK dude.
It's really easy to fall into the mistake of venting your frustration on teh intraweb. I've done it myself, and it's not polite. I totally understand that as a P-car tech, you're exposed to the worst apsects of these fine machines - and the worst traits of their owners too. Try to not vent on fellow Rennlisters though, especially newbies.

Based on your experience as a P-car tech, what do you honestly think the noise could be? Normal harmonics or something about to break?

- Josh
Old 12-09-2006, 12:49 AM
CayS
Intermediate

Josh,
Thanks for your PM - really appreciate your help!
I hava uploaded some pictures of my relatively new 2007 CS (2500 Miles).
It's a great car and I enjoy it immensely (I find myself driving detours on a nice morning - and we have a lot here in El Paso).

Greetings Rainer
Attached Images   
Old 12-09-2006, 01:41 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JEC_31
Based on your experience as a P-car tech, what do you honestly think the noise could be? Normal harmonics or something about to break?

- Josh

normal harmonics, think about how an engihe works you have heavy objects rotaing at 1000s of rpms each 1 rpm there is 6 explosisons, you are going to to get noise and you are going to get some vibration.
Every engien will do it but on most cars your not 4 inchs from the engine.
Trust me if something is gonna pop you will either know ell before or not at all thers really no in between
Old 12-09-2006, 10:02 AM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

normal harmonics, think about how an engihe works you have heavy objects rotaing at 1000s of rpms each 1 rpm there is 6 explosisons, you are going to to get noise and you are going to get some vibration.
Every engien will do it but on most cars your not 4 inchs from the engine.
Trust me if something is gonna pop you will either know ell before or not at all thers really no in between

Cool - the harmonics is what I suspected too, because it's only at a very narrow RPM range. Something just isn't quite damping them at that particular frequency. I hadn't even considered how close a driver is to the Cayman's powerplant - I remember when I first sat in one at the Detroit auto show, I was slowly snicking through the gears just to hear each precise little click-thunk of gear engagement, clearly audible above the crowd noise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rainer - you are quite welcome. Beautiful color combination! Thanks for the pics!

Do you feel a wee bit better about your vibration based on the Rennlist Long-Distance Diagnosis?
Old 12-09-2006, 06:26 PM
CayS
Intermediate

Default Beautiful Day Trip

Just came back from an ad-hoc 200-mile, 4-hour ride through southern New Mexico. There is a beautiful scenic 35-mile stretch of road from Ruidoso to Cloudcroft, which runs through the Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation into the Sacramento Mountains. The road stays, for the most part, at an altitude of around 7000'. I loved to drive it with my SLK about a year ago and kind of forgot about its beauty ... until this morning. My wife went Christmas shopping, which can take forever, so I "saddled the horse" and drove from El Paso via Alamogordo into the Lincoln National Forest surrounding Ruidoso, climbing steadily to over 7000'. From there, I took NM24, a winding road with gorgeous views, specifically designed for the Cayman, back to Cloudcroft. An 8-mile descend on US82, wth some switchbacks took me from 7000' down to 4000' into the Tularosa Basin. Then I took US54 along White Sands back to El Paso.
The Cayman S is absolutely unbelievable - must have been built for these roads. Suspension, steering, engine, never before was it easier - and more fun - to maneuver any of my previous cars through this terrain, with maybe the exception of my 1990 RX7! The Mazda was also outstanding on curvy roads, albeit without the solid roadfeel and the engine oomph, when desired (excellent, but totally underpowered chassis in my opinion).

The fun-factor of the Cayman S makes this car worth every penny!
Oh yes, shortly after departure, I totally forgot about any vibration issues...

JEC_31 and 99firehawk thank you for your collaborative support of my problem. And yes, it does feel better to get the opinion of a Porsche Tech about it!!

Greetings Rainer
Old 12-09-2006, 08:54 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CayS
Just came back from an ad-hoc 200-mile, 4-hour ride through southern New Mexico. There is a beautiful scenic 35-mile stretch of road from Ruidoso to Cloudcroft, which runs through the Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation into the Sacramento Mountains. The road stays, for the most part, at an altitude of around 7000'. I loved to drive it with my SLK about a year ago and kind of forgot about its beauty ... until this morning. My wife went Christmas shopping, which can take forever, so I "saddled the horse" and drove from El Paso via Alamogordo into the Lincoln National Forest surrounding Ruidoso, climbing steadily to over 7000'. From there, I took NM24, a winding road with gorgeous views, specifically designed for the Cayman, back to Cloudcroft. An 8-mile descend on US82, wth some switchbacks took me from 7000' down to 4000' into the Tularosa Basin. Then I took US54 along White Sands back to El Paso.
The Cayman S is absolutely unbelievable - must have been built for these roads. Suspension, steering, engine, never before was it easier - and more fun - to maneuver any of my previous cars through this terrain, with maybe the exception of my 1990 RX7! The Mazda was also outstanding on curvy roads, albeit without the solid roadfeel and the engine oomph, when desired (excellent, but totally underpowered chassis in my opinion).

The fun-factor of the Cayman S makes this car worth every penny!
Oh yes, shortly after departure, I totally forgot about any vibration issues...

JEC_31 and 99firehawk thank you for your collaborative support of my problem. And yes, it does feel better to get the opinion of a Porsche Tech about it!!

Greetings Rainer
You're welcome - and thank YOU for letting me live vicariously through a well-written description of a great drive!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:12 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

p.s. I am amazed that you've placed the lowly FC RX-7 amongst such rarified company as a Cayman S in canyon carving. Of my several 7s, my last was a '90 base model which made up for it's lack of power with balance, sharp response, poise, and grip galore with only mod being a set of Dunlop SP Sport 5000s. It was great fun until I blew the fragile Wankel up, and then I sold it as a project (sold the small block V8 I had lined up for it too, dammit). Then I had a Porsche for a while, an amazing 928S, and now I'm hooked on P-cars. You don't know know much of a vulture I will be watching Cayman (S and non) depreciation...
Old 12-10-2006, 02:18 PM
CayS
Intermediate

I'm with you. I, too, never thought the RX7 was a lowly car. Even though underpowered with its meager 160 bhp / 140 ft-lbs Wankel, it was way ahead of the pack in many other aspects, IMHO. You already mentioned the most prominent ones, let me add turn-in, which was just amazingly effortless. My next car was a Nissan 300ZX that was quickly traded in for a 300ZX Twin Turbo. I liked their design, and I had power galore, which is what I had been longing for. BUT they were front-heavy and plowed like a Cadillac sedan. The RX7-like graceful steering response was an unknown term in Nissan's sports car dictionary.
That was when I understood what a great car the RX7 had been.

Greetings Rainer
Old 12-15-2006, 02:09 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

My 88 Carrera makes an interesting noise between 1,900 and 2,100 RPMs. Interestingly enough, I was going to post, but then I found this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/317968-2200rpm-coasting-engine-noise.html which indicates that others have seen this as well. I call it "engine resonant frequency."

Quick Reply: Engine Vibration around 1900 RPM