Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

Wavering on the Cayman, your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006 | 09:57 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CP
May be I am the wrong guy to even consider a fun sports car. I really have to examine myself and see if I am wasting cars like S2000, and Cayman as a daily driver.

Man why do I even own a RUF? Life's one big mystery to me.

CP
Going from an RX330 to an S2000 or Cayman as a daily? I would think you already had something major figured out?
Old 09-07-2006 | 01:59 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

yes, CT SC
i will check out rylan, thanks.
Old 09-07-2006 | 02:17 PM
CP
Race Director

Joe,

Is the SC kit legal in CA, i.e. does it have a CARB number?

How do you like it thus far.

Thanks.

CP
Old 09-07-2006 | 02:36 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

CP,
i'm running a stock S2k. It's a hell of a lot of fun so far, I will track next month in DE and it will hold me over until next p-car.

i just thought i'd put up the SC as a fun teaser, to extend the notion that the car is capable of extended performace. There are plenty of guys over at www.s2ki.com who have modified cars and can answer any specific questions you have regarding SC and tuning.

I'm glad you are taking the car for a ride - hope it helps in your decision making.
Old 09-07-2006 | 05:28 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CP
Joe,

Is the SC kit legal in CA, i.e. does it have a CARB number?

How do you like it thus far.

Thanks.

CP

Yes, the CTSC and the vortech (cheaper, more boost) are Carb legal for CA. Very nice.

Funny thread. I've been a Porsche die hard for year, but I just bought a 2002 Honda S2000. Immediately bought a big booming exhaust to fit in with the indigenous population. Its an awesome car, if you like convertibles. The hard top actuall seems to add noise (I don't have one, quoting car and driver). AP1s (2000-2003) are 2.0L and 2004-2007 are 2.2L, 9000k and 8000k redlines, respectively.

Power from 2-4 is pretty weak, but above that it is suitable, and above 6500 it is downright fun.

The superchargers are a great way to add more power, A few people are at over 400rwhp with the SC, stock internals.

AEM makes a 1052U (internal UEGO) for the S2000 - plug and play (with a good tune). That computer is the real deal, and is about 1700. With that and larger injectors, the cars are surviving at over 400rwhp for a good long while.

The aftermarket is a little bit geared for the 18 year old speed racers in us all, but there are some very good products, ready to ship and install. A race built engine is about 7k or less and as stated the weight can get down to 2600 pretty easily.

Just drive one as you had planned. I have never driven a miata, but its a bit too round for my tastes, and being even smaller then the S2000 is a bit iffy for me. There is helmet space with the top up (comming from a 928 that is refreshing) and as I said, there is no end to the aftermarket.

Last edited by BC; 09-08-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-07-2006 | 05:30 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

I think the trunk on the S2000 is quite Capable. Take out the tools and the holder, put some sound deadening in there, and go.
Old 09-08-2006 | 01:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

AP1s (2000-2003) are 2.0L and 2004-2007 are 2.2L, 8000k and 9000k redlines, respectively.
Old 09-08-2006 | 01:52 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by CP
Hi,

As of 2 weeks ago, I was 99% sure I'd go with a Cayman for 2007. Now I'm not so sure. Please advise.

Here is the background to my dilemma. I had a 1996 Miata with a Jackson racing SC, Racing Beat free-flow headers and exhaust, and Bilstein coil overs. 215 HP on 2,280#s. That car was a total hoot to drive. Insanely fun around the corners. My wife made me sell it as it was light, single air-bag, and admittedly skittish at high speed. I sold it and got my RUF BTR. But I never forgot how much fun that Miata was.

My current daily driver is a Lexus RX330, and I will replace it next year with an every-day fun car. I locked on the Cayman as I deemed it as a Miata on Steroids.

Last weekend, I test-drove a NC (current model) MX-5 Miata, and it is just sick. The shifter is heavenly. Adequate power, and truely corners like it is on rails. Then I read that the Miata will ship the PRHT (electric hard top) version in the very near future. I almost bought the SLK just for the electric hard top, so the Miata with the PRHT is just the ticket for me. BTW, I don't like soft tops, so I never considered a Boxster. My 1996 Miata came with a hard top, that I never removed.

Now I learn from a very reliable source that Mazda is seriousely considering the MPS (Mazda Performance Series) version for the Miata. They will put the 2.3L DISI turbo-charged engine in the Miata. This engine is currently used in the CX-7 and the mazdaSpeed 6. Makes 244 HP and 260 ft-# torque. Put that with the PRHT and that is my dream car, likely as an 08 model.

So now I'm torn between the Cayman and the Miata. I am convinced with the right suspension, wheel and tire pakage, the Miata will stay with the Cayman, and be just as fun to drive. It also helps that it is some $20k cheaper to buy, and costs peanuts to maintain.

One of the down-side for the Miata is the small tank. I can only expect 250 miles per fill up, while the base Cayman may get me 350 miles.

So now you know the rest of the story. What do you think? Please remember that I already have an uber Porsche in my RUF BTR, so the Cayman is not going to deliver more of a Porsche for me. Oh, I don't track or do auto-x, so this purely a fun car for daily use.

Thanks for the input.

CP
So, why are you looking at a Cayman? You miss your convertible, but you want a Porsche. You want something as a compromise that like your RUF. I fail to see your logic in considering a Cayman. Why aren't you looking at a Boxster? The Boxster S gets the same 295 hp 3.4l at the Cayman S has for 2007. Remember the Ruf 3400S? Ruf used to swap 3.4l engine from a 996. Now you get the same setup from the factory.

I too had a Miata. I had a 2000 with the factory sports suspension. It is a lot of fun in the corners, but not the tightest and certainly not the fastest or most stable at higher speeds. I was severely disappointed by the new Miata. It has really grown soft and heavy. It has lost that tight turn-in and nimble feel in its growth over time. The new Hardtop model makes it even worse since it is close to 2700 lbs, versus your 96' that was 400 lbs lighter. I would expect the next Mazdaspeed version to be around 2800 lbs. I don't know if you ever had a chance to drive the last Mazdaspeed version, but it was a real disappointment in the corners with a very heavy front end.

A Boxster S will still be faster than the new Mazdaspeed. Yes, it will weigh about 300 lbs more than the Mazdaspeed, but it will still be the winner on the track with far better brakes, much larger wheels and tires. There is no comprison in top end stability. Personally, I didn't like the older 986 Boxsters. I found the handling awkward and the noises from the engine intrusive. The new 987 version is a gem. They have really muted the mechanical sounds of the engine and added a good sounding exhaust (I would not waste money on the sports exhaust). It's handling is far improved as are the chassis dynamics. With the windblocker in place and the windows up, you will be amazed at how you can actually hear the stereo and hold a conversation with the top down at 90 mph. What's even better is that you get the drop top and Cayman S performance for $4000 less than the cost of the Cayman S (I'm still trying to figure that one out).

If 280 hp is enough, you could pick up an 05' 3.2l Boxster S for around $50K. If you really want the extra performance of your RCT, you could just deliver a Boxster to Ruf where they can swap a new 3.8l Carrera S X51 engine in it, good for close to 400 hp.
Old 09-08-2006 | 11:54 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ryssyr
i had a miata before i moved on to the 997. much better car (more expensive, but hell i've wanted a p-car since i was 12)

there is a huge difference in build quality and ride. my miata felt like being inside a wristwatch. my 997 feels like i'm inside big ben.
No kidding. I came from a Miata as well (it was an auto-x car so it was a little more harsh than most Miatas.... pic.

Although the Miata was fun to drive and toss around.. I felt *cheap* inside the car. It was loud, bouncy, cramped, funky ergos and pretty gutless at 105 HP. Going to the 964 was a HUGE jump. So much so I totally chunked my first autox in the 964 because I was used to the slow speed of the MX. Things were moving A LOT faster...

My buddy has and S2000 and we'd taken it around the Sawtooth (I think that's what they are called) mountins north of Boise and boy, that car can boogie, is quiet, solid (a bit claustrophobic) and of course.. just like any Honda.. almost borders on boring (too refined).

While I was driving my P-car up the highway home from work.. I was thinking... 'If I was in my Miata... I'd be cursing now'.

So.. digressing. Dive the S2000 before you do anything. I personaly don't find them that impressive but I'm more than just a tad ecentric in my motorsports tastes.... so any additional purchase advice from me would likely be counterproductive.

- D
Old 09-08-2006 | 02:34 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
AP1s (2000-2003) are 2.0L and 2004-2007 are 2.2L, 8000k and 9000k redlines, respectively.

I did. I've corrected that. I knew I shouldn't have gone and done the "respectively" word usage.
Old 09-08-2006 | 03:45 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

I also looked at getting an S2000 a couple of times. It is a good handling car with one of the sweetest shifters you will ever move. Coming from a Miata, the interior is smaller and I simply don't fit in it. I have no arm/shoulder room and my back can't rest flat against the backrest in the lower lumbar area. The other thing is the engine. Unless you are constantly shifting it at over 7000 rpms, the Miata is actually faster. The engine just keeps revving, it just never has a feeling that it has torque or power. If you are looking for something with a torquey more powerful engine, you probably won't be impressed...especially if you cam from a Miata with a JR SC.
Old 09-08-2006 | 03:58 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
I also looked at getting an S2000 a couple of times. It is a good handling car with one of the sweetest shifters you will ever move. Coming from a Miata, the interior is smaller and I simply don't fit in it. I have no arm/shoulder room and my back can't rest flat against the backrest in the lower lumbar area. The other thing is the engine. Unless you are constantly shifting it at over 7000 rpms, the Miata is actually faster. The engine just keeps revving, it just never has a feeling that it has torque or power. If you are looking for something with a torquey more powerful engine, you probably won't be impressed...especially if you cam from a Miata with a JR SC.

Interesting and enlightening comments. I drive an S2000 every day now, and the kick when the Vtec comes in is still a thrill. I supposed comming from a bigger engine (the 928 V-8) there is a distinct lack of "grunt" as they say, but I have found that there is quite a bit of power from 4500 up, obviously bursting from 6500-9000. You can drive the car handily and only get to 6500rpm to shift, and still it is fun.

Its just so light coming from a 928 (3400 vs 2700), and quite pleasing at all times.

I already have a supercharger, so with the purchase of an AEM EMS , and the kit from Vortech, which is around 3200, I can have 450 to the wheels with a thicker headgasket. The gear spacing is perfect, and downshifts are easy and quick.

The snap oversteer that has the AP1 version pegged as a bit difficult seems to be way overblown.

I think the issue was propagated by people who simply cam from Front wheel drive cars, and were not used to the (pleasing) propensity of a well balanced RWD car to peak its tail out sometimes while getting through a turn.

The balance actually feels like the 928, where slides are easily corrected, and you never feel like it could have gotten out of hand.

I can't wait to get on the track. I love building engines, and parts for building up these are cheap (comparitivetly). Sleeves can be installed at three separate places within 100 miles of me here in SoCal.
Old 09-08-2006 | 04:27 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Porsche's are HAND BUILT LOW PRODUCTION SUPER EXOTIC CARS. And in my honest opinion, the two couldn't be more different.
Old 09-08-2006 | 04:42 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Porsche's are HAND BUILT LOW PRODUCTION SUPER EXOTIC CARS. And in my honest opinion, the two couldn't be more different.
With all respect, Porsche stopped hand building thier cars long ago. The 928 was hand assembled, as was some of the 993 line. All the cars this thread has mentioned have four wheels, an engine, and suspensions for performance driving and track driving instead of boulevard cruising. They seem pretty similar. Thier intended uses are the same - fun. Some would say that the corvette Z-06 and MB AMG engines are more meticulously hand assembled than the engines that Porsche puts into thier cars.

Porsche is no longer a low production company, and other than the GT, and some of the GT-X cars they produce, are also not exotic.

I have been drinking the koolaid just as long as anyone else here, but I do also see these cars as an enthusiast does, and not a Porsche Snob, which is an important distinction. On the majority, Japanses car makers will separate thier products enough to always have room to engineer and design thier vehicles to be the best that platform can be.

The germans are constantly boxing up thier cars so that the egos of german car snobs are stroked enough when they see that a boxster is below a cayman and a cayman is below the 997, etc, when reality says a cayman could outperform ALL with properly maximized performance.

In Contrast, The miata is a miata, and is engineered (apart from the important comments made about its softening) to be the best it can be within the parameters. As is the S2000, which actually Honda's Flagship sports car, since it can actually outperform an NSX in certain environments, and the NSX is a brand away at Acura, and on its last legs.

Corvette? The Z-06 is the best it can be right now. Very little is held back for the reasons obviously laid out by Porsche internally for always looking at the ***-dragging 911 line as the top when it could be bested by thier more recent designs.
Old 09-08-2006 | 10:15 PM
CP
Race Director

Well Folks,

This afternoon I drove the Miata, the S2000, and the Cayman back-to-back-to-back on the same route. I am now FIRMLY in the Cayman camp. AGAIN.

As far as cornering goes, all 3 cars are sensational. We went on the Willow Road exit off 101, which is 2 clover-leafs back-to-back. Kind of like a giant skid pad. I took each car on the ramp 4 consecutive times, so I can get use to the cornering feel. All the cars were screaming on the ramps. (I drove the M and S with the tops up to minimize the speed-sensation distortion of the open-air drives). The Cayman more than held its own against the others. In fact it felt the most planted. Truely an amazing platform.

The tipping point of the Cayman is road comfort. On the same pavements on 101, the other 2 were like kayaks on choppy water, a lot of bouncy lifts. The Cayman absorbs all the pavement imperfactions. I know the roads are not smooth, but my butt and spine do not feel the distinct bumps that the M and the S throw at me. As I drive to Sacramento area quite a bit, the M and the S will likely beat me up on the drives. The Cayman offers the best of all worlds: sensational cornering, relaxed cruising, and 100 more miles per tank. How can I loose.

Seating comfort also goes to the Cayman. All the seats are supportive, but the S and the M have thin paddings, and the head rests are way back. The Cayman seat definitley feels far superior.

So, while I wondered away for a little while. I am coming home to Porsche. As price is not an issue for me, the Cayman is a 100% fit. Although the other 2 offer 80%-90% fun for far less money. They are great cars for what you pay.

Thanks for the input thus far. This has been a fun and educational thread.

CP

Quick Reply: Wavering on the Cayman, your opinion?